My cat is puking up worms!

paul&victoria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Everytime my cat eats, she pukes it up, and tonight I found a worm in her puke. I took her to the vet, yesterday, before the puking had even started, and he checked her because she had been pooping, just a little bit, and didnt even know she was doing it, and he checked her for worms, through a fecal exam, but said she didnt have any worms in her feces. she got her first shots and everything, and I assumed that was why she may be puking so much, but like i said there was a worm in her puke! does anyone know why this could be? im going to call the vet tomorrow!!!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh heck
.............well first of all welcome to TCS, its great here, and you will see theres loads of good advice, support and friendship.

Oh what a question to start with eh !!!

umm............well as you say you need to get to the vets, but to help with IDing the darn thing........what size and colour is it ? .....
...do you think she might have eaten it ? I´ve never had this prob, but I am sure our members will help you on this one !!
She will be fine and the vet will defo help you if it is something more serious.

Once things are settled for you and your kitty, do post us a photo

We love to see new kitties !!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

paul&victoria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The worm is kina long, like an inch! and its white and very skinny! not something ive ever seen before, my other two kitties have had worms but they were tape worms from fleas, this worm is still alive, so i dont think its something she has eaten. And im not sure what else would cause her to puke everytime she eats! But she does! Every time!

Thanks for reposting!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like roundworms. They puke them up. She'll need meds.. save the worm and bring it to the vet.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Was she wormed yesterday?If so, that is why she puked it up.If not, then I would take it to the Vet and get some wormer for her.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually when they puke up worms its round worms.Call your vet back and tell even though the fecal test showed no worms. The cat definately has worms because she vomited and it had a worm in it. He will probably just tell you to stop by and pick up the med for round worms.

paul&victoria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i called the vet this morning and they just gave me hairball med and wormer, they said it was tape worms, however they did not look at the worm. She Also has earmites, we found her on the side of the road about 2 weeks ago so I guess that I am lucky that it is all she has, she is very skinny from the worms i guess and from not being fed very well. I am trying to get her well. She is now cat number 3 lets just hope she gets better! Thanks for all your help!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you tell them she threw up the worm? Cats dont usually throw up tapeworms
They come out the other end. Well in any case I hope she gets better!

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Make sure the med takes round worms also since I am 100% sure - from your description - that it is a round worm. Out door cats allways gets them and when they have them you will see them when they vomit. Kittens is extra sensetive and they get them from the mothers milk. It can cause the cat to vomit and often they also fart and get a slight diarrhoea from it but it depends how infected they are. If they are really infected you can see the third eye-lid.
It is the easiest worm to get rid of and if she is young you don't have to give her such a tough dewormer since the fecal test didn't show any tape worms.
Here is good link with a picture of a round worm.
http://www.sva.se/static/493.html
The text is in Swedish though but the picture is typical.
Don't look at it if you have a weak stomach.

paul&victoria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for the link, after seeing that it is round worms and not tape worms. I told the vet when I called that she had threw it up, and I even kept the worm, but they didnt want to see it. So I dunno. But I am calling them this morning to make sure that the meds that they gave me will fix round worms as well. Thanks again!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by paul&victoria

thank you for the link, after seeing that it is round worms and not tape worms. I told the vet when I called that she had threw it up, and I even kept the worm, but they didnt want to see it. So I dunno. But I am calling them this morning to make sure that the meds that they gave me will fix round worms as well. Thanks again!
I agree that it sounds like round worm. I'd be concerned if the vet gave you tapeworm medication for this unless you didn't explain that the worm was vomited. If you did explain it and he still have you tapeworm meds, I'd be looking for a new vet if I were you.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are round worms that skinny? Could it be whipworm or heartworms?

I'm very surprised that the vet didn't even want to see it to give a proper diagnosis - I think I'd switch vets. That's not right IMO.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i would definately look for a new vet, i think thats very irresponsible of him to prescribe a med for one kind of worm and not even look at it and make sure hes treating for the right one. if not, you will still have the problem and your kitty could get sick and dehydrated and stuff. im surprised he wouldnt look at it, bad vet

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Jaycee.. I don't think I'd be feeling so strongly about trusting my furbabies to a vet that wouldn't even look at the worm.. That would bother me........

Heather

paul&victoria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
okay, so now, she seems to be getting worse. She wont hardly eat at all still pukin up what VERY LITTLE she does eat! The sad thing is about my small town is that its the only vet, and the best one for miles.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tapeworm medication is pretty harsh stuff (usually a single dose of a round yellow pill). Hard on the kidneys especially if the cat's dehydrated (any harsh medicine is).

Is there a humane society or shelter nearby with a clinic? Might try there instead of your vet.

paul&victoria

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The meds that I got for the worms were in a syrienge (im sure i didnt spell that right) it was yellow medicne, and i gave it to her twice.
not sure if it was for both, but i think prolly just tape worms, however she hadnt threw up last night, at all before i left for work, and shes eating a little better, but wont take her hairball meds. Thanks for all your help!