LOUD growling is this normal?

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry guys, but this is new to me with having two kittens.

Corwin and Lilly LOVE to play together now.BUT, he growls REALLY loud....like a loud meow growl.It scares the crap out of me and I'm not the one he's doing it to.
They play really good together and it's during this time that he does it.He doesn't hurt her.But, when he makes that sound,I make a loud NO sound to stop him.They love to chase each other and see who can run faster through the house.They sleep together.........Lilly would NOT play at all until we let Corwin out in the house.We did the intro's but it was faster than the 2 week period as she was getting REALLY depressed.
So, should we seperate them again and do it SLOWER?
Or because he is not hurting her and she loves him so, leave them be and ignore the growls?
Is the growls--meows normal?
The ONLY other time I've heard this kind of growl is during a cat fight.Which they are not doing.They both get fixed on Sept. 27--he is 16 weeks old and she is 12 weeks old.He does NOT try and mate with her.
Thanks for the advice.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Long as though its just a growl and they are not fighting I think they are just fine.

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gardenandcats

Long as though its just a growl and they are not fighting I think they are just fine.
I agree, maybe that's just how he growls. I wouldn't worry about it unless he becomes aggressive.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When your kitten growls, he's telling you (or someone) that he means business. If the growl fails, he escalates to the hiss. If you hear him hiss, back off and let him calm down. A spit may follow the hiss, which is time to retreat. Growl, then hiss, then spit. If he is only growling, he has only reached stage one and not to worry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

When your kitten growls, he's telling you (or someone) that he means business. If the growl fails, he escalates to the hiss. If you hear him hiss, back off and let him calm down. A spit may follow the hiss, which is time to retreat. Growl, then hiss, then spit. If he is only growling, he has only reached stage one and not to worry.
He's not growling at me....it's the new kitten he is.It isn't a mean growl so much, as it's a I wanna play NOW ......but don't know how to play.