What's the earliest age for spaying?

minniemoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Obviously being new to Kitten ownership, I'm unsure as to what is a suitable age for spaying my kitten. She's 10 weeks old but would like to know when is the best time to have her done please?
Thanks

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had Ginger done at 16 weeks. Check with the vet, but generally 4 months or 4 pounds is about right.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are varying opinions on this but my vet tells me that 4-6 months of age is appropriate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

minniemoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww thanks for the info

I'll give the vets a ring tomorrow as I need to book her in for a health check and find out about preventative flea treatments/ injections etc.
My friend tells me Poppy won't be able to go out until she's spayed, I take it this is correct? Not that I'd let her out yet at the moment anyway. Arghh this is all so new to me

Yep I definately think a call to the vet is needed

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by minniemoo

My friend tells me Poppy won't be able to go out until she's spayed, I take it this is correct?
She is very right, you don't want to let your kitten outside until she has been spayed...you wouldn't want an accident, and they can get pregnant very young.

There are so many things to learn about a new kitten, but aren't they so much fun!!

minniemoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They certainly are!

I can't take my eyes off her, She's so adorable.

malikitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
4lbs? hmm if you are in the united states you can find vets that will spay at 2lbs, kirra was done when she made 2lbs, did great, and now that she is 4months its nice not to have to worry about when she will start meowing, she was done last month.

minniemoo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi TNR1 and thanks for the link!
It proved very interesting reading. The report seems to suggest that younger cats are no more at risk than cats in the 7mth range, and probably have a faster recovery rate. It'll be a few weeks yet before I can have her done, but will ensure to keep her indoors until such a time as i feel ready to get her neutered. I'd say she's not even a couple of pounds in weight at the moment..poor little thing. Thanks loads for the advice

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As you're in the UK, unless you have an extremely progressive vet, it is very unlikely that you will be able to get an early spay done. Most vets I have found won't do them until 6 months. I've not been able to find any info about early neuter/spay availability in the UK. (If anyone knows different, I would be interested to hear!)

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Molly was spayed before she was 4 months old, due to going into heat very early!

I know that my vet will spay and neuter early as I have met the very young kittens before their surgery - can't remember their exact age as I was worried about my kitty and their visit!

deni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
4-6 months is the best age, I would suggest nearer 6. Please however, do not let her out until she has had her vaccinations.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My shelter spays at 2 lbs. It's state law that no animal can be adopted out (in CA) w/o being speutered, so we do it ASAP!

There are some interesting studies about early spay/neuter. I am an adovocate. I know it can be controversial though.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definately do NOT wait until 6 months. If your vet says that then please find a new vet, although unfortunately some other countries won't do it before 6 months. It can and should be done much earlier as 6 months can mean a pregnant cat. It is a shame that with the huge overpopulation problems that their are still vets out there that insist on waiting all the way until 6 months old. I neutered my boy at 8 weeks and I just took a whole litter of 10 week olds to be done. They are fine, they do much better when done young and it is better to spay BEFORE the first heat cycle and by 6 months, they may very well have gone into heat already.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Deni

4-6 months is the best age, I would suggest nearer 6. Please however, do not let her out until she has had her vaccinations.
Just curious as to why you think it is best to wait until 6 months? Is there are particular reason? I would hope that you also mean "please however do not let her out until she has had her vaccinations AND been spayed." Obviously you wouldn't want to let an unspayed 5-6 month old female outside.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jen, the OP is from the UK where things are done slightly differently. Not all vets will do early spay and neuter.

I don't know about all vets, but as I mentioned in my post, my vets will spay very young kittens. I think it all depends on the vet and the area.