How much do you pay your kitty sitters?

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a choice of having a friend stop by and feed Frankie once a day or taking him to a co-workers house to stay at her house while we're gone. We're only going overnight so we really don't have to have a sitter at all but Frankie gobbles down all his food at once so we thought it would be nice to have someone feed him again at night on the day we go. Obviously it makes more sense to just have the friend pop in there on Friday night. The reason we're thinking about taking him to the co-worker's is so they can have a shorter trial period of him at her place before we would go on a longer vacation and leave him there (if we ever decide to do that).

How much do you pay if they take the cat into their home?

How much do you pay to have someone stop over once a day?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually get 10 $ per day and usually make two trips

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we go to cat shows over the weekend I pay $100 for our "cattery sitter" to take care of the cats. We're talking 20 or more cats including kittens, so it's alot of work. It's worth every cent though, because I know everything will get done right and the cats are in caring hands.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

When we go to cat shows over the weekend I pay $100 for our "cattery sitter" to take care of the cats. We're talking 20 or more cats including kittens, so it's alot of work. It's worth every cent though, because I know everything will get done right and the cats are in caring hands.

Yes I charge more if over two cats or if more than one species...

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't priced any here,. but the sitter i used in Chicago was 14 her day, one visit, up to two cats. if you had a third cat, there was an additional charge.

I'm afraid of what they might be out here, but my neihgbor has offered to watch mine when I take my trip... I may use my friends as backup though. I just can't afford what a sitter would charge for roughly ten days... erg! I can't afford it.

Now, I used to petsit back in my high school days... I was THE sitter for the neighborhood. Dogs cats, horses (a goat and some chickens at one house). You name it. I didn't set a fee up front... Most paid me average 20-30 for the weekend, and if it was longer, I typically got over 100.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
nothing because my kitty sitter was my sister and she did a horrible sucky job. She came once in 10 days.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
We pay our friend in beer!

We also watch their house when they go away.

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom is my cat sitter so nothing. I was her dogs when they go out of town so we break even!

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

It wasn't Steve was it?

In the UK, it's generally about £8 per trip/day, but it really does vary between sitters!
One thing I would look out for when choosing one is that they are fully insured and registered though - worth the extra cost!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

We used to pay a friend that lived down the street from us in beer too when he took care of a sweet dog that we used to have! He refused any payment and liked coming up and playing with the dog and having some quiet time so he was happy just to come up for a couple beers!

That same friend isn't as much of a cat person so I don't think he'd be as good about taking care of our cat for more than a night or two. I have a good friend who lives a little farther away (about 10 miles) who cat sits so I'd call on her if she was available. I think she'd be happy with $10 and probably a beer too!

purrpaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a friend catsit for me (she's a vet student). I need someone who can give a pill to a cat, so I can't ask just anyone. I try to pay her $12 per visit since that's what sitters I've used have charged (and she needs the money) but last time she'd only take $10 a visit.