They kicked me out of the shelter...

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I went to the shelter to see the cats and kittens. I asked about doing petfinder.com ads for them, and again they said the person I had to talk to wasn't in, even though it was the hours they told me he'd be in.

I have been going there two or three times weekly, for three hours or so at a time, to play with the cats, hold them, just generally spend time with them. I also brought a dangle toy and some treats.

I couldn't do any more because when I first came there, they said they had no volunteer program; but that the shelter was open to visitors. So I became a "visitor".

After I had spent a little time with the cats, one of the employees called me into the office and told me that a man wanted to speak to me. I don't remember either one of their names; maybe they were never said. The man had gray hair and it seemed like he might be in charge.

He told me that visitors were starting to think I might be an employee; and that anyone who spent this much time at the shelter would have to be either an employee or a volunteer. They were starting to think I worked there.

"But you don't have a volunteer program," I said. "No, we don't," he agreed. And they can't/won't hire me.

He was trying to be polite about it, I suppose; but what I heard was a lot of beating around the bush, to the effect that "We don't want you here."

So I said, "I'm leaving now," and left. He was still talking. I did this because otherwise I would have started crying and that is very impolite.

I did cry on the way home. I'm glad no one heard me, because I must have sounded more like a wolf howling than a human being. I suppose I had a grade-A meltdown...

I don't understand that they won't let me come anymore.

I'm not doing any harm to the cats. They like me, and I like them.

Maybe I'm not doing much good, either; but surely it must get lonely and boring living in a cage all day? At least I'm a diversion... at least they get petted (if they want it) or played with (if they're interested) or at the very least a kitty treat... I've never seen any of the shelter employees playing with or even touching a cat. All they ever do is change the litter and feed the cats.

They put cats to sleep because they have too many cats and not enough funds... and they won't let anyone help them with the cats, even though people like me would do it for free, and wouldn't get in anyone's way. So they go on putting cats to sleep...

I wonder whether there have been other offers of help, maybe even by people who were more experienced than me, and could have done more? I wonder how many cats have had to die because these people just want things the way they are, and want to run their shelter their way and not accept any help...

I know I look a little weird. I have short hair and I'm fat and I'm socially and physically clumsy... Maybe I look retarded or something, though I'm only Asperger's. But I like cats, and I know how to take care of them, and I'm not stupid or incompetent.

I'm crying again just typing this... I know the cats' lives will go on without me, of course; but is it so wrong to want to give them a little bit of attention, just so living in that kitten orphanage isn't so dull?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Callista..I am soooo sorry. For you....for the cats....of course they will go on...but you gave them more love than any of the employees I bet. You have every right to be sad...and ticked....but do NOT let this dissuade you from helping another shelter or rescue group. Remember.....animals do not judge us for how we look, they judge us by what is most important...our ability to love them.

Katie

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry! Your story touched me deeply. I understand where you are coming from, but remembered you *helped* these animals and loved them. Where as it sounds like the shelter "employees" did not, not like you have. I hope you can continue to help animals whether at the current shelter or a new one. Remember animals don't judge and love us no matter what.
to you

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am sorry to read about this

however i would not stop going unless they called the police and had me kicked out if it was something i wanted to do. if you are not hurting the animals or getting in the way of people doing there job, and its open to the public, then you have just as much right to be there as anyone does.

but that is me, and as the army told me when they kicked me out, "i dont play well with others."

i do hope you find a place that will let you help out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just really stupid... because this is the only shelter I can get to. I don't have a car or a driver's license. I have only a bike and the shelter, the only one in town, is 6 miles away; if I went to another town I'd be too tired from biking to go to work next day.

stormchickx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gosh that really sucks. I'm sorry to hear this. I guess they saw you were actually doing something and got mad or something. Some people ><

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But I wasn't really doing anything!! Just playing with the cats... I brought a camera one day when I first started going, to take pictures and show them to friends, and hope they might adopt a cat. But other than that I haven't done anything since then but play.

Which reminds me: I think I'll post those pictures here; it's as good a place as any. If those kits don't get homes they'll at least be remembered (though the young and cute ones have got a pretty good chance).

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Callista
.I am in tears reading your post,Just because I know how you must feel and there are a lot of people out here who do try and want to help animals 'in care' but like yourself you find that 'their ways' that they are set in are too much 'trouble' for them to change
and at the end of the day it IS the animals that are suffering for their lack of passion and caring.

I have read your posts about volunteering at the shelter you talk about and I know the time you spent there the animals did appreciate you and loved you for the time and love you gave them, they will never forget that.

The only reason I can think is why they made it hard for you to stay is because they could see how much you cared more than the people who worked there.
I think they either knew how sensitive a person you are and wanted to spare you the heartbreak of seeing the animals go to heaven or they have things to hide that they do not want outsiders to see.

I would like to think that they were trying to spare you the heartbreak but I found out about a shelter near where I live that they make all employees sign a confidentiallity clause so they cannot speak about the things that happen there.
So as they would not employ you or even give you official permission (even unpaid)to spend time with the animals then that justs leads me personally to believe that they have one of these clauses for employees

Have you thought of trying to get afew people together to volunteer,Its harder for them to refuse a 'group' of people than one person.
Also find out if it is a charity....if it is it must have directors and committee members...
find out when their next agm is and bring up the issue.

But don't give up just because the people that run it said they don't need you.......
The animals need you.....and they can't ask for themselves.

Best wishes and good luck

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a government agency--it's in a group with other government buildings, and marked "Animal Control". So I don't think it's a charity.

It's probably not having enough tax money to go around that makes their budget so tight. I know that the libraries in our area had a hiring freeze for a long while.

I guess they don't realize that I know that cats are put to sleep in shelters... that I've seen just about every gruesome picture out there, from the fur trade in China to the pictures of the most bedraggled cats you guys adopt. I've seen two of my cats die. If it means I can help those cats, then I'll find a way to deal with the fact that some of them will die. What really makes me sad is the idea that I won't be able to help them.

I'd much rather face up to a sad reality and help change it than stick my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist. But I guess people at shelters don't realize that that attitude (and collections of people who hold it, such as the people here) even exists.

I'm going to write that letter, politely ask exactly why they won't let me return. I didn't exactly stay for all of the guy's lecture, anyway, being too ready to cry to do so. For all I know, it's some stupid rule that some stupid bureaucrat thought of a long time ago...

furryferals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not psychic,I just see through people
Originally Posted by Callista

I'd much rather face up to a sad reality and help change it than stick my head in the sand and pretend it doesn't exist. But I guess people at shelters don't realize that that attitude (and collections of people who hold it, such as the people here) even exists.

I'm going to write that letter, politely ask exactly why they won't let me return. I didn't exactly stay for all of the guy's lecture, anyway, being too ready to cry to do so. For all I know, it's some stupid rule that some stupid bureaucrat thought of a long time ago...
GOOD ON YOU!!
Don't give up.

You got some Gumption I'll say that

Hey I just thought,You have a digi cam right
In the meantime while your not there,why don't you offer to go in and take photo's of the cats and animals that need re-homing and post them on some re-homing pages,for them with a description and what kind of personality they have,I'm sure they would appreciate you doing that for the animals and while your there taking pics you can give them a love while your there

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good find out why, and if you have to maybe get in touch with the local paper or something? nothing changes if people dont try.

dont give up!!!!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey I just thought,You have a digi cam right In the meantime while your not there,why don't you offer to go in and take photo's of the cats and animals that need re-homing and post them on some re-homing pages,for them with a description and what kind of personality they have,I'm sure they would appreciate you doing that for the animals and while your there taking pics you can give them a love while your there.
Yeah, except I already offered and got ignored; and besides, that would be being a volunteer and they don't want volunteers!

Excuse me while I cough up a hairball.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there you go, i would offer to send a letter to the local newspaper about why they dont want pic of animals that need homes to be made public?

if you are sure they dont already do that type of thing.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Apparently they have a person already assigned to that task; that's what they told me. However, their web site hasn't been updated in ages, so it's a good bet he's too busy.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Callista, I was so saddened to read about this awful situation
I feel badly for you and even worse for the poor kitties who were given so much by your visits. Please make yourself a cup of tea, for me, preferably with chamomile. AND then....
maybe give yourself a few days to "regroup" and do a little research before you write your letter. You could check out these websites:
www.animallaw.info (michigan state university, but covers all 50 states);
www.uan.org (co-founder was Terri Crisp, who wrote "out of harms way");
www.animallaw.org; www.aldf.com (animal league defense fund); and try to contact them for advice.
Since animal control is a governmental entity, they do indeed have levels of authority above them. If they are not part of the law enforcement (either police or sheriff), then they still answer to the governing board, either the county board of supervisors or county commissioners - find out who your representative is for your voting district and ask to discuss the situation with them. Also, you could try calling the local bar association and explain what is going on, and if they can recommend an attorney that might be willing to talk to you pro bono (free).
It would probably be easier for you if you write down an overview of the situation before trying to explain things either in person or on the phone. Feel free to PM me or perhaps you could PM some other members here to help edit your overview.
And I am sending you lots of {{{prayers and vibes}}} that you will be encouraged in your endeavor, and that your local kitties will once again be privileged to enjoy your visits. It would be awesome if you could assist the person already assigned to care for the website. If only you could find out who that is, and maybe approach them - but I'm getting ahead of myself - first things first, right??
*hint* look in the phone book's governmental section and find out which level of goverment controls the animal control; it's either gonna be city, township or the county. Then you know where to begin your contact.
And please try to find a copy of Terri Crisp's "out of harm's way", she began animal rescues during a California wild fire - with no authority whatsoever, and has gone on to found United Animal Nations and Noah's Wish. It's great reading (a diversion) and you might get some ideas

You will be in my thoughts and prayers
Susan

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got the cats' pics up, here:
Shelter Kitties

And actually, one of the pictures proves me wrong: One of the shelter employees is photographed holding a kitty. Granted, she only did this because it was closing time and she was helping me put her back into her cage; but she was touching the cat, and that's a step in the right direction, right?...

*sigh*

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to as if they were affraid that you would see something they didn't want ANYONE to see.
How sad for the animals that they are not able to enjoy the love that you gave them.
At the shelters around here,you go in and you NEVER see an employee playing with or even talking to the animals.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I'm so sorry the the pain they've caused you. I think you have some great advice on organizations to contact. I'm just wondering if there is some sort of legal issue that makes them reluctant to work with a volunteer.

Definitely find out the chain of command and the reason why volunteering is so difficult with them. At the very least you will have an understanding. The problem isn't you. It is them and their bureaucracy that is having the problems.