how to help?

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am a 19 year old university student that loves animals. Before i moved for school I lived in the country, outside of a small town. There i was able to help stray cats that were abandoned in the area becuase we had a lot of space to keep them and it didn't cost very much to feed and love them. However, now that I have moved to a big city and into an apartment i obviously can not house every cat i see wandering around. (i do have some experience with very young kittens also btw)
I have already taken in one kitten, but still want to help cats in the area. I just don't know what i can do. I am a little tight for money but i do have some time to devote to helping (about 3-4 hours a week). But where to start? I just don't know what I can do in a city, its just a lot different. If anyone has any suggestions or things that they do to help in a city who are unable to foster or take in I would really appreciate it (and hopefully some kitties will too!)

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sweatereyes

Hi, I am a 19 year old university student that loves animals. Before i moved for school I lived in the country, outside of a small town. There i was able to help stray cats that were abandoned in the area becuase we had a lot of space to keep them and it didn't cost very much to feed and love them. However, now that I have moved to a big city and into an apartment i obviously can not house every cat i see wandering around. (i do have some experience with very young kittens also btw)
I have already taken in one kitten, but still want to help cats in the area. I just don't know what i can do. I am a little tight for money but i do have some time to devote to helping (about 3-4 hours a week). But where to start? I just don't know what I can do in a city, its just a lot different. If anyone has any suggestions or things that they do to help in a city who are unable to foster or take in I would really appreciate it (and hopefully some kitties will too!)
Well...there is a LOT you can do....if the local shelter doesn't have pictures of their cats on Petfinder..you can offer to take pictures and keep their website up to date. That doesn't require any room in your apartment.

There is also volunteering your time to play with the cats and clean cages.

You could also volunteer with a feral cat group and help to trap and neuter the cats.

Katie

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's the website that lists the animal rescue groups in your area:
http://www.mycommunityinfo.ca/life/pets/shelters.asp I checked out the London Animal Shelter and the London Humane Society and they both have numbers that you can call to volunteer to help. I know that if you are too busy to do a regular commitment, some rescues can use occasional help during fundraisers and adopt-a-thon. It's wonderful that you are so willing to help - you are indeed the answer to many prayers

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can also help do fundraising for a local shelter or rescue. The local no-kill rescue here does a lot of brat fries, garage sales with donated goods, pet walks, etc and they always need people to help organize the events and work at them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sweatereyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
after some investigating I found an animal shelter that is down the street from where i live. They do a lot of charity events and they are always looking for volunteers it said on the website. I'm going to try to get there sometime this week to talk to someone about it. I'm really excited, I just want to help out. Thanks for all the ideas!