A Horrible Reality

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found this today,, while looking for a spay and neuter program for my Meeko.

This is absolutely horrible, but it's the grim reality!!

This has some graphic pictures, and very upsetting images, so please take care before watching it! Don't open if you can't handle the reality. It's called a good death.. It's out Texas and what these animals go through when they have to put them asleep..

http://www.news-journal.com/news/con...als/index.html

I'm happy to say, I've never bought a dog.. I've rescued 3 dogs, and 5 cats,, and will never go to a pet store to buy an animal.. I tried to get all my animals from HIGH KILL SHELTERS..

Okay,, if I can stop crying from watching this...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(FYI, the pictures aren't very graphic... just quite sad... animals being put to sleep and then bagged up for the sanitation department).

At the very least the animals aren't alone when they die... this is better than what they would get on the street. A friend once described to me how a neighbor's cat was tortured to death... if it's a choice between that and a lethal injection, and there aren't any homes available... then I suppose I'd be willing to administer that injection myself; at the very least that way the animals would know they were loved.

But if I had a job that forced me to kill animals... I'd do everything I could to avoid having to do so. I suppose if I worked in a shelter, I'd have ten cats within the space of a week, and probably be regularly begging people to take in more pets.

It's no wonder those shelter workers we see are so unemotional about their work.

This is why volunteer workers, no-kill shelters, fosters, and TNR programs are SO important... so that the number of animals put to sleep can be reduced to include only those that are sick and in pain.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh.that really hits home, doesn't it. Godspeed over Rainbow Bridge, dear precious creatures - sometimes it takes Heaven to appreciate what Earth stubbornly refuses to treasure

I hope that the people in that county react positively to the slideshow & start a neutering organization.
Bless those shelter workers for showing kindness and compassion to those animals - it takes a rare amount of courage and love to do that grim task day after day.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately this also shows the necessity for spaying or neutering all pet cats. People who don't are contributing to pet overpopulation and the death of these innocent creatures.
There is NO excuse for breeding your pet cat unless you're a professional breeder! and while I love some of the purebreeds, my little rescued cat-mutt Gizmo brings as much if not more pleasure and I've done her a good turn as well by keeping her from this fate.

crittergirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

It is so sad that these poor animals did not have a loving home. and I agree, them poor kittens being held like that was saddening. It is a grim reality and maybe more people should see this so they get an awakening.
RIP poor babies!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittergirl

It is so sad that these poor animals did not have a loving home. and I agree, them poor kittens being held like that was saddening. It is a grim reality and maybe more people should see this so they get an awakening.
RIP poor babies!
I don't need to see it....I've experienced it first hand. That is why I am passionate about spaying/neutering. Even if your own cats are fixed...reach out and help someone else get their cat fixed or provide funding to a TNR group or volunteer at a TNR clinic. We really must bring the sheer number of cats down.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It takes a special person to be loving and have to either watch or do this...

We can't sit by and not do what right.. And the right thing to do is spay and neuter our pets.. And adopt adopt adopt adopt pets from Shelters.. Both High Kill and No kill.. Give money whenever possible to programs and to these shelters..

I've been touched by this, and I hope that everyone else will be too!!! This just doesn't happen in Texas,, it happens everywhere..

Heather

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Heather....that is very true....it does happen everywhere..and it doesn't need to be happening if we all just helped to spread the spay/neuter message.

Katie

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very sad, but it also makes me angry.... I'd love to stick that lady with a needle as inhumanely as she was sticking those kitty's. And puppies??? I've always thought that they were adoptable unless they were sickly.... it just breaks my heart to see that....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just hope that people look at these photos and think really hard about where they are going to get their forever friends.

Their are sooooo many cats in this world that needs homes.. I was told today in South Eastern Indiana alone, there are 45 cats to 10 dogs. That's a huggeee amount. They can't give cats away...... And that,, that is wrong!!! Backwoods people don't want to spend the money to spay and neuter the animals.. and vets around here,, aren't cheap.. A regular spay would cost over $150 dollars around here.. That is too high. I really think that if the vets would offer their other services for higher amounts and lower rates on spay/neuter everyone would be better off!!

Heather

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by angelkitty

I just hope that people look at these photos and think really hard about where they are going to get their forever friends.

Their are sooooo many cats in this world that needs homes.. I was told today in South Eastern Indiana alone, there are 45 cats to 10 dogs. That's a huggeee amount. They can't give cats away...... And that,, that is wrong!!! Backwoods people don't want to spend the money to spay and neuter the animals.. and vets around here,, aren't cheap.. A regular spay would cost over $150 dollars around here.. That is too high. I really think that if the vets would offer their other services for higher amounts and lower rates on spay/neuter everyone would be better off!!

Heather
Heather..I know the neuter scooter goes to Indiana. Perhaps you can rally enough people in your town to have the neuter scooter come by.

http://neuterscooter.com/ns/index.cf...clinicstate=IN

It's only $40 per cat in advance.

Katie

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know why the cats get injections in their bellies? The video says that the cats are too small to use a paw...

Is holding them up by the scruff the only reliable way to get at the belly in a scared cat? Or are there other ways, and the people at this shelter are just using the most convenient?

valkerie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Does anyone know why the cats get injections in their bellies? The video says that the cats are too small to use a paw...

Is holding them up by the scruff the only reliable way to get at the belly in a scared cat? Or are there other ways, and the people at this shelter are just using the most convenient?
G this is a very sad subject bear with while I wipe the tears.Well I don"t know how many people who have stayed with their beloved pet right to the end and I mean right to the end, but I took a vow that I would be by all my animals side,My dear beloved pudsey was 16 and a half yrs old and got struck with stomach cancer
lost a lot of weight etc the cancer was aggressive
so I had a choose to stay or leave
I stayed with her at the vets they cut the furr of her leg to get the vein while I was holding her in my arms they put the needle in and gave her the injection it did"nt work our vet could"nt belieave it, so they had to get another needle and inject her in the kidneys as it is second choose which the vets don"t like
pudsey my darling I carry you in my heart that you touched with love RIP

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people

Originally Posted by rosiemac

That was so sad
Was there not a better way of ending those poor kittens lives than holding them up the way she did
Yes Susan,There is a better way.

Originally Posted by Callista

No that is not an acceptable way to euthanise an animal,however small it is.
It seems that it takes longer to find a vein on a small animal than a larger one.
It is quite obvious the shelter in question would rather speed things up to save them time,at the expense of the animals being in distress.

I Think the question we must all ask ourselves from this slide show is why was the 'Operations Manager' of the shelter Clancy Wright [sp?] administering lethal injections to animals????

I Don't know what the law is in the USA but in the UK only a qualified veterinarian can administer a lethal injection to an animal and that vet must also monitor that animal upto an hour after the lethal dose.

She (Clancy Wright[sp?] ) obviously has not qualified as a veterinarian so why is she allowed to euthanise those animals?????

IF this 'slideshow' is propaganda then it has backfired big time, again at the expense of animals

middletown

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It varies from state to state whether the agent in charge of euthanize has to be a licensed tech or an authorized agent of the state to adminster the inject or place them in a gas chamber.
In NY, you have to be licensed vet tech from an accredited school to perform this.

In areas of high shelter populations and high kill areas, Cats are often injected this way or directly into the heart. It serves to expedite the process as cats veins are smaller and it takes more time.

Missing the cats vein in the leg or hind quarters leads to a long and very painful death to the cat. A cat who has been injected with sodium pentabarb that has missed the vein will suffer an utterly agonizing long death as the poison slowly seeps into its blood stream. Typically vital organs will falter and the cat will linger until it finally has no more life left. agony is the only expression I can relate to seeing a cat suffer this fate.

The love and compassion in us views the image of a cat being held by the scruff of the neck as a cruel and unnecessary. However when you are trying to insure the quick euthanize of the animal you know there are still plenty more waiting to be put to sleep and more coming in to be killed for the next day.
what do you do?
Does saving time killing cats offer any excuse? most certainly not. however it is a very grim reality.

Shelters do not have the resources. People will not tolerate increase in taxes to assist shelters. People do not give money to shelters as they think either they have plenty or that they are death factories. Both false.

Realize that injections are far more humane than gas chambers.
CO Gas chambers are usually crammed full of live animals. Both dogs and cats, kittens and puppies are often shoved in together while the door is closed and the gas is turned on. The barbaric realities of gas chambers are to much to describe.

Keep in mind that this video was only for 1 shelter serving east TX.
Imagine large cities such as NY, Chicago, LA, London, Sydney etc where their are upwards of a dozen shelters and pounds forced to euthanize dozens animals every day. a very small micro view of what is happening all over the world every day due to pet over population.

Propaganda? I think not. I would love to see ads like this on every channel at prime time hours. or even more graphic ads that
No one wants to know about this bitter horrible truth. I believe that this type of video should shoved down peoples throats to what happens to that cat that scratched their furniture, or they are allergic to. People have associated pets as a disposable item. Not even alive. This HAS to change. They should have to witness the results of their indifference.

Spay/Neuter is the first step. Tell everyone you meet that has pets. I don’t care if you know them or not. Inform them. Find out where there are low cost solutions in your area and keep those phone #’s and date handy at all times to let people know when you do talk to them.

Stronger adoptions or having all animals register is another good idea.

An a complete ban or intense/strong regulations for breeders. That tea-cup $1500 dog is no better than poor unwanted puppy in the last scene in that video. Neither is a pure bread sphinx over the strays starving on the street.

NO animal should be up for sale while another one dies unwanted.

leto86

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

I don't need to see it....I've experienced it first hand. That is why I am passionate about spaying/neutering. Even if your own cats are fixed...reach out and help someone else get their cat fixed or provide funding to a TNR group or volunteer at a TNR clinic. We really must bring the sheer number of cats down.

Katie
Same here..
I've been in countless arguments with irresponsible people who let their cats have litter, atfer litter, after litter.

It breaks my heart.. but it'll always be like this.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Come on, don't give up like that.

There used to be dogs running all over the place; but leash laws have changed that and now they're in backyards and on leashes. That's a positive change.

And slaughtering animals for food used to be much worse than it is now, too. There's much less suffering now than there used to be.

Endangered species receive much more regard now than they used to.

Who says cats can't be part of such a change?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Leto86

Same here..
I've been in countless arguments with irresponsible people who let their cats have litter, atfer litter, after litter.

It breaks my heart.. but it'll always be like this.
Leto...instead of feeling defeated...find a way to be a POSITIVE impact. Is there a TNR group that you can volunteer with...there is nothing more rewarding than spaying/neutering a cat that has been living outdoors and knowing that cat will NEVER again have a litter.

Katie

noelled

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With our baby lost, that video kills me. I'm happy to say all of our animals came from shelters. That woman holding the cat the way she did was unnecessary I believe.