Frontline and Fleas

misskitty4088

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently disoverd that my cats have fleas. It was a pretty bad infestation and it was in the carpets too. I used borax to kill the fleas living in the carpet and vacume often. It seems to have done the trick. I am using Frontline on the cats and have found that it has really helped but hasn't completely killed the fleas. How long does it take for the fleas to die? This is appliation #2 and its almost time for another dose. I have enough Frontline for one more month and hope that it will finally kill the fleas.

myfirstragdoll

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hershey was the same way the Vet said for me to try Cap-Star it's a pill you give at it starts working in 30 mins and continues for 24 hours it's 3 dollars at the Vets. It worked, Hershey is now flea free.. and he had them bad..

kmk_420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Frontline Plus is probably one of the best topical flea medications out there. Every vet I've been to recommends it. Plus it is a very safe product compared to some others, especially for multi pet households. It usually takes approximately an hour after coming into contact with the animals skin and coat for the fleas to die. So while you would assume that it kills fleas and ticks on contact it in fact doesn't. A repellant will help keep them from coming into contact with your pet, but from what I've seen on my pets they still get bitten occasionally, but they don't have fleas crawling on them, which is really disgusting to look at. Basically no matter what with outdoor animals they'll get flea bites and with indoor animals they'll probably get a few because of the fleas sneaking in when the doors open or through small holes or cracks and such.

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree, Frontline is the safest most effective medication out there. The vet even had us use it on out momma cat we rescued with her 5 2 week old kittens! Its very safe and effective. I know you have multiple cats...all I can say is maybe do them all at once but seperate them for a hour so the dying fleas cant re-infest the other cats. Frontline supposedly works to stop re-infestations....but just to be on the safe side maybe serperate them for a hour or so. Good luck!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jezah

I agree, Frontline is the safest most effective medication out there. The vet even had us use it on out momma cat we rescued with her 5 2 week old kittens!
Did you use it ON the kittens? Or just on mom?

I'm just asking because my 2 6-week old babies have fleas and my vet told me they were too young for Frontline
or any flea medication for that matter...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution on my girls. It protects against fleas and heart worm. Its a little high but it is worth it. Phantom had fleas when we got her and not they are gone!

sicycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm Misskitty you are not the first person that I've heard using Frontline and still seeing fleas. I wonder if its not strong enough or something. I use it but my guys are indoor only and I never see any fleas so I cant really say if it works or not for sure.

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually Sarabeez, I just used it on the momma and the vet said as long as the kittens are nursing still, the medications goes through the milk into the babies. Just use it on the mom, and seperate the babies from momma for a half hour so they dont get the medications directly on their skin. The meds go through the milk and kill the babies fleas....Its worked for us!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Rats! They don't have a momma anymore- besides me
so that wouldn't work for us....

Glad to hear it worked for you though!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyFirstRagdoll

Hershey was the same way the Vet said for me to try Cap-Star it's a pill you give at it starts working in 30 mins and continues for 24 hours it's 3 dollars at the Vets. It worked, Hershey is now flea free.. and he had them bad..
$3? My mom's vets charged $7! Her three dogs and one cat got fleas while I was visiting. The CapStar tablets, followed by a thorough bath and a Frontline Plus application (>24 hours later, because I'd bathed them all with a mild shampoo) did the trick. I also washed all the slipcovers, bedclothes, and rugs, and vacuumed all the furniture. The problem was resolved right away. The tablets were great, but we figured they got the fleas in the backyard, so the Frontline was also necessary.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MyFirstRagdoll

7$ wow she was over charged... it's a shame when vets want to make a BIG profit..
It was worth it, though. We had the flea problem under control within 24 hours. I had gone to Petco to check out the prices for Frontline Plus, and they wanted $10 more than the vets' clinic was charging. I did get the shock of my life when I weighed my mom's "lap dog" (a terrier mix, whom I call a "Benji" dog) - I was figuring 20 lbs., but he weighed in at 30 lbs., and the cat weighed 14 lbs. The Labs were 100.5 and 99.7 lbs., respectively. I think the dogs gained weight while I was visiting, because they loved to share my breakfast of bagels and cream cheese.