Language Learning books

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since Lee is going to be living in Germany for a year I really want him to learn enough German to get by (hopefully more). I want to learn it with him. So does anyone have any books with CD's they recommend to help him learn. Even if its from a series with a lot of languages. Has anyone taught themselves a language? He leaves November 4 so he has enough time to get enough down to help him get along well enough for a while.

sar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a Routledge set that's pretty good!
I don't know if they do a German one, but I would assume so!

It really does help me when I don't have anyone to speak Gujarati with!

Good luck with it, I'm sure you'll both learn quicker than you think as you can practice at home!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.rosettastone.com/en

i used this for indo(it helped) & madarin( i still suck big time) they have lots of different ones along with german, also if you check amazon i am sure you will find
lots of books for basic german for travellers.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Why don't you PM jcat. She's an American living in Germany, and teaches German to English translation. I know that's the opposite direction, but I bet she'll have some ideas for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Why don't you PM jcat. She's an American living in Germany, and teaches German to English translation. I know that's the opposite direction, but I bet she'll have some ideas for you.
That is a really great idea. I didn't even think of her. I thought about seeing what Fran had to say since she has learned german! Thanks!!