Indoor Cat Food

stsgirl_mo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am looking into switching my two cats to an indoor cat food formula. I am very new at having only indoor cats. I don't know what is a good brand to use for them. If anyone has any feedback I am very interested in hearing it. Thank You!!

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Indoor cat foods generally have more carbs and fillers which can also contribute to weight gain. I would just look for somethng that doesn't have as many calories per cup as other foods.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just go with a good quality of cat food from a pet store like Pet Smart. I wouldn't worry about specific indoor cat foods. Wet food is great too.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jen

Just go with a good quality of cat food from a pet store like Pet Smart. I wouldn't worry about specific indoor cat foods. Wet food is great too.
This is good info and so was Moggiegirls ... I also have found that soy is often in higher end indoor formulas and many cats are sensitive

ripw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed my cat Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix Indoor Feline. As a new pet owner (5 months), I wasn't sure what to feed Flyer until I learned that corn is not particularly good for cats. I started reading the ingredients of the cat food in my local pet store and was surprised at how many of the so-called premium foods list corn or corn meal as an ingredient. Ultramix was the 1st dry food I discovered that didn't have "potentially unhealthy" ingredients so I tried it. Flyer loves it and I feel better feeding him a healthier diet.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RipW

I feed my cat Castor & Pollux Natural Ultramix Indoor Feline. As a new pet owner (5 months), I wasn't sure what to feed Flyer until I learned that corn is not particularly good for cats. I started reading the ingredients of the cat food in my local pet store and was surprised at how many of the so-called premium foods list corn or corn meal as an ingredient. Ultramix was the 1st dry food I discovered that didn't have "potentially unhealthy" ingredients so I tried it. Flyer loves it and I feel better feeding him a healthier diet.
That is very true. This is one of the things that makes foods thought to be premium quality, actually not so good. Problem is that many foods are promoted by vets and so the general public thinks oh these must be great foods if the vet recommends it! But vets don't know much about nutrition, they are promoting these foods because they sell them. Not because they are great foods.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've found Nutro Natural Choice for Indoor Cats to be excellent. Less shedding and litterbox odor. And it's supposed to help prevent weight gain in less-active indoor cats, vs. a regular cat food.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by stsgirl_mo

I am looking into switching my two cats to an indoor cat food formula. I am very new at having only indoor cats. I don't know what is a good brand to use for them. If anyone has any feedback I am very interested in hearing it. Thank You!!
I wouldn't be concerned about finding an indoor cat food, just find a good cat food. My Twitch doesn't like Nutro's Indoor adult food, but likes their regular Adult food. I would just find a high quality dry(& wet) to feed & forget about having "indoor" on the label.

andrewweilin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

I've found Nutro Natural Choice for Indoor Cats to be excellent. Less shedding and litterbox odor. And it's supposed to help prevent weight gain in less-active indoor cats, vs. a regular cat food.
I've heard some fantastic things, some rather remarkable, about Nutro's Indoor Formula. I have yet to feed it to my cats because they don't make an indoor kitten formula (2 more months to go!), but I've heard some fairly outlandish claims. I've heard that it not only reduces litter box odors, but also makes them poop LESS. I've also heard that it improves the consistency of poop to be more firm and therefore more easily scoopable. Sounds a bit crazy to me. Does it actually do that?

ripw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by andrewweilin

I've heard some fantastic things, some rather remarkable, about Nutro's Indoor Formula. I have yet to feed it to my cats because they don't make an indoor kitten formula (2 more months to go!), but I've heard some fairly outlandish claims. I've heard that it not only reduces litter box odors, but also makes them poop LESS. I've also heard that it improves the consistency of poop to be more firm and therefore more easily scoopable. Sounds a bit crazy to me. Does it actually do that?
LOL...let's just say this. When we first acquired out cat (Md. SPCA), we went to the "dollar store" and purchased Friskies cat food, $.25 a can. Went home and opened a can for our new cat. When my wife came into the basement, where the cat's food dish would be, she asked why the animal smelled so bad. I explained to her it wasn't the cat, it was the food. We were quick to discover it smelled just as bad coming out of the cat as before it went in.

Said all that to say this. I noticed a drastic change when we started feeding him premium brand food (I alternate between Nutro, Natural Balance, and Castor and Pollix Ultramix). He noticably uses the litter box less and eats less. The strong smell of food and the odor of food waste is gone. No more "hairball hacking" and vomiting. I noticed this soon after switching to Nutro, but I wouldn't swear that Nutro is solely responsible. The apparent change seems (to me at least) to be the result of feeding the cat better quality food.