TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › OK weird scenario......
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

OK weird scenario...... - Page 4

post #91 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
I have a question for youIs it possible that she was associating the red bandana with a gang? Several different gangs use bandanas to identify themselves. Red is a common color for this. (please note i'm not saying that everyone who wears a bandana or the color red is in a gang ) It is however a common color asssociated with gang activities (as are several other ones). In Memphis not too long ago, someone got shot for wearing "the wrong color"....they had on a red shirt in a bad part of town that had a lot of gang activity. I was just curious if maybe she wasn't keeping you and your brother home because she thought they were using drugs, but instead because she thought it had something to do with gang activity? Just curious
Good thinking, but no, that wasn't it. This was in 1976-77 in a small town in CT. She actually said that she knew they must smoke pot because they were wearing red headbands.
BTW, the reason I remember it so well is because I wanted to go to the party.
post #92 of 104
Just had to offer my 2 cents. I'm almost 60 and have to say that after growing up with an alcoholic father, I would have much preferred he smoke a little MJ to drinking alcohol.

I honestly believe that if one has an addictive personality they may well go on to stronger drugs, but for the majority of pot smokers it never goes beyond a few recreational tokes. I would be far more comfortable around a group of folks smoking than a group of drinkers - perhaps that is coloured by my childhood and the violence I've seen among drinkers which I never experienced with pot smokers.

I too agree that if Marijuana were legalized and controlled it would not be a bad thing. Alcohol is worse in my mind. I've lived in a lower rent area of Toronto and watched the men take the welfare cheque to the beer/liquor store and then give their spouse a bit that was left over for groceries for the family. The alcoholic's priorities are right up there with the druggies IMO.

I also feel there is some over-reaction to this subject but then everyone is entitled to their opinion. I certainly do not agree that pot smokers are as bad as rapists and murderers and should rot in prison - that's a bit over the top IMO. I'd personally like to see the small-time MJ dealer not go to jail so we'd have room for the real baddies.
post #93 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Just had to offer my 2 cents. I'm almost 60 and have to say that after growing up with an alcoholic father, I would have much preferred he smoke a little MJ to drinking alcohol.

I honestly believe that if one has an addictive personality they may well go on to stronger drugs, but for the majority of pot smokers it never goes beyond a few recreational tokes. I would be far more comfortable around a group of folks smoking than a group of drinkers - perhaps that is coloured by my childhood and the violence I've seen among drinkers which I never experienced with pot smokers.

I too agree that if Marijuana were legalized and controlled it would not be a bad thing. Alcohol is worse in my mind. I've lived in a lower rent area of Toronto and watched the men take the welfare cheque to the beer/liquor store and then give their spouse a bit that was left over for groceries for the family. The alcoholic's priorities are right up there with the druggies IMO.

I also feel there is some over-reaction to this subject but then everyone is entitled to their opinion. I certainly do not agree that pot smokers are as bad as rapists and murderers and should rot in prison - that's a bit over the top IMO. I'd personally like to see the small-time MJ dealer not go to jail so we'd have room for the real baddies.
I also grew up with an alcoholic father (sober over 20 years now ) and maybe that is why I also view alcohol as such a worse evil than weed.
post #94 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Just had to offer my 2 cents. I'm almost 60 and have to say that after growing up with an alcoholic father, I would have much preferred he smoke a little MJ to drinking alcohol.

I honestly believe that if one has an addictive personality they may well go on to stronger drugs, but for the majority of pot smokers it never goes beyond a few recreational tokes. I would be far more comfortable around a group of folks smoking than a group of drinkers - perhaps that is coloured by my childhood and the violence I've seen among drinkers which I never experienced with pot smokers.

I too agree that if Marijuana were legalized and controlled it would not be a bad thing. Alcohol is worse in my mind. I've lived in a lower rent area of Toronto and watched the men take the welfare cheque to the beer/liquor store and then give their spouse a bit that was left over for groceries for the family. The alcoholic's priorities are right up there with the druggies IMO.

I also feel there is some over-reaction to this subject but then everyone is entitled to their opinion. I certainly do not agree that pot smokers are as bad as rapists and murderers and should rot in prison - that's a bit over the top IMO. I'd personally like to see the small-time MJ dealer not go to jail so we'd have room for the real baddies.
Great post! My 1st husband drank and smoked pot. He was abusive when he drank. When he smoked he got the munchies and went to bed.
post #95 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
Great post! My 1st husband drank and smoked pot. He was abusive when he drank. When he smoked he got the munchies and went to bed.
ah yes! the munchies. In my youth I averaged around 104-108 lbs. and munchies weren't a bad thing!
post #96 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I truly feel bad about your uncle. There absolutely are pot smokers who are thugs and murderers and molesters, etc. There are also pot smokers who wouldn't think of doing any of those things. A lot of them are very peaceful, gentle people.

I think that we gather our opinions from our experiences. This is a true story:
Waaaay back when I was in high school, the kids across my street were having a party, but my brother and I were not allowed to go because there were guys there wearing RED HEADBANDS!

Prior to that, my aunt had worked with a man who wore a red headband. It turned out that the man smoked pot. He stole a typewriter from her office.

In her eyes 1) wearing a red headband was the sign of a pot smoker
and 2) pot smokers are thieves.

I agree that we do gather from our expeirences. Although i didnt like drug use of Any form (includeing Pot) before the incident.

Just driving home what happened with my uncle, as there have been many posts in this thread that NO ONE who smokes just Pot is Violent, or does crimes, ect.
post #97 of 104
Please, someone explain to me the thinking process that one would have to follow in order to think that pot should be made legal?

This is what I'm understanding: Well alcohol is legal and is worse than pot so therefore because alcohol is worse, another not-so-good drug should be legalized so it's fair?????


Sorry, but that doesn't sound that great to me.
post #98 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese View Post
Please, someone explain to me the thinking process that one would have to follow in order to think that pot should be made legal?

This is what I'm understanding: Well alcohol is legal and is worse than pot so therefore because alcohol is worse, another not-so-good drug should be legalized so it's fair?????


Sorry, but that doesn't sound that great to me.
My understanding (and also JMO) is that if pot were legalized there would be less of an incentive for folks to grow/sell it illegally and it could have more controls over the quality. There would possibly be less crime as well. If you look at families that allow their older children to have a bit of wine with dinner you'll often find those children grow up to be more responsible drinkers as a rule since they don't have to sneak and hide alcohol. Again that's JMHO.
post #99 of 104
See, there would still be the same actions it's just that people couldn't get in trouble for them. I don't agree with that.

I just think there should be more treatment facilities out there for people who have drug problems.
post #100 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
Good thinking, but no, that wasn't it. This was in 1976-77 in a small town in CT. She actually said that she knew they must smoke pot because they were wearing red headbands.
BTW, the reason I remember it so well is because I wanted to go to the party.
lol you crack me up! I didn't realize when this happened lol... lol, I definitely would be willing to bet CT has a bit less gang action than Memphis...lol I guess I was thinking from a memphis mindset when I asked...that's definitely something parents around here would do nowdays if they suspected gang activity.I just had to ask though! Wow....she sounds like she had a red bandana issue back in the day lol She was probably just trying her best to keep you safe Sorry you missed the party though!
post #101 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
lol you crack me up! I didn't realize when this happened lol... lol, I definitely would be willing to bet CT has a bit less gang action than Memphis...lol I guess I was thinking from a memphis mindset when I asked...that's definitely something parents around here would do nowdays if they suspected gang activity.I just had to ask though! Wow....she sounds like she had a red bandana issue back in the day lol She was probably just trying her best to keep you safe Sorry you missed the party though!
I gotta say she had good intentions.
post #102 of 104
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite View Post
Just had to offer my 2 cents. I'm almost 60 and have to say that after growing up with an alcoholic father, I would have much preferred he smoke a little MJ to drinking alcohol.

I honestly believe that if one has an addictive personality they may well go on to stronger drugs, but for the majority of pot smokers it never goes beyond a few recreational tokes. I would be far more comfortable around a group of folks smoking than a group of drinkers - perhaps that is coloured by my childhood and the violence I've seen among drinkers which I never experienced with pot smokers.

I too agree that if Marijuana were legalized and controlled it would not be a bad thing. Alcohol is worse in my mind. I've lived in a lower rent area of Toronto and watched the men take the welfare cheque to the beer/liquor store and then give their spouse a bit that was left over for groceries for the family. The alcoholic's priorities are right up there with the druggies IMO.

I also feel there is some over-reaction to this subject but then everyone is entitled to their opinion. I certainly do not agree that pot smokers are as bad as rapists and murderers and should rot in prison - that's a bit over the top IMO. I'd personally like to see the small-time MJ dealer not go to jail so we'd have room for the real baddies.

I totally agree with that!
again, my DH is a recovering alcoholic (sober since 1-21-06) and he was a violent drinker. I have seen him smoke pot in the past and all he would do is play video games, eat and sleep. he doesn't do either one, smoke or drink. IMO I think pot is the lesser of the two evils. I have seen night where he would spend well over $60-$80 at a bar to get drunk but him and a buddy would only spend $20 for weed and it last 2 weeks! (this was a LOOOONG time ago... again he doesn't do either one now). I have seen many families have to go w/o food, utilities, rent, clothes...etc due to alcohol... I know, I've been there.
I also believe that if it was legalized with limitations like only over 21yrs old, there would be less of a chance of it being laced with things like meth, cocaine and other things. It would be more commercialized... and controlled.
TBO I would rather one of my children smoke weed then drink... (rather them do neither but if I had a choice). When you're drunk, you're drunk! At least when you're high you can come down rather quickly.. I know from when I was a kid. We would all be sitting around high as kites and as soon as someone would knock on the door, we'd freak and scramble, it would "kill the buzz" so to speak...Let me express this again, this was over 13yrs ago! JMO
post #103 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I gotta say she had good intentions.
Sounds like it
post #104 of 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsey's Pet View Post
No one should do anything that slows their reflexes and drive. I just quit smoking pot like a month ago. I am 19 and I just felt like I grew out of it. I just feel that it is something you should grow out of. I am just starting to get out of my party phase. I am realizing that there are so mant more important things in life. Deeper, more meaningful things that can make you happy and I dont want to be too drunk or high to experience them. I just started to feel like things werent real when i was "partying". The people I hung out with werent my real friends. The things I said and did werent real. The happiness I felt wanst real. I want real, lasting, meaningful things in my life like real, close friends, family, accomplishments and getting high and drunk brings me farther from those things. If you are a parent your first concern should be your children. You should have grown out of all that stuff. You should be more focused on real things. Spending time with your kids should "take the edge off". I am not saying drinking and smoking are wrong. I just think you should do it during your designated "young and wild" period, then let it go and move on. Grow up. Now I also can see myself being more accepting of parents who occasionally get drunk at holiday parties when their kids are with a sitter. But I guess thats just because it is legal. I dont think parents should smoke pot.
I just love this post!

As a parent who does not do pot or even drink very often, I would not be comfortable with my neighbors sneaking out to their garage to smoke pot. I would certainly not allow my kids to play over at their house unless I was there, too. I agree with Kinsey's Pet that it is not abnormal to do some experimentation when young, but GROW UP!

Others are posting that is is no worse or even better than drinking...I wouldn't allow my kids to be with someone who drinks regularly either. It is different if you don't have kids, but with kids...do not impair yourself unless you get a sitter.

And how about the habitual pot smokers who have the maturity of a 16 y/o? We all know them...the ones who never outgrew it, and now have kids that are more mature than the parent!!!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › OK weird scenario......