Mattress opinions, please!

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello All!

It is time for me to invest in a new mattress and I was just wondering what brands my friends at TCS like. I prefer a mattress to be firm to very firm. I live in the United States if that makes a difference brand-wise. Thanks!
Catfriend.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a Simmons Beautyrest with the individually wrapped coils a couple of years ago, and I absolutely LOVE it.

I got two mattress stores competing with each other for pricing, and got a $1,200 mattress and boxspring set for just $600 brand new, delivered.

Don't settle for the first price no matter where you go - there is a huge mark-up on them and they have the ability to dramatically lower prices to get your business.

Your best bet is to literally go to stores and spend about 10-15 minutes lying down on each one in the type of positions you usually sleep in. Brand will matter less than comfort and support.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a sleep number and it is great ... if the name brand is out of your range I slept on areo and it is similiar( and wayy cheaper)... I inherieted my sleep number from my mom when she got a new sleep nummber

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Don't settle for the first price no matter where you go - there is a huge mark-up on them and they have the ability to dramatically lower prices to get your business.
I can't remember what kind we have, but this is true, you can definitely bargain with them! Ours was listed at $600 and we talked them down to $400.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My dad has one of those jamison pillow top mattresses and he has a bad back and he loves it. I layed on it a few times when my room was too hot when I worked night shift and it is so comfy. I am going to get one when we move for my fullsized, antique cast iron bed. Which I am having painted antique white. Was my grandma's bed.

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I have a pillow top mattress and we love it. The mattress underneath is very firm and the pillow top just gives it that tiny bit of softness. It's SO comfortable!

sophiec

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tavia'smom

My dad has one of those jamison pillow top mattresses and he has a bad back and he loves it. I layed on it a few times when my room was too hot when I worked night shift and it is so comfy. I am going to get one when we move for my fullsized, antique cast iron bed. Which I am having painted antique white. Was my grandma's bed.
Make sure before you buy the mattress set that it will fit on your antique iron bed. I, too, have an antique cast iron bed that my Godmother gave to me when I was a child. It was put away when my sister & I got older and wanted twin beds. Years later, I wanted it back up....so I had it sandblasted & primed (it was white when I was a child)....and I painted it black. I bought a new mattress set for it and discovered that the mattress was too long. My dad ended up cutting the bed rails and welding in a piece of angle iron to lenghten it in order for the mattress set to fit. I learned years later that you can get a mattress custom made to fit.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I miss having a pillow-top mattress. I need a fairly firm mattress, due to an arthritic back and the pillow-tops are SOOO comfortable. On top of that, pillow-tops don't need to be flipped or turned.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SophieC

Make sure before you buy the mattress set that it will fit on your antique iron bed. I, too, have an antique cast iron bed that my Godmother gave to me when I was a child. It was put away when my sister & I got older and wanted twin beds. Years later, I wanted it back up....so I had it sandblasted & primed (it was white when I was a child)....and I painted it black. I bought a new mattress set for it and discovered that the mattress was too long. My dad ended up cutting the bed rails and welding in a piece of angle iron to lenghten it in order for the mattress set to fit. I learned years later that you can get a mattress custom made to fit.
I have actually worried about that too but I guess I could take a tape messure and messure it first. I know we have a newer mattress that got ruined by my ex, on it and it fits but its not a pillow top.