Food Ingredients...What are they????

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was at a local pet food store today discussing the pros & cons of fish in cat food with the store manager.

She told me that almost all fish that is intended for non-human consumption is preserved with Ethoxyquin.
I had no idea what that was so she gave the the name of this site that has a list of Ingredients to avoid in dog food.

Many of them are also used in cat food so I thought others might like to take a look at it....
The site is The Dog Food Project...
The list is from the...
Ingredients to avoid page.

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index....badingredients

Maybe this will shed some light on those mysterious ingredients in our cat food.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes all fish ( evan human) coming in to the US has to be treated with ethoxiquin... It is a trace amount and many companies test for the leval ...

Her list would basically mean you would feed homemade or raw ( not bad but...)....

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nature's logic food does not use toxic ingredients and other high end foods are also safer than homemade.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gizmocat

nature's logic food does not use toxic ingredients and other high end foods are also safer than homemade.
I havent seen Natures Logic in person ///// But I can say that saftey depends on the human and the animal in question
.... I have one raw ... one canned and raw ... and one dry and whatever else shell eat ..

Anything can BE TOXIC to the wrong animal

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some swear by homemade food but the cat needs certain supplements (taurine) that are not available in 'people foods'. A good, high quality cat food (whether wet or dry) is sufficient for most.

My vet warned me about raw diets because of bird flu, of all things--but there is also salmonella. I'm not able to give Gizmo a raw diet since she picks at her food all day long instead of eating it in one sitting. Different cats eat differently.

The one thing that is definitely bad for all of them is tuna (human grade); it can cause serious problems.