Some questions about my kitten Tohru

natascha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everybody,

Since mid july, we have a very sweet and pretty female kitten, Maine Coon mix, born mid-may. I have some questions about her behavior and such, and maybe some of you cat-experts can help me out.

First of all, since we had her, she urinated at least 4 times outside her litterbox; once next to the box, once on top of it, twice in her basket (which we threw away, since urinating in it was all she ever did with it) and maybe more places we don't know of (I found he beloved mouse-toy this morning with a urine-spot on it, but no idea where it came from, I can't find a wet spot in the house, so maybe it's old). Can this be a medical problem, or is it marking?

Second, she's a very devoted cat, always following us around, sleeping with us, sleeping between my keyboard and computerscreen when I'm busy on the computer, even watches me brush my teeth and follows me to the bathroom. But once a year at least, we're in the USA for 4 weeks at least visiting relatives. What should I do with Tohru? Take her with us so she won't be alone at home, or leave her home with sometimes who stops by once or twice a day? What causes the least stress?

Hope you can help me,
Love,
Natascha

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might have a bladder infection often thats the cause of cats urinating outside the litter box. And has she been spayed?

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

She might have a bladder infection often thats the cause of cats urinating outside the litter box. And has she been spayed?
I agree. Have you taken her to a vet yet?

And I just had to say that I love your bunnies! They're not scared of Tohru? Or her of them? I keep putting off introducing my kittens and my rabbits because the kittens have been ill. They're scared of the rabbits and all but one rabbit is scared of them. He was from the humane society and there were cats kept in the same room, so they probably don't smell or sound too strange to him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natascha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We decided to take her to vet on monday to get her checked for any blatter problems (and we'll also let the doctor check her weight, and make an appointment for spaying). Thanks for your responses. Does anyone have an idea on the vacation/staying home thing?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natascha

We decided to take her to vet on monday to get her checked for any blatter problems (and we'll also let the doctor check her weight, and make an appointment for spaying). Thanks for your responses. Does anyone have an idea on the vacation/staying home thing?
that depends on the cat, usually. mine do much better at home, in familiar surroundings - but they're bad travelers. Yosemite's are good travelers - she just recently took them on a trip with her. maybe you'll be able to tell after you've had her a little longer.

natascha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tohru loves our bunnies! The first day we had her, the bunnies were terrified and making a lot of noise jumping around like crazy, but within the first week it got less. Tohru wasn't afraid of them, but she was careful. When we got her, the was a lot smaller than the bunnies, lol. She'd sit next to the cage, investigating, but took a step back when the bunnies came near by. Now when our brown/black/white male (the bunny on the right) jumps on the couch to play, Tohru plays him (they play tag). The white/brown female growled at Tohru at first when she came too close, but she got used to her now. She doesn't play with her though, she doesn't dare to come out of her cage yet (with out without the kitten).
So I don't have any tips, it just sorta happened. Beware though, the house will be a mess. Sometimes Tohru likes to take hay from the bunnies and spread it throughout the house. One morning we woke up, and she had gathered hay on the floor besides our bed.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you can just take a cat with you on a trip out of the country. I could be wrong but many countries have a quarentine period or something similar.

Definately get her spayed, she could be marking. She is plenty old enough to be spayed and the longer you put it off the worse it will get.

meow meow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would leave her with a trusted friend or relative at their house. Four weeks is way too long to leave such a young cat (or any pet for that matter). The only problem I would forsee is getting someone to watch her if she pees outside the box may be a problem. It would just be awful if she did this at someone elses house. Make sure you have that problem taken care of first before leaving.

I left my kitten at my mother's for four days when he was about the same age. The first day or so he was freaked out but by day 3 he acted like he lived there his whole life. When I brought him home he acted like he had never gone anywhere. I slept much better knowing he was getting round the clock attention (and wasn't destroying my house).

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natascha

Beware though, the house will be a mess. Sometimes Tohru likes to take hay from the bunnies and spread it throughout the house. One morning we woke up, and she had gathered hay on the floor besides our bed.
Oh I know! I have a big cardboard box in my living room for the bunnies and it's usually stuffed with hay and newspaper for more fun. The kittens like to take the hay and hide it everywhere, especially near my feet when I'm at the computer!

I've been allowing them to see each other more, but I'm being very cautious because Mocha has a reputation for being aggressive and Sprite is a mounter. I don't think the kittens would be fond of that, even if Sprite is smaller than them now.

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
meow meow;1345041 said:
I would leave her with a trusted friend or relative at their house. Four weeks is way too long to leave such a young cat (or any pet for that matter). The only problem I would forsee is getting someone to watch her if she pees outside the box may be a problem. It would just be awful if she did this at someone elses house. Make sure you have that problem taken care of first before leaving.

meow meow;1345041 said:

Really GOOD ADVICE here. I agree.

She is adorable!!!! Make sure that when you leave you giver her t-shirts with your scent on them. Also, play music now so you can leave the music for her (piano or something soft) when you are gone and she will associate it with you. Keep the bonds there.

As for the urinating - she's probably ready to get fixed, although I'd take all her kittens, she's just precious!! But you are wise to take her to the vet and see if there's an underlying issues, yes.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you have a friend you could leave her with when you go on vacation it is a good idea to bring her with you already now when you are visiting that friend. The she will get used to the place while you are with her.
I used to bring my cats when I visited my parents for dinner or a Sunday afternoon and it became a second home for them which was very handy when I went on vacation.

natascha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I thought about leaving Tohru with family when we're gone, but the problem is, we have a lot of allergic family members, and all of our friends already have more than one cat (one has two cats of which one is very scared and shy, one has 3 cats and a baby, and one has 4 cats which Tohru doesn't like, namely, her own mum), so leaving her home or taking her with us is really the only option :-(

By the way, our next vacation to the US will probably be next summer, so I suppose her age won't be a problem by then anymore.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, that's a tough one!
4 weeks is a little long to be by herself, but also really long to be boarded... and I think there are quarrentine procedures, and if I remember right, they may be almost as long as your vacation! However, given the choices, I would leave mine at home.

Do you know a responsible person who could house sit, or not mind coming and spending an hour or 2 at your house everday or every other day, so it would be like you coming home from work or from running errands, and she has a little relaxing one on one time? Maybe someone who wouldn't mind coming over and working on their computer or watching tv and petting the cat, too?
I think I would just leave a big, untippable bowl of water, plenty of dry food (just in case an emergency happens and they can't come), and have more than one person coming over, on assigned, alternating days/evenings- (#1 gets Mondays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, #2 gets Tues, Thurs.,#3 gets Friday and Sunday, or something like that
, and anyone who can, please check on her in the mornings,) so she will get checked on at least every other day, in case someone forgets- 4 weeks is a long time
. And remember- cats DO sleep A LOT!

Don't forget, lots of safe toys (no strings), a radio on a station with both music and talking (but not too loud
) and make arrangements with a trusted relative to have funds (like a credit card) available in case she gets sick, and let your vet know that someone else may be bringing your cat in with your card! Or, you may be able to make the arrangements with your vet
.Also, make sure doors are propped so she can't shut herself in them
. If I think of anything else, I'll let you know!

natascha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leaving her at home may be better, thought she doesn't have to go in quarrentine once she has a clean bill of health, had all her shots and is chipped (which we already did when she was 10 weeks). Well, we still have a year though, so that should be enough to find kittensitters. I'm gonna miss her so much though :-(
Thanks for your tips!