Nasty Cough

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 4½yr old brought home a nasty cough last week and I got it! It's horrible! I feel like there's a tickle in the back of my throat and it causes me to cough. I've taken Mucinex DM, and DayQuil and it's not stopping...
I cough so hard I feel like my body's going to lock up and I'm going to keel over... ANy suggestions? My throat's not sore, just a constant cough... Dh says it sounds like Kennel Cough
Can I slap him?
I coughed so hard earlier, I had to cross my legs! (Only women will understand that one
)

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quite some time ago I had strep and a cough at the same time. I told the doctor I would kill myself if I coughed one more time. (
) She recommended Dimetapp DM AND Robitussin DM at the same time. It really worked. But they both have to be the DM

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Quite some time ago I had strep and a cough at the same time. I told the doctor I would kill myself if I coughed one more time. (
) She recommended Dimetapp DM AND Robitussin DM at the same time. It really worked. But they both have to be the DM
I have a hard time with Robitussin DM. I break out in hives with it and it makes me jittery... I don't know why but it does. I am going to take some NyQuil here in a little bit.
I NEVER get sick but when I do, I'm sick for a long time. Deacon is like that also.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooo...
Nyquil Rocks my Socks.
That for sure will work.

Good luck with the cough..
I'd say strong Halls Cough Drops throughout the day, and Nyquil at night.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

I have a hard time with Robitussin DM. I break out in hives with it and it makes me jittery... I don't know why but it does. I am going to take some NyQuil here in a little bit.
I NEVER get sick but when I do, I'm sick for a long time. Deacon is like that also.
Bummer. It must be the decongestant. They make my heart pound.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Bummer. It must be the decongestant. They make my heart pound.
That might be what it is... I just did a shot of NyQuil.
Didn't even look at how much I'm supposed to take
Just took a mouthful!
What can I say? I'm desperate!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That might be what it is... I just did a shot of NyQuil.
Didn't even look at how much I'm supposed to take
Just took a mouthful!
What can I say? I'm desperate!
Been there, done that - ever notice it tastes like Jagermeister? *shudder*

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Been there, done that - ever notice it tastes like Jagermeister? *shudder*
YIKES! I never thought it tasted like that untill you said that...But it's true. So very true. Bleh..AND WITHOUT REDBULL!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can get your doctor to give you prescriptions for H-C Tussive (Hisstuss) and Tessalon Pearls- those will nip that cold and cough!!!! That is the only thing that ever works for me when i'm sick. I have astmah, so i have to be careful when I get colds- it easily gets in my lungs and turns into pnemonia. The H-C Tussive is a cough syrup- it is the best thing i've tried out of prescription and otc stuff. The Tessalon pearls are tiny tiny pills you take to help control the coughing and prevent infection- they work excellent! Good luck sweetie, I hope you feel better soon. Also, Cepacol cough drops are awesome as are Halls- you can pick those up at the drug store.

Also, rub some of that Vicks vapor rub or the off brand under your nose and on your chest before you take a hot shower- that will help you breath better!!! Feel better soon!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope you start to feel better soon! Definitely get your doctor to write you a prescription

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well.. I took the NyQuil.. I'm buzzing... HARD... But I'm still coughin
Well, this may not help tonight, but I would get some codeine cough syrup. I found out the hard way, that it's not so good for females to cough a lot - I was coughing REALLY bad and ripped the ligaments for my uterus and bladder. Now I have to have surgery. If it's bad enough that it wakes you, or if you think you are going to throw up, I would go to the doctor. Sometimes on Saturday you have to go in the morning only - so be ready tomorrow morning if you need to. It doesn't make you that sleepy - it just really calms down that cough.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Last night I downed ALOT of NyQuil and passed out
I woke up this morning and was horse. I couldn't hardly talk.
I'm not coughing AS much but when I do it's harder.

If I'm not better by Monday I'm going to the Dr.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same thing.
Last weekend i lost my voice, then i was really ill during the week, now its pretty much gone, but my cough wont budge!

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today I felt worse then EVER!
I just couldn't wake up this morning.
Around 11am I laid back down on the couch and slept till 4pm

I'm feeling a little better now... Sippin on some wonton chicken soup

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Tessalon is good stuff - but only if its a dry cough! It stops the muscles in your throat from letting you cough, basically, and if you have anything in your chest, you literally cannot cough it out. I learned that the hard way!
I thought I had a dry cough when he asked me...turns out I didn't.

For me, the Mucinex has been a miracle - the DM (dextromethorpan) doesn't do a thing for me, but the guaifenisin (sp?) in Mucinex was awesome. I tried my best to keep my throat warm - i.e. tea, hot soup, etc. because that keeps away the worst of my annual bout of coughing. Best of luck with yours, I know how it can be. Last winter I woke up coughing so hard I made myself throw-up.
A doctor's visit would probably be a good thing.