i really need advice please

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
dont know if this is the right place to post but as it seems to grt the most views.here i am.mouse was spayed today,she is fine,very pleased to be home,and we are so pleased she is home and okay,if a bit woozey.the vet receptionist said to keep her and her 8 week old kits seperated,but she is looking for them and they are crying for her,my instints say let them be together,anybody had this experience?

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you put them together they will try to nurse. Think about it - would you want babies nursing off your belly that you have a big incision in?

Please ignore the crying - the babies will be just fine, please let her heal up before you let them be together again.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
aw......how very difficult for you !!

ooohh.........and I am sorry I dont know, but did the vet give a reason why to keep them seperated ? is she still feeding and they were worried about the ´drug ´ being past on ??
I am sure someone will have the answer for you !

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

If you put them together they will try to nurse. Think about it - would you want babies nursing off your belly that you have a big incision in?

Please ignore the crying - the babies will be just fine, please let her heal up before you let them be together again.
Agreed.....I know it's heartwrenching to keep them seperated while mom heals...but it is best for all of them.

Katie

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A couple of questions ... have the kittens begun to receive their vaccines yet? If they have, then do you have or can you acquire a dog crate or large kitty carrier where you can put Mom in and let the babies at least see and be nearby her without being in with her?

If the babies have not begun their vaccines yet, then it is best for them not to be anywhere near Mom due to the possibility she brought home something from the vet's office. Additionally, Momma is recovering from a very painful surgical procedure and as others have mentioned, it wouldn't be kind to her to allow the babies in with her as they may try to nurse and cause her even more discomfort or even possibly chew or pull on her sutures.

I know it is very, very difficult to watch the babies wanting their Mom and Momma needing to see her babies. If babies are getting the shots, you can try to bring them in the room with Mom and put them nearby her but confined away from her.

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not an expert but when our wild mamas was spayed they stayed 48 hours with the vet for aftercontrole and then went straight back to their babies. Both mamas were very happy to see their babies but didn't let them nurse. I keept an eye on them for a couple of hours and it semed alright. After one more day the younger mama continued to nurse her babies and did seem to enjoy it. No signs of pain.
They were not spayed at the same time so there was al the time a mama left to tend to the babies.
this might not be the proper way to do it but I woyld let her see her babies with your super vision if I were you. Maybe put her in a cage over night if it seems necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malena

I am not an expert but when our wild mamas was spayed they stayed 48 hours with the vet for aftercontrole and then went straight back to their babies. Both mamas were very happy to see their babies but didn't let them nurse. I keept an eye on them for a couple of hours and it semed alright. After one more day the younger mama continued to nurse her babies and did seem to enjoy it. No signs of pain.
They were not spayed at the same time so there was al the time a mama left to tend to the babies.
this might not be the proper way to do it but I woyld let her see her babies with your super vision if I were you. Maybe put her in a cage over night if it seems necessary.
thanks for that,i actually rang the vet and asked what i should do,so,first i put georgie-boy in with mom and they were all over each other,but then he tried to nurse but mouse wasnt having any of that(i dont blame her) so we took him out and shes had a half hour and we going to put molly in,supervised,so they can see each other,then going to do the same with minish,i dont have a cage,so this is the best i can offer it certainly beats total seperation.your right this is def the way to do it,
and i guess we will see how things pan out,i just thought it was cruel to seperate completly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shelleybik

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just an update,, mouse nursed molly and minish(seperately) seems georgie-boy is too rough,anyway they have all seen mom and are crashed out in our bedroom,mom is crashed out in the lounge.....a happy ending
ahh.

thanks melana,you said just what the vet said thankyou