need an answer

irishgal76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi i have been noticing something weird about my cat somedays her stomach looks bloated and other days its fine she has been having diarriah for a bit too. im not sure whats going on just to let u know she has had at least 3 litters 1 just about 8 wks ago and still nurses them sometimes.please help. Thanks

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be any number of things and probably should be seen by a vet. Is their a reason why she hasn't been spayed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

irishgal76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
um the reason why is we have had some financial issues lately and i really do want to get her spayed i feel so bad for her and hate myself for not putting something away for it i care for her and my other one dearly. i have been looking into some options lately because it is just not fair to her to be having these kittens nor is it fair to them and i fear for her health. i will keep you informed of this i feel like such a bad cat owner because of this. thanks so much for your replys.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your vet is the best one to tell you what's going on, but I would suspect worms. Check her butt area for any little rice like residue.
Is she indoor/outdoor? If so, she probably does have worms, which can cause diarhea and bloated tummy.
I don't think it would hurt her (or the kittens) for her to be wormed. Check with a vet to see if you can worm the kittens, since if one has them, they probably all do.

Devlyn

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a couple of people on this board that know a lot about low cost spay clinics in different areas of the country. They are very active on this board and probably will post to this thread after the weekend. If not or they aren't aware of any in your area you could try calling a shelter they may know of one in your area. They are really very common because a lot of people have the same problem you have and it is nothing to be embarrassed about.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Denice

There are a couple of people on this board that know a lot about low cost spay clinics in different areas of the country. They are very active on this board and probably will post to this thread after the weekend. If not or they aren't aware of any in your area you could try calling a shelter they may know of one in your area. They are really very common because a lot of people have the same problem you have and it is nothing to be embarrassed about.
Yes, indeed. It's nothing to be embarassed about at ALL! You've taken her in and you're obviously caring and concerned for her, which is everything she needs right now.
Love and care! But I noticed you are in NY - there are many Humane Society branches that neuter/spay for as little as $35. They also have a sliding scale. If you go in and talk with them, I'm sure they could help you. Their concern is that she get fixed, rather than your finances and they will help you.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you tell us what city you are in in New York then we can help you find a low cost clinic in your area. My advice would also be to call a local humane society or similar animal rescue and ask if there are any.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like either worms or coccidia, a single-celled intestinal parasite. My kittens had that and one had bad problems with bloating and a little diarrhea. These parasites will show up in a fecal float test which is pretty inexpensive. Just bring a fresh fecal sample to a vet and they'll do the test. It's only $15 at my vet's office. The test plus meds for both kittens was only $25.

If Mom has intestinal parasites, so do the kittens. You should get them treated too.

And like the others I highly recommend getting your cat spayed. Here are some resources to help you look for a low cost clinic:

http://neuterspay.org/spay_neuter_re...s_by_state.htm
http://www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html
http://www.friendsofanimals.org/prog...ter/index.html

And you can call your shelter. Many shelters have their own spay/neuter clinics or can help you find one. My shelter's clinic costs only $30 and I think it has a sliding scale in case you are having serious money issues. Till then, please keep her indoors and away from unneutered male cats. Plus, if she doesn't go outdoors she'll be less likely to pick up more parasites.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by irishgal76

um the reason why is we have had some financial issues lately and i really do want to get her spayed i feel so bad for her and hate myself for not putting something away for it i care for her and my other one dearly. i have been looking into some options lately because it is just not fair to her to be having these kittens nor is it fair to them and i fear for her health. i will keep you informed of this i feel like such a bad cat owner because of this. thanks so much for your replys.
We went to http://www.spayusa.org/ and got Jazmine done for $50 (they send you a voucher for a low-cost vet in your area). We had to pay $150 each for Tink and Minnie.