Need help bottle feeding!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need help bad. Sorry but I don't have time to search. I somehow got custody of a 4-5 week old kitten that the owner got rid of the mother and was going to take the kitten to a shelter till I intervened. Anyway, I didn't know until today that this kitten wasn't even weened. I got some kitten formula and a PetAg nursing bottle but I can't get him to nurse from it. I think maybe I didn't get the hole big enough in the nipple. When I tip it upside down and squeeze the bottle, nothing comes out. Anyone got some tips for me on technique on bottle feeding? Meanwhile, I will keep searching and trying. Thanks.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

I need help bad. Sorry but I don't have time to search. I somehow got custody of a 4-5 week old kitten that the owner got rid of the mother and was going to take the kitten to a shelter till I intervened. Anyway, I didn't know until today that this kitten wasn't even weened. I got some kitten formula and a PetAg nursing bottle but I can't get him to nurse from it. I think maybe I didn't get the hole big enough in the nipple. When I tip it upside down and squeeze the bottle, nothing comes out. Anyone got some tips for me on technique on bottle feeding? Meanwhile, I will keep searching and trying. Thanks.
You want to make sure to cut an x in the tip so that the formula is easy for the kitten to get to....also...make sure you feed him in the prone position (all four paws on the ground) and tilt his head up to feed him.

Good Luck

Katie

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also had a problem with all bottles I could find for small animals. There is no air hole in them. I solved it by drilling a small hole in the top of the bottle and made a mark where the hole was so that I always kept it upwards (to avoid dripping from the hole). After doing that the only thing to think of is keep the angle of the bottle so the milk doesn't come to fast.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm now getting him to feed a little bit. Do they tend to look more like they are chewing on the nipple rather then suck? That's what he does. Kind of out of the corner of him mouth. But he must be getting some because the bottle is down about 15 cc. And should he be pottying himself by this age? He's supposed to be 5 weeks. He's actually pretty healthy looking and very active. He loves to play with toys and the other cats so he's not lacking energy. I'm just surprised he doesn't drink from a saucer. He won't drink anything but the formula too, which surprises me at this age. Maybe just because he hasn't been exposed to anything else yet?

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He should be able to drink the formula from a bawl and eat some solid kitten food if he is five weeks. He should also be able pee and poo by him self. Can you post a picture of him so we can see him?
To teach him how to drink try to get him to lick the formula of your finger. When he does that - put your finger closer and closer to the formula and finally in it.
The chewing is probably because the milk doesn't come fast enough.

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If he's really that old you might try a medicine dropper instead of the bottle. That's all we had on hand when he showed up and he wolfed it down so well we just never changed to a bottle.

Mine was late in lapping it up--never would take formular from a dish but would take water mixed in with food. And at that age try chicken baby food!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malena

He should be able to drink the formula from a bawl and eat some solid kitten food if he is five weeks. .
Yes, he should. But he doesn't. Probably because no one has ever offered him anything else or took the time to gradually ween him.

He should also be able pee and poo by him self. Can you post a picture of him so we can see him?.
There are pictures in the Fur pictures forum.
He has peed a little bit.

To teach him how to drink try to get him to lick the formula of your finger. When he does that - put your finger closer and closer to the formula and finally in it.
The chewing is probably because the milk doesn't come fast enough.
I tried this after reading it but I think we'll have to work at it longer.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pippen

If he's really that old you might try a medicine dropper instead of the bottle. That's all we had on hand when he showed up and he wolfed it down so well we just never changed to a bottle..
Good idea. I am going to try this until I can get him to start lapping it up!

Mine was late in lapping it up--never would take formular from a dish but would take water mixed in with food. And at that age try chicken baby food!
I tried canned kitten food mixed with water. But the chicken baby food is a great idea. I'll try this also! Thanks!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

You want to make sure to cut an x in the tip so that the formula is easy for the kitten to get to....also...make sure you feed him in the prone position (all four paws on the ground) and tilt his head up to feed him.

Good Luck

Katie
Thanks Katie. Cutting an x in the tip of the nipple really helped!