Uhhhh Ringworm!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One word: Ringworm! UHHH!
So over the weekend, a volunteer and I were at the animal shelter scrubbing down some very sick & abused animals that wound up at the shelter (thankfully they wound up at the shelter, because now they will have food & proper health care as well as a chance to find a good home- they're very adoptable)...well..lets just say they were covered in ringworm...head to paw..not to mention there were collars and chains litterally embeded into the skin around their necks....those poor pups- it was aweful! Thankfully, we got them cleaned up and on the proper meds. However, it seems the other volunteer and I both wound up with ringworm. (kinda stinks because I wore longsleeves and pants , had my hair back and was carefull not to touch any part of my body until I was able to get home and scrub down in the shower.)...well, reguardless, I have 2 spots on my legs, one one near my underarm, two on my stomach ,and one on my chest. I'm not too concerned- i've delt with this 3x before in the past 2 years from working with ringworm animals...so it's not like i'm unfamiliar with it- it's just annoying! and itchy!!!! I'm not mad though- i wound up with it while doing something good to help some innocent pups, so it was worth it. It's just really itchy!!!! Uhhh, I feel like taking sandpaper and exfoliating my entire body with it at the moment.
I called my dermatologist this morning and got a refill on my prescription, so I will be picking that up in a little bit. I gave my friend my dermatologist's number....so she will be going tomorrow to get some medicine too. This is soo not fun! My boyfriend has been calling me "Miss Scratchy" all day long!I'm gonna harm him if he doesn't stop lol.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ugggh, I hate messing with ringworm. My Dr. gave me a prescription cream to put on it because it wouldn't go away (I had a nasty sinus infection at the same time so my immune system wasn't at its peak performance).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Ugggh, I hate messing with ringworm. My Dr. gave me a prescription cream to put on it because it wouldn't go away (I had a nasty sinus infection at the same time so my immune system wasn't at its peak performance).
Yikes! I'm sorry to hear that! Has yours started to clear up any yet??? It can take several weeks (and it gets worse before it gets better- that's actually a sign that it's healing- it just looks bad though
) You can usually start seeing a difference around the 21st day...same goes for animals. My foster kitten, Kenzie has ringworm (i've been treating her since i've had her for it....her's is almost compltely cleared up now and she's been on meds, and i've been super careful with her. The vet said she was no longer contagious at her last visit, so I'm definite I got it over the weekend from bathing those pups. The main thing to be super careful with when you have ringworm is to avoid touching any part on your face or hair- you definitely don't want it in those areas. Mostly though, it's just a nusciance.....it's got more "bark" to it than "bite" i suppose lol...I really hope yours starts to improve soon. Sorry you're not feeling well. Feel better soon!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ahh, well it's a good thing you don't have it now
I hope your sinus infection heals up soon! Feel better!!!! (i've found that vicks vapor rub really works well to open up my sinus passages- I put it on before I take a shower when I'm sick and the steam helps it absorb better
. Maybe that could help you too! Feel better!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I used Lomotrin or OTC fungal creams on my ringworm!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just got back from Walgreens a little while ago with my ringworm medicine. Oh joy! lol....My doctor put me on Mentax...i've used it before with no problems, so it works pretty well for me. Hopefully this will clear up soon- i'm itching to death!!! Uhhh!!!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had ringworm..the whole kitten room at the shelter where I volunteer had ringworm. I picked up one of the kittens and noticed she had rashes on her and they found out it was ringworm. they treated the whole room and they are better now.
AND I hope you get rid of it soon!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope your kitten room clears up all of the ringworm cases soon!I'm sure with all of the love and good care you and the other volunteers are providing them with, it will heal up soon!
(balding is one of the most common signs on felines...scabbing and consistant scratching too). / Thankyou for the well wishes- i'm sitting here forcing myself not to scratch-this sucks lol...hopefully it will clear up soon.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you done anything with light? I understand that sunlight can help eradicate fungus. I've had what I THOUGHT was ringworm that was helped by sunlight exposure.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Have you done anything with light? I understand that sunlight can help eradicate fungus. I've had what I THOUGHT was ringworm that was helped by sunlight exposure.
I've never heard that before! Thanks for the tip, that is very interesting! I personally wear sunscreen every day religiously- My mom had a skin cancer scare a while back (wound up being benign thankfully), but I would never want to chance it. I do spend about 15-20 minutes every day walking to and from classes so I am in the sun a bit (but always with sunscreen on)....maybe that will help a bit?? Most of my spots are in areas that are covered by clothing though, but I guess that's a good thing so I can hide it.
Thankyou for the tip!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear that little Kenzie is getting better, but I am sorry you got ringworm. You know, I've had ringworm in my house now for 30 days...finally done w/ treatments...but I never got it! Twitch had ringworm 4 years ago & so did I, but I've never had it since!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I'm glad to hear that little Kenzie is getting better, but I am sorry you got ringworm. You know, I've had ringworm in my house now for 30 days...finally done w/ treatments...but I never got it! Twitch had ringworm 4 years ago & so did I, but I've never had it since!
I'm definitely relieved that little Kenzie is getting better too...She's still quite bald though- the fur is trying to grow back and the scabs are gone now though, so the medicine has definitely helped! Thankfully! Our dog Fosters has adopted Kenzie too- it's adorable!!! He bathes her, kisses her, lays down beside her carrier when she's up, and refuses to leave her side- it's soo sweet!!! He think's Kenzie is his baby!
(she's not contagious now- vet checked her out this week
/ I'm glad to hear the ringworm has cleared up from your house- that is wonderful news!!!./ As far as my ringworm goes- UHHHH I'm miserable- and to make matters worse, last night I got bit by mesquitos.... I'm super allergic to mesquito bites (we're talking, when I get bit, I get huge welts that swell up....the result usually winds up with me having to get a cortozone shot if I don't take bendadryl immidetaly after I'm bitten. )....Well, last night I went to Starbucks with my best friend for about an hour, and it was such a lovely night that we decided to sit outside and drink our drinks.(by the way, the Pumpkin Spice Latte's are back!!!! WOOO HOO!!!!) Well, I thought I would be alright because I had jeans on- boy was I wrong....My left foot is covered in mesquito bits now
So not only do I have ringworm, I also have mesquito bites- and i'm super allergic to them so my bites are completely swollen up. I've been putting medicine on it so hopefully that will help. But in the mean time- I just want someone to invent a "scratching machine" so I can lay in it and have all my itches scratched- my entire body itches!!! UGG!!! This is horrible...I hate mesquitos!!!!
Any suggestions would be very very much welcomed!!! I'm desperate! (and scratchy!)

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
YOU POOR THING!!!! I can't even imagine having that! I have eczema, a skin allergy, and when it acts up (due to dyes, stress, seasons, detergents etc) it gets SO itchy. And I am a scratcher! Hubby will say don't scratch! I tell him "when it's your itch, YOU don't scratch! leave my itch alone!"
Then I get in the shower, with a soft bristled shower brush & go to town!!!
It feels like
! I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

YOU POOR THING!!!! I can't even imagine having that! I have eczema, a skin allergy, and when it acts up (due to dyes, stress, seasons, detergents etc) it gets SO itchy. And I am a scratcher! Hubby will say don't scratch! I tell him "when it's your itch, YOU don't scratch! leave my itch alone!"
Then I get in the shower, with a soft bristled shower brush & go to town!!!
It feels like
! I'm so sorry you have to go through all of this!
I have psorasis (sp?) so i definitely understand the dry itchy skin thing- usually it's not a problem though as long as I moisturize. But oh gosh- I can't stop itching!!!!! My mesquito bites are driving me crazy!!!! I've been rubbing my "benadryl itch stick" on my foot for the past 10 minutes- no relief! The ringworm spots itch too! I'm going crazy- I also got attacked by fire ants on Sunday when Colin & I were in the wal-mart parking lot getting ready to go into the store....it was horrible- those little sucker hurt!!!! Thankfully though, I had some hydracortazine & benadryl with me at the time- so I put it on there and took the benadryl- so It didn't get too bad, but it still swelled up pretty bad. I hate insects!!!!! In the past week i've been attacked by fire ants,and bitten by mesquitos. and now I have ringworm! Not to complaine- but i'm in a perpetual state of itching torment!!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does any have any recommentations as far as itching goes!!!!!! I'm desperate!!!! I've been itching non-stop since my last post
Advice anyone??? The creams are not helping!!!!!!!!!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Does any have any recommentations as far as itching goes!!!!!! I'm desperate!!!! I've been itching non-stop since my last post
Advice anyone??? The creams are not helping!!!!!!!!!
Well, I have heard the meat tenderizer, but haven't tried it. I have horrible exczema and have to take steriods (well, cream) for the itching. It's the only thing that seems to work.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the powdered meat tenderizer...will that work???