Allergy-free cats?

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't like it. Companies should not be producing cats to make money off of them. It just sounds ethically wrong (like a mill). As far as I know they are not a recognized breed. There are many breeds that might be considered hypoallergenic but not to the degree where it is consistant. This sounds like it was started to be a moneymaking scheme.

Also "ordering" a cat sounds wrong too. What about screening? Granted at $4,000 a piece most likely they will be serious owners but you never know.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't see the video from my pc; but as far as their claim - IMO its hogwash!

There really is NO cat that is totally allergy free for people. People are either allergic to the saliva or to the dander. I hate when people claim "hypoallergenic" because thats not true. And any cat that has fur will produce dander. Just that some shed a lot less. Rexes shed little and they say that siberians are good too.

But even the sphynx that has no hair could cause an allergic reaction if you are allergic to saliva since the cat still washes its self.

My advice to those with allergies is to wipe down the cat daily with DISTILLED water - it really helps to reduce the allergens.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's keep in mind what "hypoallergenic" means. Hypo is the latin word for "less". So the meaning of this word is less allergenic.
When used in the context of describing a cat or any other animal, it means that the animal has been shown to produce less allergic reactions in people who normally react adversely to the presence of the animal or exposure to it's dander/fur.
People who think hypoallergenic means "allergy proof" are just incorrect.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Problem is that most people ASSUME it means allergy-free; that's why I don't like using the term and prefer to say "you MAY be able to tolerate....as they shed a lot less, but no guarentee you can live with them"

Too many breeders promote their cats to be "allergy-free" when they really are not.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They actually address that in the video. They say if you are severely allergic, then you will likely still be allergic to these cats. They have developed a test for a protien in the saliva to check that their cats are free from this particular protein. I guess part of their cost is that they send you this allergy test to see if you are allergic to the specific protien these cats are free of. They say it is one strain of many people can be allergic too but it was one of the most common.

So that summarizes the video.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As an afterthought, I think these people are on to something, not the cat but the test. If this is a test you can do in the home then why not buy a couple to test yourself and maybe a purebreed that is considered hypoallergenic, and test that specific cat. Why make an all new breed? The test they have developed could be very useful...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemybabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SolarityBengals

As an afterthought, I think these people are on to something, not the cat but the test. If this is a test you can do in the home then why not buy a couple to test yourself and maybe a purebreed that is considered hypoallergenic, and test that specific cat. Why make an all new breed? The test they have developed could be very useful...
Good point!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And most people that are somewhat allergic, CAN tolerate one of the breeds like rexes/sphynx. But that means ONE cat in the house, not a lot. And they would have to not let the cat sleep with them and probably wiping them with distilled water will help.

Wouldn't allergy shots be less costly?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't watch the video, but if I remember correctly from other research I had done on the topic, one company at least was planning on working this technique of removing the allergen into already existing breeds, not creating a new one. Still though, I don't know if this is ever really going to work. And at the price, it isn't really accessible to the masses. Its just not practical, especially when with a little searching it might be possible for one to find a cat that doesn't trigger their allergies. I know that I'm horribly allergic to most cats, but not Birmans.

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat is the closest thing to a hypoallergenic cat I've ever encountered. She was a stray, so I don't believe she has a fancy petigree - just a "domestic long hair." Many of my friends and relatives who are highly allergic to cats (including me) have absolutely no reaction to her, even when she gets up close and rubs her face in theirs. It is very strange.

Having lived outdoors and still goes outside daily, she's never had a flea or earmites.

Her fur is very fine and soft - almost like an angora rabbit. She also only noticably sheds in the spring, and doesn't leave fur behind where she sleeps - except in the spring when she is losing her winter coat.

Actually she is darn near purrfect! Very affectionate, never has a potty accident, doesn't claw the furniture..........I'm very lucky to have her! But what is she? She was spayed before she came to live with us, so can't produce babies.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looks a little like a Turkish Angora and the description of the fur might be that way too. So its possible it may be in the backgound.

lundberg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The protein that causes cat allergies when people are not allergic to dogs and other animals is a small sticky substance called Fel d1. This particular allergen is created only in the salivary, sebaceous, and anal glands.

The allergen is exceptionally small and very sticky. Reducing levels on fur require soaps or destabilization using buffered borate shampoo. Even then, studies show normal levels on the skin and fur two days later.

Anecdotal evidence and some small studies show that Fel d1 allergen levels vary by breed. The Rex, Sphynx, Siberian and Bengal Four are all thought to have lower levels of Fel d1.

Two companies are known to be working on fully removing the allergen:

Felix Pets uses DNA manipulation to remove the gene producing Fel d1. The cloned kitten produces none of the allergen.

Allerca uses DNA identification breed cats that naturally produce no Fel d1 allergen. This is little more than selective breeding.

Why care? Kittens have very little Fel d1, and people buy a little kitten and find out later they are allergic to it. This is very often cited as a reason for cats dropped off at shelters.

Tom Lundberg

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think some people can actually just get rid of their allergies by sucking it up and dealing with them for a little while. I know I was a little allergic to cats when I was younger (if I rubbed my eyes after touching a cat they'd get pretty swollen, red and itchy. or I'd get puffy like crazy just from a slight scratch). BUT, this only started after not having a cat for a while (used to have a cat when I was really young and had no issues). A few years ago my GF moved in with her cat, and while at first I showed a mild allergic reaction (sniffles, sneezing, puffy scratches), after a month or two, the symptoms just vanished completely. And it's not just her cat now, I can be in a room with 30 cats, have them climbing on me, nibbling my fingers, scratching me, and I'll be completely fine, the scratches don't even puff up. Even more bizzarre is my seasonal allergies are gone (used to have horrible ragweed allergy, insanely itchy roof of mouth, sneezing, watery eyes, stuffed nose, etc). I told my mom, and she said she was the same way, that she had horrible allergies for a little while when the new neighbors moved in and they had a cat that roamed around out doors, and then after a month or two they were gone and she was fine.