Gah! Help me choose!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I've been hunting around for a new cat for a while, and I'm getting pretty lonely by myself in this huge 2 flr apt. I've also always wanted a black cat. Well, I think I might've found the perfect cat(s) at the local humane society. There's three of them actually, two little black kittens from the same litter, and one year old black.

I was wondering which would better suit my lifestyle. I work quite a bit (10 hours a day), and I was worried that if I got one of the kittens, he'd get bored and get depressed. I also drive around a lot, especially during holidays, and a cat that's a good travel companion would be awesome. I'm kinda debating on getting two, but with the amount I move around, it might cause more problems (i.e. I don't think they allow more than one cat on plane flights).

But if I could take all three, that'd be the bomb. They were a blast to be around the shelter. The kittens weren't super hyper strung, sort of cautious but playful, and the year old was pretty cuddly and attention demanding with the occasional playful streak. Very petite too, compact body, the stereotypical magician's cat. The kittens were on the gangly side, I have a feeling they'll get biggish.

Decision making is so hard...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

why don't you adopt an older cat that's black?
oh, I'm worried the older cat might not take to driving to well or have trouble adjusting... but might just be needless worry. I've also never had a kitten before, and would be fun to have one, but I'm actually kinda leaning toward the older one.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the older one might adjust better being left alone than a kitten would.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by crittermom

I think the older one might adjust better being left alone than a kitten would.
yeah, same here.
If you are gone most of the day, I think adopting an older cat is your best bet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

yeah, same here.
If you are gone most of the day, I think adopting an older cat is your best bet.
Ah ok, so do kittens get lonely by themselves?

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Ah ok, so do kittens get lonely by themselves?
I would imagine. you could always adopt him/her a buddy so she/he won't be lonely.
we have a kitten buddy system at the shelter where I volunteer and a cat buddy system. which means you adopt a kitten and you get the other kitten for free so the cat won't get lonely and same goes for the cat buddy system. I was suggesting an older cat since you are gone most of the day..but whatever works for you. it is totally up to you!
good luck with your decision and let us know.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Having two kittens is awesome. They entertain each other and keep each other company, so they don't get quite so bored and lonely while I'm at work.

But really, go with your gut. It sounds like you really liked the older cat a lot. You could get him as a single or adopt a second cat with him. The shelter workers could probably help you find one that both you and he will like.