roundworm 1 kitten with 1 cat without

gsxrgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if i'm posting this in the right thread, please let me know if it's not. This is the first time in my life i have had a kitten(i grew up with older cats or dogs) and i'm new to this and so is my husband. My husbands grandpa's wife was outside one day cutting the grass and one of the cats in the area left a baby kitten (about 3 weeks at the time) in the garage.(the mom cat never came back for her) She took it in and starting feeding it and at about 6 weeks old we decided we would take her, since our cat was getting old and our dog is totally attached we figured it would make it easier on him if he had another sister. Anyway she is about 7 weeks old now and when we took her to the vet last week they said she had roundworm, she has had her first dose of the meds and gets her second dose in 2 weeks. In the meantime, the vet told us to keep her out of the other cats litter, at first this was easy put up a gate and she couldn't get in that cats room. But now she has learned to climb the gate. We put cardboard in front of it and that worked for a minute until she figured out she could just jump from the chair to the gate, so we moved the chair, now she figured out she can jump the gate, so we put another gate on top of it and that works, except for one thing......Now the older cat is having probelms getting in to go to the bathroom. We tryed putting the chair there but the kitten just climbs up and trys to jump on to the taller gate and climb......The kitten is locked up when we aren't there, but we can't keep this going on.....Any suggestions on getting her to stop climbing the gate?? Once she is over the roundworm we are hoping to let both cats use the same area for the boxes, so we don't want to totally scare her away from the gate(we have to keep the gate there because of the dog) but we dont know what to do....HELP!!!!!

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i would just treat both cats for roundworms at the same time as is commonly done, that way after the treatment is over, you know for sure they are both worm free. and that way you dont have to worry so much about keeping kitten out of cats litter box.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gsxrgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the dog is going to be treated(as a just in case they like to sniff butt), at the kitten's second dose.....does the cat get treated at the same time then?

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes, definately, thats what i would do. you dont want to keep going round and round (pun not intended) with the same problem

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO if you keep the litter box clean - 2-3 times scooping a day and especially if one cat has pooped, there is no need of separating the cats/litter pan.

You don't want them to find another place to go because you blocked off their pan. My vets have told me that worms are NOT transmitted that quickly unless the poop has been sitting more then 2 days.

And I would not treat cats with no worms just in case - remember its POISON you are using to kill the worms - why give a cat something if its not infected?

gsxrgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FIRST WHAT DOES IMO MEAN??
Our kitten has it's our litter box in a different room outside of the other cat's litter box and as I said before, this is my first time with cats. I was not sure how it was transmitted or anything, i was just told not to have them use the same litterbox. We do clean the litterbox at least twice a day(the older cat won't go in the litter box if there is 1 clump in it-she has two litter boxes for this purpose just for her).
Thanks for the heads up, i didn't know how fast it is transmitted or anything.....

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

And I would not treat cats with no worms just in case - remember its POISON you are using to kill the worms - why give a cat something if its not infected?
so they dont pass it back and forth, and thats the advice i got from 2 vets and people on this forum when i was treating kya for worms. ive never heard anyone dispute it before.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO - In My Opinion

How are they gonna be passing it back and forth? I've had a kitten or two have round worms and NONE of the adult cats in the house were treated (just in case) because they were clean and all used the pans.

I thought roundworms were transmitted thru the mother (if she's had them) to kittens before born or if cats are eating poop (like dogs sometimes do). If there is another way, please explain.

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO - In My Opinion

How are they gonna be passing it back and forth? I've had a kitten or two have round worms and NONE of the adult cats in the house were treated (just in case) because they were clean and all used the pans.

I thought roundworms were transmitted thru the mother (if she's had them) to kittens before born or if cats are eating poop (like dogs sometimes do). If there is another way, please explain.
so they can pass it back and forth if they ingest it, i guess its been known to happen. its very common practice to treat them all at the same time. i didnt just make it up on my own and i dont have a masters degree in roundworms. im not discounting your opinion ive just never heard it before.

gsxrgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I talked to the vet last night when i had to call to get the resault of our Bernese's test for the lump on his leg(it came out neg we just have to watch it) any way, i asked him if it would be ok for them both to use the litter box because its becoming a pain to keep her out, he said that as long as the poop doesn't sit in there for more then a day it doesn't matter, i guess what happens is when the older cat would go to the bathroom after the younger cat pooped and the older one went to cover her's up and then her paw ended up touching the infected ones poop, she could lick her paw and get it. he said that we should ahve to worry about it becuase she is on meds for it now, we let her in there and we are cleaning it out the second someone goes in there just to be sure.