revolution -- why didnt it work!!

shea81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I brought my 10 week old to the vet for first check up, they found some flea dirt on him and gave him revolution which they said would also kill any worms. Then about a week later he threw up a nasty worm and I called the vet and brought in a stool sample and they said he had roundworm. I'm bringing him back in a week (the soonest they said I could bring him) but I'm frustrated -- is it normal for "revolution" to be unsuccessful with killing worms? Also, they told me to keep him separated from my older cat for 24 hours. I did that, but now I'm worried that revolution didnt work on the fleas either and that my other cat may get them. I have never seen any flees in the house or on the kitten but they said that he had flea dirt on them. The kitten is still scratching as much as he always did but I've noticed my older cat scratching a bit more. I've never dealt with worms or fleas before, but i just wish that either the vet could have cured him on the first visit or at least told me to keep them separated until we were sure the little guy wasnt carrying anything (instead of 24 hours)!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I know revolution protects against HEART worm. I am not sure about regular round worms or those that get in their digestive system.

Ok here is what I found:
http://www.petshed.com/revolution.asp

Its says it controls hook worms and round worms.Maybe the treatment didn't have enough time to control the worms. It doesn't claim to kill them only control them so maybe it keeps them from reproducing. You should call your vet.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

From what I know revolution protects against HEART worm. I am not sure about regular round worms or those that get in their digestive system.
It does actually treat for roundworms, not tapeworms though.

The kitten may have had a bad infestation, and even if not, sometimes a second dosing of regular wormer is required, so I don't see why that may not be the case with Revolution also

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vet gave me revolution to treat my kittens for fleas and they said it also treated them for ear mites. They didn't say anything about worms. The revolution did work well though and they stopped itching within 24 hours and it has lasted a few weeks so far.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After you get your cat dewormed you can continue preventing them at home. You can get some dewormer at Walmart for about $3.00 and give it to them once a month you don't have to worry about getting them again and having pay more vet bills.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Over the counter wormers are not as safe as prescription wormers. Most vets will give additional doses to f/u at home.

I foster, and have lots of cats in and out of my home, but still I don't agree with routine preventative worming, especially with OTC wormers. I believe it isn't too expensive to run a poo sample to the vet to check for worms every six months. Then I know if they have worms or not before treating them, and I know for sure which worms they have, so they get the proper treatment.

curlyq629

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just got home from the vet after finding out my 2 cats have fleas. I gave them Revolution just now, and have lots of laundry started. Prepping to start vacuuming (what a night of fun, huh!?!).

In any case (sorry for the hijack), the vet said that with fleas, cats can end up with tapeworms... even if they are on Revolution or whatever other brand. These tapeworms usually takes 2-9 months to appear. Definitely let your vet know, and they can treat it. I just wanted to pass along my newly acquired knowledge... and my empathy- I'm feeling your pain with this!