Please send good vibes for Pippin!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pippin hasn't been exactly himself for the past couple of days.Today he started making more and more frequent trips to the litter box, straining, then moving on in frustration. He is still passing a little fluid but I think he's got some crystalizations or a blockage. I'm taking him to the vet when they open in 3 hours, but I haven't been able to sleep with worry. He's feeling a little feverish and is acting more lethargic.
If I had a way to get him to the emergency vet tonight, I would. Even if just to make me feel better lol!
But I'll have to wait until 8, unfortunately.
Wish me luck and send him healing vibes that it's an easy procedure for him today, please!
I almost lost him last year from an intestinal blockage and I worry about him!

Devlyn

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Oh Devlyn
I hope Pippin will be ok. You're doing the right thing taking him to the vet. Keep us posted, and until you can get him to the vet why not look at Fur Pics or something to keep your mind off it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's what I've been doing, and reading about other's problems. Sometimes that helps take your mind off your own.
He's sleeping now, but I still can't.

Devlyn

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I hope your wait is over and that everything is ok. The early morning hours are horrible when you're worried about something.

cat mommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sending
and
vibes to Pippin
. Your cats are very pretty, I love your black kitty with his little baby

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending good vibes for Pippin...let us know what the vet says.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Pippin is doing fine now thank god!!!! Fortunately, he was not blocked, no crystals, no uri. It appears his straining in the box was because of constipation!! lol
SubQ fluids, x-rays, poking, prodding, urinalysis later, he apparently has a hair ball in his intestines that he's having a bit of difficulty moving through. He's a silly boy and is always eating fur off the carpet and the cat brush. lol
So he's back home now and wondering what all the fuss is about.

Thanks for all the good vibes. I'm quick to hit the panic button since I nearly lost him last year to an intestinal blockage.

Devlyn

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you muchly! The black boy is Simple, who is chilling in my lap right now. His motto is "It's better to be pretty than smart". LOL!

Devlyn

Originally Posted by Cat Mommy

Sending
and
vibes to Pippin
. Your cats are very pretty, I love your black kitty with his little baby

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sadly, Pippin is back to feeling poorly. He threw up twice last night, still hasn't pooped, and is now starting to get lethargic. Back to the vet he goes as soon as I find a ride.
I'm guessing the "hairball" we saw in his intestines yesterday is a blockage that he can't pass on his own. He had something similar last February that almost killed him before we figured it out.
I am always so happy when the vet says, "oh, he's ok. We checked out everything and we're sending him home" but it's never that easy is it? Everytime that has happened when I feel my cat is sick, he ends up getting worse and worse.

Cross your fingers that Pippin pulls through this one!

Devlyn

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much!
He's very special to me and I don't want to lose him.
I've got a ride coming so he'll be in the capable hands of the vet shortly. I fear what this is going to cost me but it's worth it for him.

Devlyn

Originally Posted by Pombina

Oh no
I am so sorry he's still not feeling well. Keeping everything crossed for Pippin. Please update us as soon as you have any information

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy! My Fatty went through the same ordeal MANY times...scared me half to death, so I feel your pain. *big hugs* For him, it always resulted in an enema, and he's good as new. (Not to mention that now he eats a lot of strained pumpkin, and high-fiber food, as well as daily laxitive to keep his bowels moving) Crossing my fingers that it's something simple to take care of and that he feels better soon!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's the scariest part of it, I think, that I know this won't be a one time event. That he'll continue to get blockages for the rest of his life. Last time, he had to get split from stem to stern so they could clear out his innards, but this time they feel he's just impacted, so he's getting some enemas and fluids today.
The vet mentioned yesterday that I should look at daily therapy for him to keep his bowels moving steadily. How do you get fatty to eat pumpkin? I've tried giving it to pippin in the past but he hates it lol!
I would much prefer something preventative than go through all the stress and sadness that dealing with a sick pet entails.
Thanks for your good thoughts. I'm feeling a bit better now.

Devlyn

Originally Posted by GirlSetsFiyah

Poor little guy! My Fatty went through the same ordeal MANY times...scared me half to death, so I feel your pain. *big hugs* For him, it always resulted in an enema, and he's good as new. (Not to mention that now he eats a lot of strained pumpkin, and high-fiber food, as well as daily laxitive to keep his bowels moving) Crossing my fingers that it's something simple to take care of and that he feels better soon!

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think the underlying issue behind my guys stomach and bowel problems is because he was fed HORRIBLE food (Alley Cat, basically pure crap.) until he came into my care 4 years ago. I'm lucky he's not a picky eater, so I just mix his daily pumpkin in with some wet food (Techni-cal) and he loves it! Another thing I tried was boiling some chicken and mashing it up with the pumpkin and he loved it. The brand of food I feed my boys is Techni-cal Hairball remedy, so it's high fiber. You should definately ask your vet if there's any type of laxivite that could help him pass the blockages out of his system before they end up in a vet visit. We use the brand Tonic-Lax, and it's a thick syrup, and he gets a teaspoon a day smeared on his front paws (The only way I can get him to eat it, LOL)
But like I said in my other post, I really do feel your pain. Long story short, We went trough 4 vets and an emergency clinic before we actually found out what was going on with the poor guy, and how to help him. Thankfully, since we found our new vet who helped us plan a daily diet, he has had no pooping problems, and passes everything out (You should see the big hairballs in his stool!).
Again, wishing you and Pippin the best of luck, please keep us updated! I'll be thinking about you and both me and Fatty are sending "Good Vibes" your way!!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Good luck with Pippen. I hope you're able to get him back on his feet and able to find some sort of preventative maintenance.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with your sweet boy, sometimes a mothers intuition outweighs what the vet thinks...only you really know your cat and how he normally acts. I had a cat years ago that wasn't acting right so I took him to the vet he said hes fine...next day my Dad takes the cat to the vet and said I know my cat and something isn't right and I demand an xray immediately!! After a 7 hour emergency surgery he was fine again..he had a toy with one of those elastic strings on it and a bell and he somehow ate it all except the attached toy, and it was entwined in his intestines!!! So always err on the side of caution these are your babies, don't feel like you are hitting the panic button you can never be to careful. Please let us know how that sweet boy is doing?

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Poor Fatty!
My kitty, Morris, was also fed a horrible diet before I got him which landed him with tooth decay and huge tartar build up. Fortunately, he has no problems now and he's fat and happy.

The vet actually mentioned a daily routine for Pippin after we get this issue taken care of. I'm glad to hear it works for Fatty because it makes me feel better about Pippin and his issues. I guess it's the old "an ounce of prevention" thing.

Pippin is staying at the vet's overnight. I took him in this morning and he's been there all day. They've given him a couple of enemas and he still hasn't gone, but the vet is still hopeful he will pass it on his own. Worst case scenario, they say they will go in manually and relieve him. Poor baby. I miss his little face!!! I'm hoping tomorrow when I call to check in with him, they will have good news for me that he pooped overnight. Crossing my fingers over here!!!
He's on IV fluids and apparently, is doing pretty good other than his blockage. I feel that's a good sign. During his blockage last winter, he went downhill very quickly and was puking constantly. I had to force feed him. So this situation at least seems a lot better. The vet and techs do not foresee a surgery in his future, thankfully.

Originally Posted by GirlSetsFiyah

I think the underlying issue behind my guys stomach and bowel problems is because he was fed HORRIBLE food (Alley Cat, basically pure crap.) until he came into my care 4 years ago. I'm lucky he's not a picky eater, so I just mix his daily pumpkin in with some wet food (Techni-cal) and he loves it! Another thing I tried was boiling some chicken and mashing it up with the pumpkin and he loved it. The brand of food I feed my boys is Techni-cal Hairball remedy, so it's high fiber. You should definately ask your vet if there's any type of laxivite that could help him pass the blockages out of his system before they end up in a vet visit. We use the brand Tonic-Lax, and it's a thick syrup, and he gets a teaspoon a day smeared on his front paws (The only way I can get him to eat it, LOL)
But like I said in my other post, I really do feel your pain. Long story short, We went trough 4 vets and an emergency clinic before we actually found out what was going on with the poor guy, and how to help him. Thankfully, since we found our new vet who helped us plan a daily diet, he has had no pooping problems, and passes everything out (You should see the big hairballs in his stool!).
Again, wishing you and Pippin the best of luck, please keep us updated! I'll be thinking about you and both me and Fatty are sending "Good Vibes" your way!!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with you completely!!! Everytime I have thought there was something wrong, there has been. Unfortunately, knowing something is wrong and being able to FIND what's wrong are two different things.

Thank god your dad was so proactive about the kitty's treatment. I've lost one cat (Pippin's brother Merry) to string in the intestines and then almost lost Pippin last year. It gets so bad so quickly! The faster they are treated, the better.
Thanks for your good wishes. I'm trying to stay positive, but I worry so much!

Originally Posted by Bella713

Good luck with your sweet boy, sometimes a mothers intuition outweighs what the vet thinks...only you really know your cat and how he normally acts. I had a cat years ago that wasn't acting right so I took him to the vet he said hes fine...next day my Dad takes the cat to the vet and said I know my cat and something isn't right and I demand an xray immediately!! After a 7 hour emergency surgery he was fine again..he had a toy with one of those elastic strings on it and a bell and he somehow ate it all except the attached toy, and it was entwined in his intestines!!! So always err on the side of caution these are your babies, don't feel like you are hitting the panic button you can never be to careful. Please let us know how that sweet boy is doing?