The joys of living near a factory dairy farm

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I type this the only sound I hear is either the semi trucks hauling corn silage or the semi's pulling the HUGH manure tanker's!!
About 2 2 1/2 miles away is a 3400 dairy cow farm that plans on expanding to I think 6900 cows!! That's alot of manure and as WI has changed the mgmt of all this waste a farm 1/4 mile down the road that had the corn chopped is getting the liquid manure disked in. These semi trucks made (I hear another one) at least 10-15 trips an hour and will keep this up until oh about midnight!! Many of the large dairies operate around the clock and keep the trucks/tractors on the road as long as possible. Its not too smelly but those big trucks do make alot of noise driving up and down the road!! The semi's hauling the corn make about 4-5 trips an hour. No mom and pop operations but big business!!
A few of these contractors actually use street sweepers when they are down to rid the road of debris (a nice touch!!)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What an annoying situation, but remind yourself, you're hearing truckers who are earning $$$ - America's economy hard at work. (inside, i cringe about how the cows are treated)

agent_haun

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I go to high school in the next town over, and it's between a sewage plant and a huge chicken farm with 1000s of chickens. Chicken poop absolutely awful!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256

Throw some stop sticks out there

Then blame it on the road gnomes...

(sorry, it must be all this cough medicine getting to me
)
lol, easy there....put the nyquil down and slowly back away

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail after reading this. All I can say is TG I live on a private dirt road out in the middle of the woods! Is this just something that happens for a few days? Then stops?I sure hope so. It must be annoying.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Gail - that's actually good news for me to hear! Dairy farms still in business - not the noise and smell - that I know is not nice!
I work for the Dairy Association and a lot of our small farms in the east are all closing up shop too. There's less and less every year. Not necessarily good for our farmers or for the price of milk! Hang in there!

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For many years, Tucson had a huge dairy farm. When it opened (before I was born), it way out of town. Over the years, the area was developed and lots of people moved in. Then the incomers began complaining about the farm - didn't they notice it, BEFORE they bought their property? The dairy moved to the Phoenix area and the former dairy site is crammed with ticky-tacky apartments and fast-food joints. Frankly, I preferred the dairy.

Tucson has the same issues, with the Air Force base, airport and sewage treatment plant. If you don't want what goes with these places - DON'T move into the neighborhood.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

As I type this the only sound I hear is either the semi trucks hauling corn silage or the semi's pulling the HUGH manure tanker's!!
About 2 2 1/2 miles away is a 3400 dairy cow farm that plans on expanding to I think 6900 cows!! That's alot of manure and as WI has changed the mgmt of all this waste a farm 1/4 mile down the road that had the corn chopped is getting the liquid manure disked in. These semi trucks made (I hear another one) at least 10-15 trips an hour and will keep this up until oh about midnight!! Many of the large dairies operate around the clock and keep the trucks/tractors on the road as long as possible. Its not too smelly but those big trucks do make alot of noise driving up and down the road!! The semi's hauling the corn make about 4-5 trips an hour. No mom and pop operations but big business!!
A few of these contractors actually use street sweepers when they are down to rid the road of debris (a nice touch!!)
ALL you have to do is get a bunch of neighbors and start complaining. Write to mayors etc and complain complain and before you know it the dairy farm will be gone! I swear this is true! I have seen it happen before.

People build homes near Dairy farms or horse farms and homeowners do not like the smell or flies and WHAM the cows and horses are gone!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't mind it too much but the truck race down the road whenthey are empty!!
The manure trucks are done for now (the pit must be empty!!) It depends on which farm is pumping their manure pits as by law they have to hold 6 months of waste-these are dairies that have 300 cows and up!!
All of this does help the local economy and prevent urban sprawl!!
The big thing people get concerned about is ground water contamination as several homes about 20 miles NW of me were contaminated with bacteria from manue run off-they had a picture of the water on TV-gross a cloudy light brown color...

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyBabies

ALL you have to do is get a bunch of neighbors and start complaining. Write to mayors etc and complain complain and before you know it the dairy farm will be gone! I swear this is true! I have seen it happen before.

People build homes near Dairy farms or horse farms and homeowners do not like the smell or flies and WHAM the cows and horses are gone!
Why would you move under an airport runway and then complain about the noise? The dairy farm was there first and people decide to move near it and complain about the smell? If something in the neighborhood doesn't appeal to you, move somewhere else! I can understand if the farm moved in afterwards.

That would be like moving to an ethnic neighborhood and then complaining that there are too many of them around!

Sorry for the rant, but I dealt with these politics when I lived in Orange County in California.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately we have been in out house 19 yrs and the factory farm is only about 6 yrs old!!! At least they only had three semi trucks running today so it wasn't so bad but I have an idea that they are exceeding the weight limits which will wear out all the miles of roads they use much faster. And I feel bad for my neighbor 1/4 mile down the road-the mess on the road in the front of her house (its her fields) that the contractor left is terrible and know that its raining its a big manurey mess.