My mom's kitten Buddy and my brother's kitten Simba....

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, when I first checked their gender, they looked like a boy. Now, they have what appear to be milk ducts. Sunshine has them too because she's a female. Now, only FEMALES cats get these! And, I was told these are the markings:

Female: Upside down exclamation point
Male: ":" those are the markings, except without the " marks. LOL

Anyways, Buddy and Simba have only the rectal opening, and ONE other opening like a female. In a male, I was told you don't count the rectal opening. Are Buddy and Simba females?????

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sunshine'sKid

Ok, when I first checked their gender, they looked like a boy. Now, they have what appear to be milk ducts. Sunshine has them too because she's a female. Now, only FEMALES cats get these! And, I was told these are the markings:

Female: Upside down exclamation point
Male: ":" those are the markings, except without the " marks. LOL

Anyways, Buddy and Simba have only the rectal opening, and ONE other opening like a female. In a male, I was told you don't count the rectal opening. Are Buddy and Simba females?????
So do you know what colors the parents are? It's MOST likely that they are boys, due to genetics, and I can tell you, having named a kitten D'Artagnan and finding out at 8 weeks that "he" was "Duchess" instead...it's tough to tell.

But I think you might be incorrect about the nipples. I think it's like in humans - they just do different functions.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can't remember who the parents where since I got it from my friend (well, who USED to be my friend). I think they *MIGHT* have had some calico in them because of Sunshine being a calico.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sunshine'sKid

I can't remember who the parents where since I got it from my friend (well, who USED to be my friend). I think they *MIGHT* have had some calico in them because of Sunshine being a calico.
If Sunshine is their sister, then I am guessing they are boys. It's been a long time since genetics class, LOL, and cats' genetics are quite unusual - at least color genetics. See, it's carried on the X gene. So females have 2 copies of 'color,' because they're XX, and males only have one, because they are XY. (White is a completely different situation). So that's why calicos are girls - because they have one black gene and one orange gene. (Normal) Males can only have one color gene so they are either orange or black, but not a combination.

If the mother of the kits was a calico and the father orange, there could be orange girls, but you see, they are more unusual than orange boys. Hope that's not too simplistic or too confusing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunshine'skid

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanx for the info.
I was given a link on another cat forum and turns out they are both males. Sunshine is the sis of Simba, but the cousin to Buddy (same with Simba and Buddy-cousins LOL).

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten also that I was SURE was a girl...now at 7 weeks, I am not so sure. She LOOKS like a girl but also seems to have a little 'bump' where her second (lower) opening is so now I am thinking that she might be a 'he'....s/he is grey/black striped with white face and legs.
I cannot post a pic at this time because I am having computer problems.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a boy to me.
S/he is due for shots next week I would guess, so the vet should be able to help you tell!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you basically feel them up by just running your hand over them back there, you can feel a bump meaning it is a male. no bump would be a female. When they get a little bigger, you can see when a male is a male. I never understood how people have so much trouble determining if it is a male or a female. It always seemed really obvious to me, even very very young kittens.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never understood how people have so much trouble determining if it is a male or a female. It always seemed really obvious to me, even very very young kittens.
I've heard of breeders being wrong about the sex of a kitten.Sometimes boys "bumps" don't both descend and can appear to be a she.
Here is a web site that may help
http://www.vetinfo.com/csexcat.html
Here is another web site with pics
http://www.catdocmaine.com/kittengender.html

Girl kitten

Boy kitten

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Compare them to the mama. Boys "holes" are farther apart and girls "holes" are closer together. I was able to tell the sex of my kittens when they were born but that is only because one of my other cats had kittens before so I remembered from them.

What Kluchetta was saying earlier is true. To try and make it simpler to understand:

Any cat with two or more colors(not including white) is most likely a female and if it is a male it is probably sterile. For example: Torties are ALWAYS females(unless, like I said, the male is sterile). So, if your cat is orange and white, it's probably male, however, if it is orange, white, and black, it is probably a female.

I don't know if that helps any, but I hope it does.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I know, I have an orange tabby that is a female. I'm just saying that, according to genetics, that's how it is. It is not uncommon to have a single-colored female, but it is EXTREMELY uncommon to have a multi-colored male.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is gonna sound icky but you could take pics of the kittens "backsides" a post them and I am 100% that someone here will be able to sex the kittens for you.

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would post some backside pics but our computer decided to get all stupid and will not 'see' the USB ports anymore! It was doing all sorts of stuff like knocking us off line whenever it felt like it, etc...so we took it in and even they computer guy couldn't figure out WHY it will not see all of the USB ports...
But from what everyone is saying, I am figuring that "Rosie" is not Rosie..more like a Robert! But what the heck, she knows the name Rosie so we will just keep calling her/him that!
They are 7 weeks today and I am dying to post some new pics!! They are all doing so well, eating, drinking and using the litterbox just fine.
Right now though, my mom cat is in heat again. She doesn't cry at all but rolls around on the floor constantly, and has even offered up her hind end to our dog!

She is closed in a bedroom, so there is no worry that she will get out, and we are having her spayed in Oct.

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mowsluver

But from what everyone is saying, I am figuring that "Rosie" is not Rosie..more like a Robert! But what the heck, she knows the name Rosie so we will just keep calling her/him that!
They are 7 weeks today and I am dying to post some new pics!! They are all doing so well, eating, drinking and using the litterbox just fine.
Right now though, my mom cat is in heat again. She doesn't cry at all but rolls around on the floor constantly, and has even offered up her hind end to our dog!

She is closed in a bedroom, so there is no worry that she will get out, and we are having her spayed in Oct.
LOL!!! That's funny. It's amazing how funny females act when they are in heat. I got my female spayed a couple weeks ago and, although I am happy she won't get pregnant again, I do kind of miss the monthly "shows" we got. She's already a crazy cat, but when she was in heat she just rolled all over the floor like crazy! It was SO funny!

Also, we got our first cat and were told it was a boy and named it Luna only to later find out it was a boy(he could only hide the evidence so long,
LOL!) We kept his name too because he had already learned it.

mowsluver

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we are still calling the little guy/girl Rosie...when we say her name she knows it so what the heck!

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Now the fun part will be trying to always say "he" when you are talking about them. My cat had 4 kittens about 6 months ago and I thought that the boy was a girl and the girls were boys so I contantly referred to them as such. Meanwhile, about 2 weeks later I realized that I had it backwards. We just gave away our last 2 female kittens(they were almost 6 months old) and I was stilling saying "he" when talking about them. How bad is that!?! LOL!

Anyways, good luck with your boys. Oh, by the way, if you have not neutered them already then I would recommend getting them neutered by the time they are 4 months old because my boy started spraying when he was about 5 months old and believe me, you don't want that!