2 cats. One needs to eat less. How?

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well scince Mushi's appt. is tomarrow I'm just freaking about everything I possibly could.
I know that they are going to have me settle his food intake down...Because he's becoming a hefty little guy.
But I have a problem...and don't know how to fix it.
So..I've got Kipper. And I've got Mushi.

Kipper is a "snacker". Before we had Mushi, at feeding time Kipper would just take a little, and continue to eat it throughout the whole day, but in little bites here and there.

Mushi is a heffer.
At feeding time he patiently waits for Kipper to finish his "snack", and hordes down all the rest, and then later on, I've got to put little bits of food in Kippers bowl because he's back for his snack.
If there is ANY smidget of food left in the bowl, you can bet Mushi will be there to finish it off.
He eats ALOT.
So, once I've got to put Mushi on a diet, how do you feed two separate cats, that need two completly different amounts of food, and probably different foods all together? And because of thier different eating ways, how am I to feed Kipper (the all day snacker) without Mushi wanting the rest of his food all the time?
And how am I to feed the hef Mushi (the EAT IT ALL RIGHT NOW!), who will eat Kipper if he gets the chance?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can train the snacker to eat at certain times and not let the food sit there all day.

I'd feed them in 2 separate rooms with doors closed. Allow the snacker 1/2 hour to eat by himself. After that time, take up the remaining food and put it down later in the day - might try 2-3 times a day for 1/2 hour only.

Once you do this a few days/weeks your snacker will learn to eat the food when its available.

Then the other one will not be eating the remaining food - feed him a certain portion twice a day and no more.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have the same PROBLEM! Cody is huge - 21 lbs and Lil Boo is only about 7 lbs. I realize Cody is a bigger boned cat than Boo but she eats more than her share...it's like she does it intentionally so he can't eat. She wasn't like this before we got Boo. I tried feeding them in seperate rooms and we forgot to close the door, she'd sneak in there and eat all his food. I wish I had the time during the day to try the training but we both work. Feeding time is morning and evening and I put Boo at the bowl first. It doesn't matter, she gulp it down later that night and then throw it up...UGH! I'd hate to put her on diet food, then I'll have Boo eating hers getting smaller!! It is frustrating.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i don't have the pigglet cat problem but i do have a hungry kitten and a older cat with allergies on special food! If any of you have an Ikea near by you or can get ahold of a box like this... http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/store...umber=97322800

with a removable top you can install a cat door with magnetic collar or infra red collar for each cat. both my girls have their own box. i'm in the process of applying for the paton for it with ikea for pets!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So how would you keep the other cat from getting in there too?
Like say I put Mushi in there to eat, and then he comes out and eats Kipper's too.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
well phoebe has a magnet on her collar that came with the cat door only she can open the door with the collar. i actually have two boxes one with a magnet and the other with a infrared door, but i have found Phoebe doesn't really go for Trouble's box like Trouble does hers! so i have it off. i also found that with a collar on Trouble can get Phoebe's door open if it has metal on it (tag, bell or infrared dongle) so i took off Trouble's collar so she can't be cheeky and get in Pheeb's box. But i imagine if you got two infrared collars with different frequencies (they come in different colors for different locks) then you wouldn't have that problem or you may find you only need one box! Ideally you could let one graze and the other be on a diet! it works great for keeping other cats out outside as well if you wanted to use it for an outdoor cat. or to keep dogs out of the cat food so no more putting the food on the counter for the cats! also a big help when one of the cats is ill and you need them to fast or have prescription in their food.

Thanks!! i love it too i saw it and went OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH must have tHAT!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well arent you just a creative flower!! That's an amazing idea.
So..How much does that all COST?! I mean I see the box is like 50 dollars, but how much for the door? Does the door come with the collar?
I think it's a great idea.

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had two cats that needed to eat special prescription food for urinary problems and one that could be fed regular food. I trained them to eat in their cat carriers. I turned them onto the porch and put a dish of food in each carrier and shut the doors. When they were finished I let them out. They were done eating until suppertime. No snacking. It worked well for them.

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
not sure how much the door would be there in the US check your local pet shop or look online for prices. it's just a normal magnetic or infrared cat door nothing special! here are a few doors at petsmart looks like it might be about $130 -$200 or so with box and door with shipping. but it's worth it very sturdy and durable! easy to clean too.
http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...N=2033663&Ne=2

the Staywell ones are the ones i have

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bugaboo1

I had two cats that needed to eat special prescription food for urinary problems and one that could be fed regular food. I trained them to eat in their cat carriers. I turned them onto the porch and put a dish of food in each carrier and shut the doors. When they were finished I let them out. They were done eating until suppertime. No snacking. It worked well for them.
yeh that works great if you don't want your cat to graze or you are home most of the time but when you have a growing kitten and a cat that is used to grazing it's nice to let them have their freedom and you have yours too!

ocicat_steph

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lovemycodygirl

That looks like it works great for you! Cody's 21 lbs...she probably can't fit through a normal cat door!
i'm sure it would work with a small dog door too.
i'm currently dealing with the paper work to paton it with Ikea and everything is going well so far!
i had already thought about making one for a small dog as well as cats and for cats that are obviously horizontally challenged

shadowbaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just feed my thinner cat at a higher place in the room... The fat one can't jump up there, so she can't get it :p