Cool diagram of the teeth...

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL. I remember when Smeagols teeth were like that. It took him a while for them to come out, too. He looked rather scary, as well!! lol

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

I thought this was interesting- Maui has lost a few more teeth than I thought!

I also noticed tonight he has 2 sets of canines on the top
He looks scary!

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/clientED/a.../cat_teeth.jpg
Did it look a little something like this:

I saw this the other day in Sabina's mouth & I freaked! I was picturing some huge dental bill. I told the director of the shelter I volunteer with what I found, and she said, "Oh, is Sabina five months already?"
So I guess it's normal for a five month old kitten! Whew!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup- his teeth do look like that, except they are both long. I think they'll probably fall out soon since the new ones look close to be fully grown. I'll have to take a pic- never thought of that!!!!!

The only reason I wasn't freaking out is because last week I happened to read a post on here where someone mentioned their cat had both 'fangs' at the same time, otherwise I probably would've had the same reaction as you!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Ginger's new set of canines (that's weird, a feline having canines!) grew in, I freaked, took her to the vet, and paid to have them removed. I was terrified that they wouldn't fall out on their own and that her permanent bite would be messed up!

So are you guys saying that two sets of fangs is completely normal and that they WILL fall out on their own??

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phantom has two sets on the bottom! I think its so cute cause the new ones are still so tiny!!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

When Ginger's new set of canines (that's weird, a feline having canines!) grew in, I freaked, took her to the vet, and paid to have them removed. I was terrified that they wouldn't fall out on their own and that her permanent bite would be messed up!

So are you guys saying that two sets of fangs is completely normal and that they WILL fall out on their own??
Yes, that is what I've been told. I hope your vet didn't take you for a little ride there

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

Yes, that is what I've been told. I hope your vet didn't take you for a little ride there
Actually, I changed vets after the procedeure - the baby teeth shattered when the vet tried to remove them, and instead of taking all the pieces out, they left pieces of tooth in Ginger's gums!

So I paid for her to be anesthetised, dental extraction that didn't work, then the next vet I went to said she had bad gingivitus - at 6 months old, I don't THINK so!! - and wanted to charge me $340 for anesthetised dental cleaning.

So now I'm on my third vet in a year. So far so good. Ferris still has juyst baby teeth, so I guess we'll see what happens with him!

shambelle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a great diagram.

Teddy has no incisors (he's 9); PJ has all of hers (she's 12ish).

I've seen lots of cats without incisors. Why do they fall out?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I can CONFIRM their teeth DO fall out when they grow in next to each other like in the picture.

I was babysitting today and we were sitting on the floor playing- I felt something hard, picked it up and realized it was Maui's tooth! DANG! I feel lucky to have found it because I wasn't even looking at the floor- I just touched something hard and picked it up. I checked and he only lost the one so far, so there should be another one shortly!