Bank Fees!! :(

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate bank fees! I have never had any before until now. I recently paid my credit card online, and forgot to change my bank account to my new account. So they tried to take the $ out of the old account, which barely has anything in it. My bank charged me $30, TWICE, because they tried to take the $ out twice. I asked them to waive the fees since I'm a good customer and this has never happened and they won't do it. Arrgggh...

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have done that more than once! Yes it does suck to get ripped out of 30 bucks. But that is ok. you will remember next time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

I have done that more than once! Yes it does suck to get ripped out of 30 bucks. But that is ok. you will remember next time!
I'm actually out $60 and yes I will be more careful!

annasmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised they weren't more willing to work with you. A few years ago my husband signed up for a free credit report not realizing that they would deduct about $80 a month from your account for "monitoring." We had checks bouncing all over the place before we discovered the problem. Our bank saw what had happened, said it was happening to lots of other people, made FCR refund the money, waived all of our overdraft fees and got all of the busineeses to waive them as well, citing "bank error." After all they did for us, we will never bank anywhere else!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you really want them to work with you, just say, "I'm sorry we were unable to come to an agreement. What steps do I have to take to close out the account?"

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am thinking of closing it since I don't use it much anymore anyway. It's a government credit union...I'm thinking they don't care too much about customer service.

I remember a few years ago, I had an interview with MBNA bank and while I was listening to some of their calls, they were waiving fees for everyone who asked!

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bank always waives fees for stuff like that (but then they only charge a $5 'presentment' fee on my account rather than an NSF unless it is an actual cheque).

Like Jade, I would ask them what steps you take to close the account as it usually shocks them into being a little nicer

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or ask to talk to someone higher up on the food chain that has the responsibility to waive the fees.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnnasMom

I'm surprised they weren't more willing to work with you. A few years ago my husband signed up for a free credit report not realizing that they would deduct about $80 a month from your account for "monitoring." We had checks bouncing all over the place before we discovered the problem. Our bank saw what had happened, said it was happening to lots of other people, made FCR refund the money, waived all of our overdraft fees and got all of the busineeses to waive them as well, citing "bank error." After all they did for us, we will never bank anywhere else!
Wow, thats super awesome of them to waive all those fees - I would have been going NUTS!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL...

I think I'm going to go over in person tomorrow.

mybabies

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My bank wont waive fees either. When I got talked into getting DISH network over direct TV I was told they would take out so much money and then give it back (they REALLY meant it would come off of my next month's bill but the guy did NOT say THAT). I allowed as how I would switch to dISH and they took out the money and suddenly my checks started bouncing. THAT was when I found out they were not going to put it back and I told my bank what was going on but they still charged me and refused to waive the fees.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Or ask to talk to someone higher up on the food chain that has the responsibility to waive the fees.
basically, whenever the person you're talking to says they can't do what you want them to do, you say these words, "May I speak to your supervisor?" then, if that person can't help, you say them again. once you run out of supervisors [does happen] & still haven't been helped, you threaten to cancel the account/remove your business/whatever. always be polite, but firm.

can you tell i used to be a professional phone worker?

crystal211

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain - last Christmas a company made a mistake and charged me twice, making me go negative, and I didn't realize it for a few days. The bank refused to take away the fees, and would only refund me for ONE day of fees, even though it wasn't my fault.

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Its illegal to charge all these fees as banks are only meant to charge enough to cover costs and aren't allowed to impose fines. There's a letter you can find on the web and send to the bank which was written by a lawyer, stating that and why the charges are illegal. My bf lost over £100 in charges, and charges for the charges etc, he wrote to the bank, enclosing the letter and was refunded the money. I think he's still going to close his account though.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hate bank fees
I went over my overdraft limit a couple of months ago and got charged £90 for doing so! Ok, it's my fault I went over my limit, but £90 is ridiculous. I can't see how they can justify that.