Just got a Litter Locker

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So far, after one scooping
, I really do like it. I thought it was going to cost a whole lot more than $20, so I picked it up. I figured that since we will have 3 kitties later this week, as well as trash pick up only once a week (as opposed to being able to take it to the dumpster daily), a Litter Locker would be a good idea.

Does anyone else have one? Any tips for a multi-cat household with one?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
This single-cat household has one.

We used to put the waste in a bag, inside of another bag, inside of a trashcan in the basement. It would still smell sometimes! We don't have that problem with the Litter Locker. Occasionally the bag inside of the Locker will rip. That's not a pleasant situation, but it doesn't happen very often.

renny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a litter locker and 2 kitties, and I love it. I've probably had mine for about a year and a half. I always put it into another garbage bag when it's time to take it out to the curb so as not to scare the garbage man! LOL

Absolutely love it!!!!!

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
After experiencing the "Diaper Geenea" while babysitting my baby brother, I am definately out on that one! First, the wheel got stuck, which meant that I had to jam the dirty diaper down in there (much dry heaving and grossness) and then the bag ripped b/c I had jammed it too hard (where is the up-chuck emoticon?). After the first night of this crap (pun intended) I just started puting the dirty diapers in zip lock freezer bags in Publix bags in the trash.

I can't go through that again. I know it is probably much easier to put dirty litter in the thing, but the whole idea of storing crap is just not for me. I will take the trash out 2x day or get flushable.

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love the litter locker. It is a little hassle to bag it up, but I'd much rather deal with it twice a month than the daily trips down three flights of stairs and into the snow. I've got it in the bathroom, and we can't smell it. I did hear that the plastic slowly takes on the scent of the poo though, apparently after a few years.

One tip: don't spin the bag all the time. Make sure it's reasonably full first. With multiple cats, this probably isn't a problem. However, it does save you on bags. If you just dump it and close the lid, it will hold in any stench until you can fill it up more. I usually scoop every day and turn the wheel every other day.

MissintheSouth, it's possible that your diaper thing was full. Once it's full, the wheel won't spin. You have to disassemble it, toss the bag, and load in a new bag. Usually they have a way to cut the old bag easily so you don't have to touch anything and don't have any spills.

missinthesouth

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I kind of assumed that my parents made sure it was empty seeing as they knew I have no clue how to use the more complicated baby accessories. Could be that it was full. Either way, I ended up having to take it apart and throwing the offending poo-bags away.

It's amazing how month old baby poo can turn a person off to an entire genre of poo-storage though!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using a litter locker for about 4 months now, and although I continue to use it I'm rather disappointed with it. It cost me about £20 to buy and the replacement cartridges cost £4.99 each and only last me about 3 weeks max (I have 2 cats). That means I have to fork out £5 (that's nearly $10) every 3 weeks, in additon to the initial cost of the locker, so it works out very expensive. It also doesn't deal with smells as well as I'd expected. Although I can't smell anything when it's all sealed up in the locker, the actual locker smells when I empty it - ie the empty locker smells. I find I have to clean it with something deoderising every time I empty it. The sealed bag also smells big time, even though I put the soiled litter in scented nappy sacks first and then into the locker bag. I expected that there would be some sort of filter in the cartridge and/or unit, but there isn't - the cartridge just contains the plastic bag and there's nothing to deal with the smell - just the fact that it's sealed in thick plastic. I also find it difficult to empty - the bag containing used litter unravels as you try to drop it into the trash and it's a bit fiddly.

The reason I continue to use it is because my set up makes it difficult to take soiled litter out to the trash every time and I used to just put it in a nappy sack and dump it in the bathroom to take out later. Sometimes I'd forget and a few bags would accumulate (I scoop twice a day) which got a bit stinky! For me, it's just about worthwhile to use, but I'd be hard pushed to recommend it.

Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

It is a little hassle to bag it up, but I'd much rather deal with it twice a month .
Do you really only empty it twice a month? Mine gets full after 5-7 days and I think it would also smell if I left it much longer than that. I wonder if I have a smaller one than you, or if the ones in the UK are different.

Originally Posted by bab-ush-niik

One tip: don't spin the bag all the time. Make sure it's reasonably full first. .
That's a great tip, thanks! I'll try not spinning it every time to see if I can make the bag last a bit longer.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've had one for a couple of years now, and love it! No more running down two flights of stairs and going outside with wet hair to deposit a baggie in the trash can every morning (Jamie prefers his litter box in the upstairs hallway). They're great if you just have one cat, but the replacement cartridges are expensive if you have multiple cats, and the whole thing has to be emptied often then. I dump everything once a week. When Teufel and Kaylee were here, I had to dump everything every 3 - 4 days. Make sure you turn a light on when using it; a couple of times I've failed to notice that the plastic foil was running out (shown by black dots, or sometimes red lines) because I didn't bother to turn the hallway light on, and the "mess" has ended up in the bottom of the Litter Locker.
My tip: Use scissors to cut the plastic foil, rather than the integrated blade, because the latter causes too much unnecessary waste of foil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for the tips! I plan on emptying the bag once a week for trash day. I was just putting the soiled litter into plastic shopping bags and tying them off, but the stench was pretty bad in the trash can before the week was up.

We got a refill cartridge for $6, which I figured wasn't too bad. If it keeps the smell at bay I'm willing to pay a bit for the convenience.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Thanks for the tips! I plan on emptying the bag once a week for trash day. I was just putting the soiled litter into plastic shopping bags and tying them off, but the stench was pretty bad in the trash can before the week was up.

We got a refill cartridge for $6, which I figured wasn't too bad. If it keeps the smell at bay I'm willing to pay a bit for the convenience.
Since the Litter Lockers themselves are pretty cheap, it would probably be more convenient for you to get one for each litter box, as you wouldn't be using up more refill cartridges. We had record temperatures in July, and the Litter Locker didn't smell at all.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Litter Locker.. We go through the carttridges quickly,, but the smell is decreased greatly..

Not a bad buy.. We have 2 cats, and 2 strays.. We put our 2 cats litter in the litter locker, and the litter for the 2 strays downstairs in a old ScoopAway bucket.. They both work well.....

I'm almost half tempted to empty the bucket and put the mess in a bag, and keep using it.. It only smells when you put the litter in,a nd then you close up the smell.. Which is really really nice!

bab-ush-niik

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you really only empty it twice a month? Mine gets full after 5-7 days and I think it would also smell if I left it much longer than that. I wonder if I have a smaller one than you, or if the ones in the UK are different.
Actually, it just got full today and it's been a month since I emptied it last. However, I have only one cat and you have two.

dizzymslizzy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one also. I've actually been thinking about maybe buying a diaper genie instead. I'd have to look into the price of the cartridges, but it does the same thing. The litter locker works well, we have no smell with 2 cats, BUT We had a cat with CRF and it was horrible, and would fill up so quickly because of all of his pee.

My only other complaint is the price for the refill cartridges. But it's worth it to get rid of the stank!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

So far, after one scooping
, I really do like it. I thought it was going to cost a whole lot more than $20, so I picked it up. I figured that since we will have 3 kitties later this week, as well as trash pick up only once a week (as opposed to being able to take it to the dumpster daily), a Litter Locker would be a good idea.

Does anyone else have one? Any tips for a multi-cat household with one?
I have 4 of them there greatttttttttttt I order my rifills online and get the for like less then $6.00 so I buy alot of those to. Anyone that comes to my home can't beleive I have 8 cats they really do keep the smell down...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

I looked I got my last refills at Petguys.com $5.49 a piece and I am pretty sure there was no tax, just shipping
I saw their Litter Locker Plus Refill that lasts one month for 2 cats. Do those fit the regular Litter Locker? Or is there another, spiffier Litter Locker for more than one cat?

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only know of 1 so I'm not sure, and I'm not sure if they come in different sizes or do they?
I know having 4 lockers the refills last about maybe , possibly 2 weeks
I never really thought about it.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I just don't get it. I have only 1 cat with 2 litter boxes - 1 in downstairs bath and the other in master bedroom bath. I have a scoop by each box. When she poops, I scoop the poop out and flush it down the loo. I don't understand the concept of saving it up!

I use Tidy Cat litter. It can hold quite a bit of pee before I need to change it. I use tall kitchen bags as litter pan liners. I put the pan inside the bag, and when I change it, I turn it inside out, trapping the used litter in the bag. No muss, no fuss.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

I guess I just don't get it. I have only 1 cat with 2 litter boxes - 1 in downstairs bath and the other in master bedroom bath. I have a scoop by each box. When she poops, I scoop the poop out and flush it down the loo. I don't understand the concept of saving it up!
I don't use flushable litter, and even if I did I wouldn't flush it down the loo as it gets blocked really easily - I've had my apartment flooded by other tenants flushing stuff down the loo and causing blockages so not risking it! It's just a bit nicer to dump the used stuff in a locker than have to take it out there and then or dump it on the bathroom floor until you can take it out.