Wet Food, Dry food, short absences

bluemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My hubby and I have a BSH kitten (~3 months) who is currently on Innova EVO and Felidae canned, and a small portion of Nutro that we got from the breeder as free-ranged dry.

We bought a bag of Innova EVO kibble as well to switch him over after lurking here to read about kitten/cat foods.

Here's a concern we have: we go "weekend camping" in the summertime where we are away from Friday evening to Sunday morning every few weekends. Will kitty be OK with a water dish + reservoir and a large bowl of Innova kibble ? Right now I have mixed in some kibble into his wet to try to get him to eat it. He eats some Nutro kibble mixed into his wet food, but shuns the bowl of Nutro kibble nearby --- I do not think I have seen him try it once. I'm hoping he will like Innova better and will try him on a day of it without wet food to see if he will eat it.

The other alternative is boarding him at our cats-only vet which would cost about $45 for the time we would be away.

What do you think?

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
For a kitten so young I think I would board him. $45 doesn't sound so bad for a weekend and then you wouldn't have to worry about anything happening to your little guy while you are trying to enjoy yourself.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tru

For a kitten so young I think I would board him. $45 doesn't sound so bad for a weekend and then you wouldn't have to worry about anything happening to your little guy while you are trying to enjoy yourself.
My thought is just that ....

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think he'll be fine. You'll barely be away one day. I wouldn't disrupt the cat's environment and force him to go someplace he's going to dislike when it's just one day.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it would be best to leave him at home - you'll only be gone just a bit over a day. IMO that's better than taking him to strangers - cats usually don't like change and if they get too stressed it can cause URI's etc.

The other option is to get him a lovely little playmate!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what my husband says!

Thank you for the advice, we will try leaving him alone for our next short trip and try to get someone to come out and see him during the Saturday -- we live far out from town so it's a bit of an inconvenience for others.

The boarding part is not expensive -- $15 a day -- but we'd be paying $45 essentially for 1 full day away because we'd leave Friday evening (still counts as 1 day) and pick him up Sunday morning -- feels a bit like a rip! If we couldn't find a sitter for extended trips we would definitely board him at our vets, they are lovely people.