Terrible 2 woes

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any and Every idea is needed here.
Alright, so I've got a small child. Almost 3 years old. And man, She is NAUGHTY.
We've recently gave her her own room. About a week ago in fact. (We had a room-mate that was using the extra room, and she was staying in our room, but the roomate moved)
So, she has learned how to open her door. So I installed a "door knob protector" type thing that is supposed to keep kids from opening doors. Well, she's a scandolous little one, and has figured out a way around it, and still opens the door. I don't know how. I can't even figure it out.

I work in the mornings, and SO is with her untill I get home. What she does is opens her door in the morning, and roams around the house like a quiet little mouse slowly destroying everything in sight.

Day one-She took my make-up bag and painted herself and our carpets with every make-up known to man.

Day two-She took a chair and climbed up and went in our junk drawer, and spread everything in it all over the floor.

Day three-I was here this morning, and swore it was just because SO sleeps pretty deep, and that I would hear her and figure out what was really going on. Well, Kipper comes in the room nudging my head all crazy..So I woke up. Praying that she was still in her room. I get up, look out, and her door is open. Oh boy. There was a bottle of nail polish spilled on the couch, and all cd's and computer stuff was strewn across the floor, and she was quietly sipping a Dr. Pepper from last night in her elmo chair.

Wow..Talk about a mess. A never ending mess. We've even put a baby monitor in her room so that when she wakes up, we can hear her even better. But not a peep from her. She's a very sneaky child, and she knows it.

So-what'll I do? I've had a talk with her and seemed to understand that she needs to come in and wake us up, or let us know through the monitor that she's awake. But that was last night,and she promised she would.
She never really wakes up at a certain time so we never know what time Hurricane Small-Child will start on the path.
I just had to think that other people had this problem in thier lives, and that someone would know what to do.
I was thinking about installing an outside of her door lock. Like one of those little latch hook locks.

Any good ideas, or tips that you know of?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah the memories!

I put a baby gate up at my son's door when he would do that. He couldn't climb over it w/o making noise when he did figure it out.... Or, but a bell on her door so you'll hear it when she opens it. Put it at the top outside so she can't reach it.... OR... put a bell on her blanket.. that way you'll hear her get up.. you could pin one on her PJ's too.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know what they are called anymore, but you know those dangly pretty things i think they are called Chimes??
Hang it by the door this way when she opens it you can hear it perfictly!
I wish you the best of luck with this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonder why I didn't think of that.

Bells/Chimes. PERFECT!
Guess I was too busy cleaning up the rubble left after Hurricane Small-Child.
Thanks...

ilovesiamese

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, my son figured out the door knob protectors too quite a while ago.

Here's how he does it: His little fingers are small enough to fit in the hole in the front of the protector and he can grip the door knob just enough to turn it.

Fixing this problem: Put duck tape over the hole so he can't get his fingers under the protector to turn the knob.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about installing an outside of her door lock. Like one of those little latch hook locks.
Is she potty trained?If so, then she wouldn't be able to get to the bathroom with one on her door.Also, if there is a fire.......then she would be stuck in her room and wouldn't be able to get out.....and you might not be able to get to her in time.
Here is what I did for my son who was a sleep walker
We put up a baby gate by his door.Put it about 3 inches off the bottom of the floor,so she can't get over it easy and she can't get stuck UNDER it.If that doesn't work, put one on the ground and then another one a bit higher up.If still not luck, put one at her door and then one a bit down the hall way.
They sell a door chime that works with a magnet.When you set it to chime and the door is opened, it will make a LOUD chime.Therefore letting you know she's up.You can go to Lowes or Home Depot maybe even Toys R Us.
She is getting out her door by ever so carefully putting her finger in the hole in the door cover and turning the knob.Try it!!It's easy!

You could put something like a ribbon(not long though so she can get strangeled) on the outside or inside of her door with a bell on it.So when she opens the door, it will ding.
Other than that, get a small table that ONLY she can play at with SPECIAL toys for ONLY when she gets up BEFORE Mom does.
Good luck,I don't envy you one bit.I've been through that stage 4 times now.

Our middle son decided that he wanted to see what eggs looked like cracked open.Only problem was,he cracked them on the floor.
Youngest son decided to color ALL over my walls with a crayon.
And then the oldest, decided to call 911.Thakfully I was able to tell them everything was o.k
Our daughter decided that she wanted to call her Granny that lives in Mich.
You'd be surprised how you forget what to do for the "quiet child".

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by IloveSiamese

OK, my son figured out the door knob protectors too quite a while ago.

Here's how he does it: His little fingers are small enough to fit in the hole in the front of the protector and he can grip the door knob just enough to turn it.

Fixing this problem: Put duck tape over the hole so he can't get his fingers under the protector to turn the knob.
ooo glad i saw this, my 6 year old does that hehe now i can stop him

as for your two year old, welcome to the club lol, i have a 6 year old and a 2(be 3 in nov) year old and i can so relate, gotta love parenthood, whose worse kids or cats? i think its a tie

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been reading the posts about 8-Bit and his naughtiness?

Have you considered a motion detector/alarm system?

But your lil' darlin' sounds like the kind who would be able to override or disable it.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Has she been reading the posts about 8-Bit and his naughtiness?

Have you considered a motion detector/alarm system?

But your lil' darlin' sounds like the kind who would be able to override or disable it.
Hey now! He's not that bad.... well..... perhaps he is.

I am a sleep walker, so when I was a kid my parents had to contend with a child who would destroy things and not know she was doing it. The one thing that worked was tying a string of bells to my door, so they knew when I was waking up. They also put baby locks on all the cabinets in the bathrooms and kitchen so I couldn't get into anything.

Now that I am still sleepwalking my husband takes all the knobs off the stove, and out of the bathroom so I don't either light anything on fire or drown myself accidentally.

I hope this helps. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definitely purchase some child proof things for your oven...just in case. Babies R Us sells some good ones. (hopefully she won't be able to figure those out.) I also agree with the others about trying the bells and chimes as well as the baby monitor. I also would be careful and put a toilet lock on the toilet at night..and leave out a small potty for her. Should she get into the toilet....it could be a drowning hazard. I wouldn't risk it- I would just leave out her small potty for her. Also, I would put all of your makeup, crayons, cleaning supplies..etc..anything she can get ahold of in a top shelf of your cabinets with safety locks on them just in case. I wish I had more ideas for you, but i'm out. Sounds like you're raising the next Hudinie lol...good luck! my prayers are with you!!!! (try to remember- she will grow out of this..and in the mean time- Hide your makeup!!!
) I also thought crittersmom had a cute idea of setting up your little girl her own table for when she wakes up with only things that she can play with on it...
Good luck!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would put the bells on the doors. Whe I was caring for a sneaky Ahlzheimer's patient, I got big, brass bells with 8 to a ring and put them on the door, out of reach. Not only can a small person not reach them, the are louder banging on the door. It worked perfectly. The bells would also remind her that she was not supposed to go outside without me.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember my mother telling me that when i was young, they had to block off my room at night, cause i would get up, and roam around( i guess i was a little vampire back then also) once i woke them up how playing outside. It was around 2:20 in the morning(i know the time cause once again today my dad was telling the wife about it
)

I dont know the rules, but in todays world putting up something like that would maybe get u in trouble.,, i do like the idea of a motion detector/alarm system, i think you can get cheap one at radio shack?

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I guess we got lucky. Our 3 year old has recently gained victory over the door knob protectors. After we put her to bed, we simply lock her door and unlock it and open it when we go to bed. If she does wake up before us, she just goes into the living room and turns on the TV and all of the lights!

I like the bell idea because its not safe to leave a child in a locked room in the middle of the night. In addition, I think they have sleepwalking alarms that would seem a perfect fit in this situation. If all else fails, buy her a breakaway collar with a bell.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well this here thread makes me feel all warm inside knowing that others had the same problem.
(Yay!)
This advice is awesome.
Another reason I just crave me some TCS everyday.
Anyways, So I'm going to the store tomarrow & checking out some bells and other things for this problem. I wasn't aware that there were things being sold to help. That's really cool.

Our 3 year old has recently gained victory over the door knob protectors
I like that. "Gained Victory".
They sure do act like it's a great accomplishment.
Today she brought in the bedroom with a "come on mom, I show you!" And told/showed me the 2 year olds way to get past the door-knob protector. It was pretty funny. What do they sell them things for anyways?!

She's been sucking up to me too, because she could tell I was upset not knowing what to do about the door problem. She's all like "Mommy's pretty!" And throwing in the ADORABLE "I love you's" with a bat of her eyes.

Nah..She's definatly not that good yet.

i have a 6 year old and a 2(be 3 in nov) year old and i can so relate,
Mine will be 3 in november too!

Youngest son decided to color ALL over my walls with a crayon
Having kids sure does make your house more colorful doesnt it?!

I now have pink eyeshadow glitter spots in my livingroom. And purple shadow glitter spots in her room. Most on the floor. It's quite a nice addition. Everybody needs a little "glitter" in thier life eh? That's how I think it.. The vacuume doesnt really do the spots on the floor any justice. So I may need a carpet shampooer.

Is she potty trained?
Oh honey that's a whole 'nother thread topic.
I don't even want to get started talking about potty training.

Well I'm done being talkitive today. I didn't really have an actual person to person conversation today, So I'm a bit full of lots of things to say.

That was like an instant message, but waaay longer.

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How about hooking up a 12 volt battery to the doorknob? That would teach her real quick!

Naw, just kidding! I really envy parents. I just spent 3 days with my nephews and was ready to kill one of them! My cousin, who lived with my sister for awhile, told me that the middle one was a compulsive liar, thinks everyone should cater to him and has the "me, me, me" attitude. I didn't believe it until I stayed with him. He is a hellion! I feel sorry for my sister. The older one is alot better than when he was younger, and the youngest one isn't old enough yet to really cause problems. Oh BTW, they are 8, 6(in Oct.) and 1 1/2.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having kids sure does make your house more colorful doesnt it?!
OH yea it does!! Here is a pic that my youngest two decided to make my kitchen ceiling look pretty by throwing slime(also knows as gak up on it)

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

I would take a hot pink highlighter and make a polka dot ceiling.

Now that's an Idea!
I'm thinking about doing it to my carpets.
I'm about to leave for the store to get me one of them alarm things..And some chimes.

Hope it works..I suuure do.