Fleas!

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is there any treatment or any way to get rid of fleas on a 6 week old kitten?

I bought a flea comb and will be using it every day- but is there another way?

They don't have fleas very bad from what I can tell!

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sarah,

You could get some food grade Diatamaceous Earth and rub them down with it. You can also sprinkle this in your carpets and use a broom to rub it in, leaving it for a day or two before vacuuming it up.

It is not toxic. It is in fact good for the cats to ingest, giving them trace minerals and will also help eliminate worms if used daily over a period of three weeks. For worms, use 1/4 tsp. in their food a day. The only precautions necessary with DE is to not allow inhalation of dust when using as it can irritate the throat with people and pets just as any talcum powder or flour could.

pombina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The cats house, we just pay the mortgage..
Nismo had fleas at 8 weeks. We took her to the vet because we had never treated for fleas before. They put frontline on her neck and advised us to clean everything to eliminate any eggs etc.
Like your case, Nismo was not heavily infested so hopefully you should be able to get rid of this quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah- unfortunately I can't use anything like Frontline for another two weeks!

I'm nervous to try giving them a bath- they are about a million times friendlier than when I first found them but they still don't like to be held for very long. I'm afraid their going to go crazy once I get them wet & they have sharp little nails & teeth!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SarahBeez

Yeah- unfortunately I can't use anything like Frontline for another two weeks!

I'm nervous to try giving them a bath- they are about a million times friendlier than when I first found them but they still don't like to be held for very long. I'm afraid their going to go crazy once I get them wet & they have sharp little nails & teeth!
Giving them a bath isn't going to do much for your flea problem anyway. The ones that are on your cat will probably drown or more likely just jump off the cat until the cat is clean and dry,
but then the ones in the carpets, etc. will hop on for dinner after the kitty's bath anyway. Also, Dawn is NOT a flea shampoo. If you have a container of water with Dawn soap, you would use a flea comb to comb the cat, then dunk the comb in the Dawn mixture which will drown the flea(s) and prevent it from jumping back out. Then you would use a towel to wipe the comb dry and go though the kitty's fur again, and so on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahbeez

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks!!

I will try that tonight. I bought the comb last night and brushed Smokey for a min- I only got flea dirt though. My vet told me to drown them in alcohol but I don't have that much left and dish soap goes a loooooong way!

I am thinking that if I keep on top of it and comb them a ton I can get them over this myself since it's not that bad. If not I have to wait for two more weeks to use Frontline anyway...

Thanks again!