Is it possible to have flea poop but no fleas!?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When we were at the vets on Tuesday she found flea dirt on the kittens & said they had fleas. I'm no expert but to me there is not very much- I've seen much worse on pretty much any other cat that's had it.

We haven't been bitten by fleas, I haven't seen fleas on the carpet or floor (they're in the bathroom & we have white floor mats), and Maui scratches more than they do (I know he doesn't have them!) it's just for comparison

I combed them tonight and didn't find very much. I rinsed in a white bowl with Dawn dish soap & water and wiped off on a junky white towel. I found tiny tiny little black pieces of whatever and a few bigger pieces but nothing I thought looked like an actual flea. I mean they're pretty distinct compared to the dirt, right?! I think some of what I combed up may have been old dried blood because the water turned slightly brownish/reddish- nothing crazy and some would wipe off of the comb, but it was all old looking- rusty kinda.

Is it possible they had fleas and for whatever reason they don't now? They just have the left over tell-tale signs?

I assume I just continue grooming them until I don't see anything- how long do I have to do that before it's finally ok for me to let them near Maui?

Hopefully this wasn't the longest way ever to ask a question that has a very simple answer!

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be kinda a pain, but did you consider bathing the cats and seeing if the specks come back? Just an idea...cause kittens at that age(I think you said 6 weeks in the other thread)who havent had a momma figure to teach them probably dont bathe themselves all that good.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fleas, for the most part, jump on the cat, get their lunch and jump off to procreate. You may not see many actually on them but it sounds as though you may have a number of those nasty critters in your carpeting, upholstery, etc.

If there is flea dirt, there are likely fleas. As the old saying goes, Where there's smoke, there's fire.

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with Yosemite. My neighbors little 5 week old kitten has flea dirt and we didnt see any fleas the first day or two so we didnt think he had fleas, but when we really took the time to sit there and fully comb him, there were a few fleas. Those suckers are really good at hiding and burrying themselves in the cat or carpet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I haven't bathed them yet. I haven't really decided if I'm going to give them a bath. As Yosemite said in another thread and it was said here- they jump off of the cat so the chances are good they would just hop back on when they're hungry and they probably wouldn't even be on them while I bathed them. Not to mention I'm nervous to give them a bath!!

They've been inside our house for about a week now, but in the bathroom. Do you think I would have noticed a flea problem by now??

Also- when I combed them I didn't find anything

I'm perplexed!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Treat your carpets, wash the bath mats, and treat the kitties. Its better to be safe and flea free than sorry and full of those buggers! Don't forget to cut up a flea collar and put it in the vacuum bag!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I checked them again this morning and didn't see any flea dirt. I don't know if there was enough time between last night and this morning for any to accumulate though.

Here's my plan- tell me what you think....

I am going to continue combing them every night & rinsing in Dawn dish soap & water. I'll vacuum with the flea collar in the bag (thanks for that- I NEVER would have thought of it!!). I'll take all of their blankies & the bath mats out of the bathroom tonight and wash it tomorrow (my washer & dryer isn't at our house yet!) and I'll give them brand new stuff to cuddle. I plan on doing this until probably a week has gone by without finding any flea dirt.

Think that will be okay?

What do you recommend I treat the carpets with?

Also- one last question (for now!)- can you see flea eggs?

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I assumed that the eggs were the little black specs you may be calling flea dirt. I could be wrond though.

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmm could be! There were very, very tiny specs- maybe the poop? Then a little bit bigger pieces, more like a fleck of pepper. When I put those bigger ones into the bowl of water, I could see some color coming from them- like how I was talking before about the possible dried blood? I don't really know how to explain it!

I am getting so antsy to let these babies become full members of our family!! Maui is SO curious about what is in the bathroom & Smokey keeps trying to make a break for it if I leave the door open just a second too long when I'm going in or out!

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Hmmm could be! There were very, very tiny specs- maybe the poop? Then a little bit bigger pieces, more like a fleck of pepper. When I put those bigger ones into the bowl of water, I could see some color coming from them- like how I was talking before about the possible dried blood? I don't really know how to explain it!

I am getting so antsy to let these babies become full members of our family!! Maui is SO curious about what is in the bathroom & Smokey keeps trying to make a break for it if I leave the door open just a second too long when I'm going in or out!
I would go to the vet and get some Revolution or Frontline or some other kind of medication. It may cost a bit of $$$ but to keep your babies flea free its worth it. They make flea powders to treat your carpet but make sure Maui is locked in a room while you are treating the carpet and vacuum that stuff up really well. Like do it 2 or 3 times to be sure and get it all up!!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't get the flea treatments yet- at least not for them because they are only 6 weeks old. Now if you mean like Frontline for carpets (??) I could definetely do that- does that exist??

I have Frontline at the vet waiting for me if we are still having a problem once they turn 8 weeks old, hopefully we'll be over it ASAP (
)

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the eggs are white and the poop is black. Yeah you cant put any flea meds on kittens that young, they need to be 8 weeks. I think your 'plan' sounds pretty good to me

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is vacuuming the carpet with the collar in the bag enough? Or is there a product I should be sprinkling & vacuuming up?

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You guys were right! When I combed them last night I found 5 fleas between the two of them! I don't know if I feel like this:
or this:
I took everything fabric out of the bathroom. Hopefully this will help because when the fleas jump off they don't really have anywhere to go since it's vinyl flooring.

Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Is vacuuming the carpet with the collar in the bag enough? Or is there a product I should be sprinkling & vacuuming up?
I still am wondering this!

catstercat123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

In response to a few questions: Flea eggs are little whitish/translucent things, look like salt grains; some people have also noted they look like tiny flakes of dandruff. A female flea can lay up to 50 per day, so it's important you clean bedding daily and vacuum daily (or at least every 2 days, since it takes 2 days to 2 weeks for these suckers to hatch).

Flea dirt is little black pepper flakes, but can also be hard little sharp grains, black/brown, not that easily dissolvable.

To clean carpets, either vacuum (daily/every 2 days) on high with a brush tool to dislodge everything sunk deep into the fibers, or you could also rub some salt or food-grade diatomaceous earth (MUST be food-grade) deep into the rug to dry out the fleas, then vacuum a few hours (or up to a day) later.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Good luck!