Remote controlled tarantulas!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The good people at National Geographic are advertising these as educational toys in their catalog. Perhaps, but I guess they do not know a lot about cat behavior! My nephew came to the house tonight and he had one of these amazing things. We have hardwood floors and these things scurry along the hardwood floor quite well. So what you do is place one under the couch and then call your unsuspecting cat in and wait for the barrels of laughs to begin. When the cat enters the room, out comes the tarantula, running across the floor in front of the cat. The fun is non-stop from that point until when the cat knocks the spider over and you have a spider on his back with eight legs whirring away. No, this is not being mean at all, it is a wonderful way to exercise the cat while sitting on your duff in the recliner. Funny that National Geo never thought about this or mentioned it in their catalog add! Guess they didn't know any thing about cat behavior. Or, perhaps they are not as devious or lazy as I am! I can vouch for the fact that Persi is going to have many, many hours of exercise with this device and the satisfaction of the "kill" when he finally knocks the fake spider over with its legs whirring a way at which time I kill the remote and Persi has won another victory!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like a perfect toy! I've often told my DH that we need to invent some kind of automated roach as our cats would spend HOURS hunting them and would get lots of exercise!!

Stephanie

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
website?????? i need to see this before i buy one - i'm an arachnophob

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, you can search on remote controlled tarantulas and find them much cheaper...who'd have thought there was such a big market in these things!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

By the way, you can search on remote controlled tarantulas and find them much cheaper...who'd have thought there was such a big market in these things!
I'll bet most of the buyers have cats.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aww that's so cute!! We used to have a pet tarantula, but the cats hated her and hissed at her in her tank. =( So maybe a fake one would help them get some revenge, lol.

We used to have this one toy for the boys that was called "the Mouse" (I think) and was shaped like a computer mouse and you flicked a switch on the bottom of it and it whirled in circles and made HORRIBLE loud noises. The cats hated it. (actually, so did I!)

I have a feeling my guys just aren't into the interactive toys. Even little stuffed catnip ones. Or jingly balls. Wad up a piece of paper, and they'll play for hours, but go buy one and they turn their noses up at it, lol. They also love used tissues they dig out of the garbage. =P weirdo's!

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember seeing those in Target this summer
! However, I do like being married, and that could change if I got one of those- either he would leave
, or he would have a heart attack!

Oh well, thanks anyways!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GirlSetsFiyah

Aww that's so cute!! We used to have a pet tarantula, but the cats hated her and hissed at her in her tank. =( So maybe a fake one would help them get some revenge, lol.

We used to have this one toy for the boys that was called "the Mouse" (I think) and was shaped like a computer mouse and you flicked a switch on the bottom of it and it whirled in circles and made HORRIBLE loud noises. The cats hated it. (actually, so did I!)

I have a feeling my guys just aren't into the interactive toys. Even little stuffed catnip ones. Or jingly balls. Wad up a piece of paper, and they'll play for hours, but go buy one and they turn their noses up at it, lol. They also love used tissues they dig out of the garbage. =P weirdo's!
My folks would buy me all kinds of high tech toys but I always liked the simple things like empty cigar boxes!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everybody with a cat knows the delights of emptying a shopping bag and leaving it on the floor for the cat to explore. I mentioned how much fun it was to use the remote tarantula on the cat, but then my wife suggested I put the fake spider into a shopping bag on the floor. So, the cat comes in to find a delightful shopping bag on the floor with something buzzing and scratching around inside. I'd have to think a long time to come up with something more fun than this! Remember, this is for the cat's entertainment, not mine...

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

Everybody with a cat knows the delights of emptying a shopping bag and leaving it on the floor for the cat to explore. I mentioned how much fun it was to use the remote tarantula on the cat, but then my wife suggested I put the fake spider into a shopping bag on the floor. So, the cat comes in to find a delightful shopping bag on the floor with something buzzing and scratching around inside. I'd have to think a long time to come up with something more fun than this! Remember, this is for the cat's entertainment, not mine...
LOL, suuuure...!!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
eeeeew, they are pretty heinous. . . .but i bet stoli would love one. would the cheaper ones work as well?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would assume the cheaper ones would work just as well, since cats do not worry about price like us humans do!l