My kitty is drooling... PLEASE HELP...

jewelbirdbp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning, I woke up to find my kitty on top of my chest of drawers asleep in a puddle of water. I went to her, not sure what it was and noticed two beads of water dripping from the side of her month. So I picked her up and carried her to the living room and noticed that she had been a sleep on my desk ealier and there were small puddles of water on there too. She is a little over 2 years old and I adopted her w/o much knowledge of her medical history.

She is acting fine physically (ie. still eatting and drinking water, purring and showing affection, playing on the scratch post, sleeping, etc.) She is just trying to lick the salava as it comes out and the poor thing cannot keep it under control.

The only thing that I have done differently in the last 24 hrs, was that I gave her some canned tuna. I have given thsi to her once before and she has never had an issue with it...

Please help. I am terrified of this symptom because I know that it can be an indicater of certian issues. Since I am new to the area, and just adopted her two weeks ago, I have not found a vet that I go to. My other concern is that it is Sunday and vets are not open on Sunday... Does anyone have any advice...???

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she seems fine otherwise, I would not be overly concerned.
My Blondie is a drooler and the vet said that some cats just do that when they are excited or happy.

He can really make a mess of me when he is walking back and forth purring and being lovely. He will often have drool hanging from the side of his mouth.

On the other hand. you might want to take a look in her mouth to see if her gums are inflamed or swollen in case it is an issue with her teeth. If so then call your vet for an appointment Monday to have her teeth checked to see if dental work is needed. I wouldn't consider it an emergency though.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't know if you should be so worried. Jazmine and Figaro are HUGE droolers...Jazmine will get up after sleeping and there will be a huge puddle where she was sleeping. Figaro drools a lot on regular basis and splashes us with drool when he's licking us/himself. They're both completely healthy.

For peace of mind, you could schedule a vet visit and make sure she's healthy. If she is, I wouldn't worry about it.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my cats drool too. I don't think you need to worry. If she was foaming at the mouth too or some other symptom then I might be worried. But drooling while sleeping? I mean, I do that sometimes hehe. Don't you?

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jewelbirdbp

This morning, I woke up to find my kitty on top of my chest of drawers asleep in a puddle of water. I went to her, not sure what it was and noticed two beads of water dripping from the side of her month. So I picked her up and carried her to the living room and noticed that she had been a sleep on my desk ealier and there were small puddles of water on there too. She is a little over 2 years old and I adopted her w/o much knowledge of her medical history.

She is acting fine physically (ie. still eatting and drinking water, purring and showing affection, playing on the scratch post, sleeping, etc.) She is just trying to lick the salava as it comes out and the poor thing cannot keep it under control.

The only thing that I have done differently in the last 24 hrs, was that I gave her some canned tuna. I have given thsi to her once before and she has never had an issue with it...

Please help. I am terrified of this symptom because I know that it can be an indicater of certian issues. Since I am new to the area, and just adopted her two weeks ago, I have not found a vet that I go to. My other concern is that it is Sunday and vets are not open on Sunday... Does anyone have any advice...???
See if she will let you open her mouth and check out her teeth. If there's a red line around her teeth it's most likely a gum infection. Scratch had one and all we had to do was treat it with some antibiotics and he was totally fine. If other symptoms arise, like foaming at the mouth or panting you should take her to the vet right away.

Good luck, and welcome to TCS!