I have to go to a doctor....

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was three I was mauled by a collie, and had to have some reconstructive sugary done on the right side of my face. My right ear was reattached and the right side of my eye socket was rebuilt. Due to this the doctor had to do some microsurgery to reattach some of the tendons on the right side of my face. Now that I've aged I've been noticing the right side of my face start to droop. No one can tell at this point, but if I don't do something now, I'm going to look lop sided!
So, I have to go to the doctor tomorrow to have him do an initial once over on my face, and get a game plan going on how it's all going to work out. I really don't want to go, and it's been driving me nuts all week.

Sorry for being so long winded... I just needed to get this off my chest.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Well, gravity and age take a toll on all of us!
LOL! I just don't want to be the first 30 year old to need a face lift, and then somehow have to explain that it was medically necessary to my insurance company!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yikes, that must have been scary! Good luck with the doc...I hope they can correct things easily!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AArrgghh! Going to the doctor is one of my least favorite things
Sorry about your terrible experience - it must have been very difficult both physically and emotionally, and to have to be dealing with it even now might bring back some lousy memories
Sending prayers and vibes that it all works out well and that it isn't too hard on you emotionally.
susan

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I came back from a 7:30am doctor's appointment
! Nothing like getting out of bed on one of the few days you have off to do something that you don't want to do. Well he said that we could try Botox (no thanks), or if things got worse I would have to have a face lift. I've decided that I'm just going to live with what happens. If the right side of my face is lower than my left side so be it. All of my friends and family should love me no matter what.

ollyextra05

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Have you thought about a second opinion!! I am sorry!!
No fun, doctors are the worst. I would also get a second opinion from another plastic surgeon that specializes in reconstructive plastics. There are a number of amazing surgical techniques nowadays and I'm sure you could find something that would fix your problem, you might just have to look a little harder.

Keep us posted!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A second opinion is always a good idea on something major. If it is getting lopsided, it may need medical attention to lengthen or shorten some of the old repairs. People that have had reconstruction as children often need follow ups as they grow. I am surprised they didn't address it after you reached your full growth.
I have a scar down the side of my mouth where my ex kicked me with a steel toed boot and laid it open down to my jawbone. Instead of calling in an oral surgeon the stitch it up with what should have been many tiny stitches, an intern stitched it up with about 16 regular stitches. It is becoming more noticeable to me as I age, and nothing can be done about it. My SO and my daughter say they don't even notice it, but it is beginning to bother me. Makeup helps some, but the texture of it is pretty bad.
You are right, your friends and family will love you no matter what. If it bothers you a lot, though, you should do something about it. I bet if you got your doctor to say it is aggravating your emotional and depression problems, your insurance would pay for it. I hope things work out for you and you can it fixed or not whichever makes you happy.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the third doctor that I've seen about this, and I've kind of run out of options. This is something that I really have to think long and hard about before I do it. I don't want to say yes, have the sugary, and then need to go back in another ten years to get another one done.

My Mom and I are going to have a long talk about it.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

This is the third doctor that I've seen about this, and I've kind of run out of options. This is something that I really have to think long and hard about before I do it. I don't want to say yes, have the sugary, and then need to go back in another ten years to get another one done.

My Mom and I will have to have a long talk with her about it.
That's probably the best way to look at it. Don't rush into anything. Take your time. If it isn't noticeable, then don't worry about it much for now. Keep in mind that you are beautiful no matter what you look like.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I came back from a 7:30am doctor's appointment
! Nothing like getting out of bed on one of the few days you have off to do something that you don't want to do. Well he said that we could try Botox (no thanks), or if things got worse I would have to have a face lift. I've decided that I'm just going to live with what happens. If the right side of my face is lower than my left side so be it. All of my friends and family should love me no matter what.
I only just read this! Sorry to hear

If it makes you feel any better, my "girls" are lopsided - the left one is bigger and saggier than the right one...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I only just read this! Sorry to hear

If it makes you feel any better, my "girls" are lopsided - the left one is bigger and saggier than the right one...
LOL I have the same problem... my DH still loves me though.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

LOL I have the same problem... my DH still loves me though.
I think we all do... I think it's just more noticeable to us because...welll...they are with us all day!

If I were in your situation I know exactly what my co-workerr would say: "Tip that side upwards a bit and no one will notice!"
I know that has got to be aggravating. But like has already been said, you are beautiful the way you are right now!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I think we all do... I think it's just more noticeable to us because...welll...they are with us all day!

If I were in your situation I know exactly what my co-workerr would say: "Tip that side upwards a bit and no one will notice!"
I know that has got to be aggravating. But like has already been said, you are beautiful the way you are right now!
In our marriage vows, DH said that he loved me for who I was, who I am, and who I was going to be. To me, that included any sags, wrinkles, or lopsidedness!