Need opinons

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So my parents are getting a divorce after 40 years of marriage. It's a long complicated story, but my mom called today to tell me that she was wondering if she bought a side by side would I want to live in the other side.
The positives:
A lot more room than the 400 sq feet I currently live in.
Room for another kitty

The Negatives:
Having to care for the yard & driveway.
Having Mom right next door.

So what would you do (there are a lot of other details I'm concerned about, but I'm just wondering what other people would do.)

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd do it!!!

More room, and it's not always soo bad to be around mom..

I'd just lay out some ground rules with her.. Yes, I'll do this,, but you have to knock or call before you come over. I need my personal time and space.. etc etc etc..

The yard and driveway aren't always so bad!! Sometimes it's nice to have extra space of your own to plant flowers and make it your own... Plus more room for the kitties,, always a better idea!! Plus 400 sq feet is really small.. Think of all the extra room and space you'll have.. It's sound like a great option!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a good thing to me. I agree that ground rules need to be set though. Calling and knocking and all that good stuff. As well as anything else you think needs to be done or not done! Plus she is going to eventually need your assistance in life and it would be nice to live close and not have to travel miles to get to her in an emergency!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's based on economics, I'd do it. However, I've been trying to get my mom to cut the cord for the last 3 years (I'm 24) and would have a VERY hard time living that close to her.

1.5 hours is close enough.
I love her, don't get me wrong, but she kinda drives me nuts. lol

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

If it's based on economics, I'd do it. However, I've been trying to get my mom to cut the cord for the last 3 years (I'm 24) and would have a VERY hard time living that close to her.

1.5 hours is close enough.
I love her, don't get me wrong, but she kinda drives me nuts. lol
Taking that into account then maybe its not such a great idea.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would do it, my Mom and I get along "ok" but I definitely agree that ground rules MUST be set.... in stone

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep going back & forth in my mind. Luckily it won't be something that happens anytime soon because my parents have to sell their house before she could buy another place. I also had the thought that if it were enough space I might be able to get a dog instead of another cat, but that would depend on where we moved. It would have to be close enough that I could run home between school and work. I'm trying not to get too excited at the thought of having a dog because even if we do this I might not be able to get a dog, but I really really want a grey hound.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you'll know in your heart which decision would make you happiest. Just take some time to think about it, weigh the pros and cons, and you'll make the right decision. From my experience, things that I decide quickly or under pressure are the decisions that I regret. Good luck!