New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How long?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
How long of a time can Reilly be away from the kittens? She will go in and nurse them for about 30-45 mins and come out in the living room for about 30-45 mins. Is this too long of a time?
I don't know why but it seems like other females I've had in the past spent more time in with the kittens... should I be worried?
post #2 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256 View Post
How long of a time can Reilly be away from the kittens? She will go in and nurse them for about 30-45 mins and come out in the living room for about 30-45 mins. Is this too long of a time?
I don't know why but it seems like other females I've had in the past spent more time in with the kittens... should I be worried?
How old are her kittens again? Does she have free access of your house?

Katie
post #3 of 12
Yeah, how old are the kittens??? Mine will be 3 weeks old tomorrow and the mama usually goes in and lays with them for about and hour and then lays around the house for a couple hours. I was worried about it at first, but the kittens seem to be doing fine and growing normally and very rarely cry so obviously they are fine.

Are the kittens crying??If so then they probably are not getting fed and cleaned enough.
post #4 of 12
Thread Starter 
They are 2 days old now. She has free roam of the house.
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256 View Post
They are 2 days old now. She has free roam of the house.
I always confine my fosters so that they are with their kittens 24/7 until the kittens are a bit older. That doesn't mean that the moms lay in the box with the kittens at all times...but they are certainly within distance from the kittens. Do you hear the kittens cry for her?? Is the place where the kittens are sufficiently warm?

Katie
post #6 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1 View Post
I always confine my fosters so that they are with their kittens 24/7 until the kittens are a bit older. That doesn't mean that the moms lay in the box with the kittens at all times...but they are certainly within distance from the kittens. Do you hear the kittens cry for her?? Is the place where the kittens are sufficiently warm?

Katie
The kittens usually don't make a peep until she jumps in the box with them or when I touch them to make sure they're ok (I'm like a new mother,constantly checking if they're breathing )
The kittens are in a HUGE Rubbermaid Box in the bottom corner of my closet. When we leave during the day I close the bedroom doors and leave the ceiling fan on so it's not too cold but not too hot
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256 View Post
The kittens usually don't make a peep until she jumps in the box with them or when I touch them to make sure they're ok (I'm like a new mother,constantly checking if they're breathing )
The kittens are in a HUGE Rubbermaid Box in the bottom corner of my closet. When we leave during the day I close the bedroom doors and leave the ceiling fan on so it's not too cold but not too hot
Well..if she is only leaving them to spend time with you when you are home...I think that is ok. Mom's do need a break.....I would buy a scale and weigh your kittens weekly just to be sure they are gaining weight appropriately.

Katie
post #8 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1 View Post
Well..if she is only leaving them to spend time with you when you are home...I think that is ok. Mom's do need a break.....I would buy a scale and weigh your kittens weekly just to be sure they are gaining weight appropriately.

Katie
Where and what kind of scale do I need?
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieDarlin256 View Post
Where and what kind of scale do I need?
A kitchen scale will work.

Katie
post #10 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNR1 View Post
A kitchen scale will work.

Katie
Ok great.. thank you!
post #11 of 12
Dixie, Our Reilly baby is probably just missin' the comforts of dear old meowmy herself! And I don't know about her, but LuckyGirl is too nosy to not be in the other rooms. If we close our bedroom door cause it's a little messy, she'll be at the door, trying to peek under it to see if anyone's in there with out her! Women! ha!
post #12 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl View Post
Dixie, Our Reilly baby is probably just missin' the comforts of dear old meowmy herself! And I don't know about her, but LuckyGirl is too nosy to not be in the other rooms. If we close our bedroom door cause it's a little messy, she'll be at the door, trying to peek under it to see if anyone's in there with out her! Women! ha!

That's Reilly all right! She meows at me when she's going into the bedroom with the babies like she wants me to follow her. And I do! She will jump in the box and look at me like "look at how good I'm doing"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pregnant Cats and Kitten Care