Please help!! A week old kitten...

billieviper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hy! My cat gave birth a week ago...the problem is that she is old (16) and the last time she had a kitten, it died because she had no milk. I didn´t know that back then, so this time I´ve decided to do everything to help the kitten survive. It seems to me that the kitten is nursing, but it hasn´t grown a bit since it was born and is really weak. The worst thing is when I hold it, all I can feel under my fingertips are its ribs and bones...its so skinny...

So anyway, I´ve been feeding it with a special kitten milk...but I have the hardest time feeding it because it won´t eat..I know I should feed it every two hours, but it just cries and cries and won´t swallow...so please help, any kind of advice is needed. Thank you.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by BillieViper

Hy! My cat gave birth a week ago...the problem is that she is old (16) and the last time she had a kitten, it died because she had no milk. I didn´t know that back then, so this time I´ve decided to do everything to help the kitten survive. It seems to me that the kitten is nursing, but it hasn´t grown a bit since it was born and is really weak. The worst thing is when I hold it, all I can feel under my fingertips are its ribs and bones...its so skinny...

So anyway, I´ve been feeding it with a special kitten milk...but I have the hardest time feeding it because it won´t eat..I know I should feed it every two hours, but it just cries and cries and won´t swallow...so please help, any kind of advice is needed. Thank you.
Ok...first breathe....second, how are you feeding this kitten?? You need to make sure that if you are using a bottle that the kitten is in a prone position (all four paws on the ground and head tilted upwards). Are you certain that the hole in the nipple is big enough?? I usually cut an x in the top so that the kitten can easily suck.

Do you know a vet in town that could look this little one over?? Also....at 16, it's really time for your mom cat to be spayed. Can you get her to a vet for that procedure??

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

billieviper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I´ve been feeding it with a syringe, I´ve tried with a bottle, even with a rubber glove (with a hole on the tip of the finger)...but it wont suck. So I have no other choice but to force-feed. That works, but I´m afraid that it isn´t getting enough food...(3-4ml every two hours..)..and that I might hurt him..

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I´ve been feeding it with a syringe, I´ve tried with a bottle, even with a rubber glove (with a hole on the tip of the finger)...but it wont suck. So I have no other choice but to force-feed. That works, but I´m afraid that it isn´t getting enough food...(3-4ml every two hours..)..and that I might hurt him..
Only a vet would be able to tell you for sure if he is getting adequate food. I would really recommend you take him to a vet.

Katie

billieviper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, but the product that I´m using is highly recommended as a replacement for mother´s milk...but I think I will visit a veterinarian. Thanks...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I know, but the product that I´m using is highly recommended as a replacement for mother´s milk...but I think I will visit a veterinarian. Thanks...
I had a kitten from a litter that didn't gain weight...turned out she had pneumonia. I am hoping that is not the case for you..which is why I would take this little one to the vet. Any way you can also get the mom cat fixed?? Give her some nice years of being kitten free??

Katie

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHY are you allowing a 16 yr old cat to have kittens? She should have been spayed a long time ago. Just like people, older queens will have more problems with birth, losing kittens, etc. They are NOT healthy and in turn, their kittens rarely survive.

I'm surprised the kitten has lasted a week. Unfortunately I feel the best thing is to let this kitten be put to sleep humanely and have the vet spay the mother.

billieviper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know she should have been spayed, but unfortunately I´m financially dependent and my parents wouldn´t listen to me. I´ve been saying it a lot, but they thought she wouldn´t have kittens anymore....obviously they were wrong..anyway, I´m not giving up on this little one, I´m going to try everything to help him survive.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree with what u said untill i saw about putting the kitten to sleep , take the little one to the vet's get him checked over first and then see what he say's if he think's he has the slightest chance of surving then give him that chance u owe him that much as if the mamma had been sapayed a long time ago it wouldn't have happend so it's ur duty to do all u can sorry golden i know u give out great advice but surly if it has a chance and ISN"T is any pain then do all u can for him

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
True, but kittens are very weak, and sometimes its better to let them go. Its a decision only each one of us can make. I find that those types of kittens will die anyway because its something medically wrong inside.

If this was a young mother, I'd say go ahead and try, but I'm willing to bet that kitten has a lot more wrong. Up to the poster if he/she wants to try.

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i agree but get a vet's opuion once he has checked this kitten over , i wouldn't just go ahead and keep trying as you do not know if this kitten is in any pain and if the vet think's it is the best thing to put him out of his pain then i know i wouldn't think twice i keept trying with a kitten as my vet said he wasn't in any pain even though he died 4 day's later but at least i know i did all i could for him

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Billyviper, I'm proud that you are doing everything that you can to help the kitten. It takes alot of strength to take care of an animal that you know may very well die any day and yet you keep on pushing to help it thrive and survive! 3 Cheers for BillyViper! You're such a good meowmy.(just thought you could use some encouragement)

Don't give up on the little fella. By th way, what is it's name? Could you post some pics of it for us?

I'll keep you, mama cat, and kitty in my prayers.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry...*BillieViper*. Pretty bad that I can't even spell something that's right there on the page in front of me.LOL!

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Try the bottle again. Cut an x as mentionend and make a hole in the bottle close to the top so that there isn't a vacuum in the bottle. This way you will have a good flow on the milk even if the kitten doesn't have the strenght to suck. There might come to much milk so it is important that the kitten is in upright position (not on its back). Put the "nipple" in the mouth from the side of the mouth and lift the bottle so it drips a bit. That way you will not choke the kitten if the milk comes to fast.
If the kittens have problems breathing it might have pneumonia but there is medication to give even to one week old kittens.
You also need to pee the kitten every time you feed it. Massage the lower part of the stomach and the genitals gently. You can use a soft towel wetted in a bit of body tempered water but I prefer to do it with my hand and fingers even if it pees all over my hand.
It can take a while the first time but you will get the hang of it.
Please let us no how it is going. The most important thing right now is this little life you have in your hands. The rest can be cared for later. You can PM me if you need more help.
Good luck.
Malena

billieviper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your support, it means so much to me!

I just fed the little one and had a hard time doing it...it wouldn´t eat much, but then again, at least it gives him some strength..I´ll try again in an hour or two..
I am so scared of what might happen...all I can think about right now is that little poor baby..
I don´t want to name him until I´ll be sure he´s going to be alright, ´cause I´m afraid I might get even more attached to it.
I will try the bottle again...hope it works..and as for the peeing and the pooping
his mother is taking care of it...she´s fully functional as a mom, except for the feeding..
So, here are some pics of the little one, took them a few minutes ago, I can´t attach them, I don´t know why, so here are the links....I´ll stay in touch!
http://rapidshare.de/files/33853191/P9200116.JPG
http://rapidshare.de/files/33853160/P9200115.JPG

billieviper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I´m losing him...he´s getting weaker and weaker every minute now..I tried to feed him, but he just wont suck, everything falls out. I don´t think there´s much to do now...

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think I´m losing him...he´s getting weaker and weaker every minute now..I tried to feed him, but he just wont suck, everything falls out. I don´t think there´s much to do now...
I'm sorry...I lost a little one to pneumonia and I know how tough it is. I would take him to the vet and let them help him over the rainbow bridge.

I still think it is time to have your female cat spayed. Especially given the fact that her recent kittens have all died.

Again..I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Katie

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am sorry BillyViper. Sometimes there is there is just not anything to do. I agree with Katie. If she seem to be in any pain - bring her to the vet to help her the last part of the way.
I know it is no consolation for the moment but you have done everything you can and sometimes they are just not strong enough to make it.
I am so sorry for you.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rex had one kitten (her last before spayed) that did not want to suck, not matter how much I tried or she tried. The kitten would just not do it. She would carry the kitten around and into bed; the kitten would attempt to nurse but apparently was not doing it and she'd get up frustrated.

BTW she had several other litters and raised the kittens with no problems. We lost the little guy in 2 days cause he would not feed and would not take to the bottle.

We can't save them all.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried calling a humane society??? They might be able to help you. Better yet, I would go and visit a humane society. Tell them your situation and I'm sure they won't turn you down. Ask them if they can help you. I'm sure they will have the stuff needed to help the kitten and they will probably do it for free because they aren't out for money, they just want to help. Please, if you can't afford a vet and don't want to put the kitten to sleep, consider this option and do it TODAY! There is no time to waste with the kitten if she is doing as bad a you say.

I hope she makes it, poor baby.