Anyone else have an "only cat"?

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It seems most people on this site have more than one cat. Curious, if you only have one, why??

I got my kitten two months ago. Since having him I would love to get another. But, we go on vacation several times a year and I don't think my mother would be up for me bring two cats over. We may take him with us one of these times so flying with one would be easier then two. Also, this kitten has tried to escape several times and I am not sure I could take the stress of having to watch out for two cats everytime we leave the house (my young kids come in and out and are not always good about the door). Lastly, I have this fear (true or not) that litterbox avoidance happens more often when you have more then one cat. My sister had that problem (well, her cat did) for years and it was so awful for her. Actually the biggest reason I only have one cat is my DH probably would not go for getting another.

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are plenty of people on this forum with single cats. I have Gizmo, and she's enough for me.

Gizmo loves being the center of attention. She's cool with my going to work during the day as long as she gets petted and played with during the morning and the night.
When I'm away for a day or so (as I'll be today) she is watched by the neighbours.

Gizmo does fine as an 'only cat'. There are no hard and fast rules for cat behaviour any more than there is for people.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one cat, really would like to get another kitten but I have some of the same questions as you - especially the litterbox.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have only one cat, because I am allergic to cats.
If I was not allergic, I would have more.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are meant to be only cats - I've had 2 such cats - were much happier to be only cats.

As long as you have people around to play with your kitten, you don't have to adopt a 2nd one. Usually we recommend a 2nd cat or other companion (like a dog) for people that work and no one is home most of the day.

And some people that are allergic to cats can only have one in the house because they can't tolerate more then that.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one cat. I have had 13 at once before, i see no difference in having one or more. Personally this time around we have one because, 1) the landlord we had to beg after 3 years to be allowed even one cat 2) she is more than enough lol. I am a stay at home mom so she doesnt need a playmate, she has me and a 6 year old and 2 year old to play with (and my husband who wrestles with her like another cat) in a few years we will either get another cat or i will be fostering cats so she will have playmates for now she is more than enough lol

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Although I would love to have more than one cat, there are two main reasons I don't. First and foremost, Jamie doesn't like other cats. His aggressive behavior started at a very early age with his litter mates, and continued with our then resident cat, since deceased, to the extent that they had to be kept separated. Also, like Karen, I'm allergic to cats, and even with constant vacuuming, changing the sheets, and air filters, have a very runny nose and sneezing.

elektra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have only Little Kitty. She grew up with one other cat when I lived with my parents, but I took her with me when I left. At first I thought she'd be lonely, but as it turns out, she really prefers to be an only cat. She absolutely HATES other animals. Cats, Dogs, whatever. She growls and hisses. I tried getting another kitten, but LK would just scowl at her and biff her with her (closed) paw if she got too close. So the kitten moved in with my mom, so she is happy too. Anyway, that's why I have one cat. But it's good. LK loves people; she's very friendly, to people.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Zissou's an only baby.

I would prefer to have more, but space/finances do not permit me to be a totally responsible cat parent to more than one.

Someday...

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
I am also allergic to cats and while I would easily become one of those eccentric cat women, my allergies don't permit it. As for Abi's single status , she is queen of her 4500 square feet territory and no one messes with her. I have never felt she needed the company of another animal. I work from home and she gets tons of attention and when I cant be with her she find flies and moths to entertain her. Perches are at many windows and we have large glass doors in several places for her to survey the neighborhood.

krissie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have only one. Miss Arizona doesn't like other animals, and was nearly kicked out of foster care for beefing with the animals in two separate homes. I admit to having serious longings in the Cat Adoption area at PetSmart, but I would hate to have things go south because of another cat. Plus there is the added expense (a big concern for a grad student) especially if new kitty has health or behavior issues.

She loves people and being the center of attention. At six years old she's mellowed out enough to spend most of the day sleeping and watching squirrels, with the occasional cardboard-mouse-beating session, but when she wants company she comes around and demands it.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dusty is an only kitty. She was a stray that came to live on our patio when she was about 2. We've had her nearly 2 years now. She is nearly purrfect - never had fleas or earmites, never scratches the furniture, never has a potty accident, and she doesn't cause allergic reactions in cat-allergic people.

Since she is so good natured and lovable, I'm afraid to upset the dynamics. I'm also afraid she would be terribly jealous of sharing her domain with another animal.

We are very blessed to have her!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We only have one because I am living with my family right now and some family members don't even want the one cat...but we are planning on getting a kitten anyway

Before that I always had just one cat because my cat Sylvia would not tolerate other cats at all, and I had her for about 12-15 years.

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pippin is our only cat because after a lifetime of living in a "dog crazy" family with German Shepherds, Maltese Poodles and Toy Poms (not that I don't love dogs... I miss my doggies), I felt I needed a companion that I could love, adore and mollycoddle for life!

I cannot enter a pet shop or walk past the RSPCA without pining for antother kitty and believe me, on many occasions walked out of our local pet shop in tears because I've seen the most adorable kitten that I know I couldn't keep.

I couldn't bring another baby into the house without knowing for sure Pip would be ok with it! He's had so much upheavel lately (recently moved and he's now being trained to stay indoors - something he's not too sure if he likes yet!), he's a fraidy cat because he was never integrated with humans while he was a kitten (he and his siblings were locked in a caravan with no human interacation! If he wasn't the last one left... I'd have taken them all!) and he's only ever had to share my attention with my partner and when I lived at home, with my mother.

Right now I think he's just loving having me fawn all over him while he adjusts to the changes I've been forced to make in both our lives.

So for the time being Pippin's my "only Cat"

steve'n'tiggy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tiggy is all i need. we also have a poodle so people are staff around here. plus tiggy is king of the land and i need to ask him first.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Radar is an only cat. I do have ambitions to become a 'mad cat lady' at some point though, although my husband is not too enthusiastic about that! And I'm not sure the parrot would be amused either.

forget-me-not

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Astrid is an only cat - I have wanted one forever but only since my apartment building was sold was I permitted to have one. At least I have a pet friendly Landlord. I really can't tell whether she would be happier with another cat or not, she didn't seem very social in the adoption center.

I am not sure what my living arrangements will be next year, whether to move or stay, so I am holding off on the issue of another pet. But when the opportunity comes to adopt again I am definitely adopting litter mates or two cats. One of the best experiences of my life was bringing home a kitten from college to my parents home with a cat who was a large dominant only cat - he hissed and scratched the kitten, but in a short time they became best buds and seeing them sleep together and play together was just priceless. They were inseparable.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by meow meow

It seems most people on this site have more than one cat. Curious, if you only have one, why??

I got my kitten two months ago. Since having him I would love to get another. But, we go on vacation several times a year and I don't think my mother would be up for me bring two cats over. We may take him with us one of these times so flying with one would be easier then two. Also, this kitten has tried to escape several times and I am not sure I could take the stress of having to watch out for two cats everytime we leave the house (my young kids come in and out and are not always good about the door). Lastly, I have this fear (true or not) that litterbox avoidance happens more often when you have more then one cat. My sister had that problem (well, her cat did) for years and it was so awful for her. Actually the biggest reason I only have one cat is my DH probably would not go for getting another.
I have only one cat at the present, if one shows up on my porch again, then I will have two. I also travel a lot and cannot count on anybody to take care of more than one cat while I am gone. Since he is Persian, he requires daily grooming and that requires personal care. Also I am retired, so when I am not travelling he has company all day long and does not need another cat friend to play with although he might disagree.

cheshirecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Chester is an only cat because he is afraid of other animals and the shelter recommended he be an only cat.

Also I have physical limitations that made me worry that I might not be able to have any cat. Fortunately I have found ways to make it work. And Chester is the perfect cat for me.

Some times I worry about him being lonely while I am at work. But he doesnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t seem to want all that much attention when I am home.

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had an only cat (Emily) for 3-4 years because I was finishing college, and then living in my own small apartment by myself. So it was mainly for financial and space reasons. She definitely seemed happy by herself.