How long should the lethargy last?

demone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello all,

well, i'm glad to say that my six month old kitten, Thomnes, had a succesful nuetering this morning
. i think it was more stressfull on me...twas horrible knowing he was in surgary while i was stuck in class all day :/ do you know how hard it is to focus on physics when you're kitten is being neutered?

but all is well, we picked him up at about four o'clock this afternoon. he doesn't seem any worse for wear, except that his eyes were watering and was (still is) being very lethargic. he's been sleeping all night now, got up to eat, drink, and has used the litterbox once since being home. how long should the lethargy last after neutering? the surgary was over by about nine am..so it's been a while. should i be worried? if it persists till morning should i call my vet? When Spud was neutered, he was playing and being active as soon as he got home, though that was a different vet.

oh, is it ok for him to be licking around the stitched area? not excessively, just a little bit. my other boy (Spud) has been good about it too, grooming Thom and keeping him comfy hehe

and one last question. does anyone else here feed their cats "Brightlife"? just wondering if it is a well known brand. great food so far, and the only food i've been able to find that doesn't make Spud chew and loose fur.

thanks if anyone can help, i don't want anything to be wrong with my baby

- Adrian

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am no expert, but it is my opinion that different cats will react differently to the "sleepy medicine". It is normal for a cat to be tired after a day like that. Vet visits are stressful enough, then add anesthesia to the mix and it can equal one tired kitty. Sounds like he is doing well. Eating, sleeping, going potty. Good signs.
I will bet he will be feeling much better by tomorrow afternoon.

Also, I think a little licking of the area is fine. My boys both did, too, and we had no problems. As long as its not excessive, which you mentioned it is not. Just keep an eye on the wound to be sure there is no infection going on and that it is healing well. He should be fine.

P.S GREAT job for getting your boys neutered! If only more pet-parents were as responsible and caring as you are!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

demone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you so much!

well, you are right, this morning Thomnes is just a bundle of energy! he woke me up by pouncing on me and lots of head butts for food.

thanks again, i'm just a big worrier when it comes to my babies

- Adrian

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Glad to hear Thomnes is doing better today. Unusual name - how did you come to name him Thomnes?

trixtersmomma

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Demone

thank you so much!

well, you are right, this morning Thomnes is just a bundle of energy! he woke me up by pouncing on me and lots of head butts for food.

thanks again, i'm just a big worrier when it comes to my babies

- Adrian
You are so very welcome!
I understand the worry. Us catmommys tend to be overprotective, because our furkids are so smart and precious and dear to our hearts!

So glad Mr. Thomnes is feeling so good today! yayyy!

By the way, is the name by chance from the character in Narnia? That's what it made me think of, anyways!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does vary from cat to cat, but I'd allow a good 24 hours to get the anaesthetic out of his system. If he still seems lethargic then I'd give your vet a ring just to make sure everything's ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

demone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yosemite/ Trixter'smom- at first his name was just thom after the Tom from Tom and Jerry (his old owner, sortof friend of mine named him that), but he seemed to unusual and such a character to be known as "just tom", so i remembered how much i loved Mr. Thomnes from yes, the Narnia books haha, how how silly he was, as such is my thom. it is an unusual name, but it suits him

and thanks to everyone. Thomnes is doing great now, healing wonderfully, playing, jumping somewhat (still a tad sore i imagine), but i bought him some new treats and toys at work today, so he's happy. Spud is being a great "mom" too haha :]