Separation anxiety?

michellek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband and I had two cats Lacey 10 and Beemer 3. We have recently separated and I have moved from our home to an apartment. Lacey was my cat prior to the marriage and I have taken her with me. Beemer stayed behind with "Dad", part of the agreement. When I'm home Lacey seems happy. She is eating, using the litter box, purring, looking for me to pet her, and still sleeping with me. When I first arrive home though she is hiding under my bed or in a closet. She used to greet me at the door. I fear that she is spending 12 hours a day under my bed. Is there anything I can do to ease her anxiety? Should I get her a buddy? If so, how old?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there! I would say that she's been through a lot of changes and needs some time to get used to the new apartment and to get over the 'loss' of her friend. I'm no expert, but my instinct would be not to add a new cat into the mix right away, just give her time to feel comfortable in her new home and maybe get her a companion when she is feeling more settled. I would worry that any further sudden changes at this point could trigger further behavioural problems and anxiety.

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
can you take beemer in as well? the cat is probably sad because it was separated from a friend - so it's looking to you for companionship.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Michellek

My husband and I had two cats Lacey 10 and Beemer 3. We have recently separated and I have moved from our home to an apartment. Lacey was my cat prior to the marriage and I have taken her with me. Beemer stayed behind with "Dad", part of the agreement. When I'm home Lacey seems happy. She is eating, using the litter box, purring, looking for me to pet her, and still sleeping with me. When I first arrive home though she is hiding under my bed or in a closet. She used to greet me at the door. I fear that she is spending 12 hours a day under my bed. Is there anything I can do to ease her anxiety? Should I get her a buddy? If so, how old?
Here are some tips to hopefully ease her anxiety. Play some soft classical music when you are gone. Also you may want to buy some Feliway plug-ins to put around your home.

This may be a hard question to ask, but would it be possible to get her a companion? She may be a very social kitty that needs a friend.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michellek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No, it is not possible for me to get Beemer. My husband won't give him up. Yes, I am able to get another companion. I just want to make sure it is the best thing for her. That was my first instinct, but I wasn't sure.