fleas,fleas, and more fleas

neessee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had asked a question earlier about taking care of my 2 week old kittens,but I forgot to ask if a flea collar on the mother will hurt the babies.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by neessee

I had asked a question earlier about taking care of my 2 week old kittens,but I forgot to ask if a flea collar on the mother will hurt the babies.
Flea colllars are not a good way to treat fleas....what I would do is talk to you vet about getting a spot treatment such as Advantage or Frontline. Explain to your vet that she is nursing kittens.

Katie

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took my mama cat to the vet after she gave birth and the vet found fleas on mama and babies. He told me to put advantage on the mama cat and that it would slowly spread to the kittens and not harm them. I did that and it worked so maybe you should try that too, but talk to your vet first because your kittens are older and crawl around more so they may lick it or get it in their eyes and that could harm them.

I also(with the vet's OK) gave the mama a pill called Johnson's 4 fleas. It is the same a Capstar, just a European type(I got it on the internet). The pills kills all the adult fleas in one day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neessee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Katie,

Thank you again for your help. On my way to the store for some dawn and a lice comb! Never thought i'd use those two words together!

neessee and olive and babies

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

neessee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tortie baby,

Thanks so very much for the advice, i'll give it a try.

neessee olive(mamma) and the babies

tortiebaby

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No problemo. I know how you feel because I went through the same thing. It's really scary to have flease on kittens that young.