A ghost in my house?

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Something just entered our house. It is 2:15 AM here and I can't sleep. I am sitting at the computer desk with our front door three meters from me and suddenly the lock just clicked and the door went open. The door is locked from the inside and you need a key to open it from the outside. On top of that you need to push the door open with your entire body weight to open it. And it just clicked and slided open. My first reaction was to close the door to stop the cats from getting out. When I sat down again our Zasha walked up in front of the door and hissed. Now she is laying on the floor between me and the door.
My husband is working the night shift so I am alone with the cats.
I do not feel "alone" though. I am still shaking. Sleeping is not an option.
What on earth can this be? And what shall I do?
has anyone any experience of these sort of things?

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I have had a few experiences! My cats would follow this "thing" around the room and hiss...ALOT of things happened with it but it would totally freak people out and they would think I'm crazy if I went into it...

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's just freaky. I made a post a couple of days ago in the Behavior forum about on of my cats occasionally doing a strange thing. Shadow would pace around a couple of the walls staring up at it at and meowing really loud. I always wondered what he was looking at. I don't believe I ever noticed Midnight doing it. I'm not sure if I believe in ghosts or spirits or not but I've read that animals are more sensitive to those types of phenomenon than people are.

How are the cats behaving?

Bryan

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Zasha has calmed down but is still laying between me and the door instead of on the bed as she normally does. I am slowly calming down thanks to that the rest of the cats are calm. What ever it was it doesn't bother the rest of the cats.
For now I am more worried than scared. There is no way that door could of opend by it self. It was locked.
I want it to be morning so I can check that my family is ok.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you think it's a ghost the best thing to do is go out and get some white candles, a bottle of holy water, and some salt. Sprinkle the salt in your corners, splash the holy water through out the house, and light the white candle. When you do this tell the spirit it's time to leave your home and cross over.

PM me if you have specific questions. Good luck.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I am in no way saying that I don't believe that in anything "different".

But, Zasha may be sensing how you feel about an odd occurence with the door. And maybe, the door was not really fully closed, and the latch came open, and the door opened by itself (meaning, no forces of any kind).

Best thing to do is maybe try and calm down, relax, have some wine, watch some tv or something... try and sleep.

If it helps, alcohol reduces your ability to "sense" things extraordinary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

malena

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for being out there making me feel less alone.
I would love a glass of wine but the house is empty on it. I have calmed down though and I have walked through the rooms and checked all the cats and I can't "sense" anything.
When I was younger I always knew when a loved one was in trouble and I used to have strange things happening as some kind of warning. Especially if someone died. That option is more scary than a possible ghost but I think I would know in my heart if something bad has happend and I can't really feel anything like that for the moment. So I am okay now.
I will call my family though as soon they are awake and my ex husband to check on our common cats living with him.
Thanks again.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Malena

When I was younger I always knew when a loved one was in trouble and I used to have strange things happening as some kind of warning. Especially if someone died. That option is more scary than a possible ghost but I think I would know in my heart if something bad has happend and I can't really feel anything like that for the moment.
Yea... me too... except I still do. I usually smell the person who it is. One time, I was in a rather *ahem* personal (if you know what I mean) situation, and it suddenly smelled like my grandfather, very strongly, and the other person didn't smell anything... turned out he (gpa) had had a massive stroke. And other stuff like that. I even recognize the voices of family members who were dead before I was conceived (long story). Sometimes my sister, my dad, and I will all wake up in a cold sweat at some absurd time of night, like 4:32 am or something. Weird.

Anyway. I'm sure you are perfectly fine. Maybe, if it was anything, it was someone passing through to check up on you and make sure you're okay!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always take my cues from the cats. They are extremely sensitive, and in my opinion, would behave to protect your or theirselves if it was warranted. Now I don't have a lot of experience myself, but the night my dad died, my sister, brother, half-sister, and nephew all woke up at the same exact time - across time zones - 2 a.m. here. He was living alone, so we are assuming that was his time of death...

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

If it helps, alcohol reduces your ability to "sense" things extraordinary.

I love this.
I know if something like that was happening to me...I'd sure be running to the fridge.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a friend that comes to visit frequently. He moves stuff, does prankish things that he did when he was alive. Even does one of he things he said he would do to let us know he is with us. He had a heart condition and knew he would not live to grow old. He was 42 when he passed. His wake was a real hoot. It is probably someone you know dropping by to visit.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by krazy kat2

We have a friend that comes to visit frequently. He moves stuff, does prankish things that he did when he was alive. Even does one of he things he said he would do to let us know he is with us. He had a heart condition and knew he would not live to grow old. He was 42 when he passed. His wake was a real hoot. It is probably someone you know dropping by to visit.
That's so cool!

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work in a nursing home and when I worked the night shift I used to feel stuff. And I think cats are more sensitive to spirits than most of us or most other animals. I have a porcilian doll that creeps me out at night and for some reason I was just not comfortable with it being in my bedroom. It felt like it was watching me. I don't like clowns either. But anyway if you still feel at ease remember that cats are supposed to protect people (old tale) from evil spirits.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
, its ok, even if something is there they cant hurt you.
my grandfather lived in a house in WVA that was so old that there was story that it was used for people to rest and recover from wounds during the civil war. At least that is the story. all i know was that thehouse was very very old.

every member of my mother family has a story to tell you about stange things happping there. i saw something very much like your story, my cousin and i were sitting on the floor playing some board game when the front door(not the screen door)
knob just turned the door opened then closed again, followed by what sounded liked someone walking up the steps to the second floor. This was not at night but during the middle of the day.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really don't need to be reading this right before I go to bed. I have always been a bit jumpy at times anyway. And when I start thinking about it then its worse. My Tavia just jumped on the shelf and I almost had a heart attack. Thanks people. I can't resist a ghost story even if I do scare myself reading them. Hope your ghost goes to sleep so you can.

misstigeress

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Amimals do sense things better then humans do. According to my mother when strange things happen here, and they do alot since the house is over a hundred years old, to calmly and in a voice like you mean it tell the being to leave. Here are her exact words, "You have to leave here now, you are not welcome in this house." I always feel stupid saying it. Never call it out or demand that it show itself, you might get more than you bargined for. My german shepherd goes nuts and the cats hiss oh it can get ugly here when things like that happen.

lovemycodygirl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I agree - they are not there to hurt you. I beleive their just past spirits dropping in to check you out, check out their old house, etc. There is definitely something in our living room. I posted photos before. I took night photos all over the house, in every room and the living room was the only one that showed something, like little orbs. No other room in the house did, cancelling out that my camera was dirty. I've heard noises, of course not when my husband was home (he thinks I'm nuts!) and the cats were sitting right in front of me. And the ceiling fan and light goes on and off by itself, even without the batteries in it. The cats like the room - I have seen them looking at the corner of the room, nothing's there. No hissing though. When it was happening a lot, I just walked in the room and said that's everything's fine here, you can leave now (as my Mom told me to - actually she told me to light a white candle and walk around the house!). It happens every few months. I've sorta gotten use to it actually.

mirinae

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not much of a believer, but I've had a couple of things happen that make me wonder.

When I was younger and still living with my parents, I woke up out of a very bad dream and found my parents' cat (she was still my cat at the time -- I had to let her stay with my parents when I went away to university, and she barely remembers me now
) crouched at the end of my bed, her ears plastered to her head. It was really cold in my bedroom, despite the fact that it was the end of July during a heatwave, and I couldn't get warm. Besides that, I felt really uneasy, as if something bad had happened or was going to happen -- maybe because of the nightmare, maybe because PJ (my parents' cat) was obviously upset about something. She started hissing and growling at the empty air, and she wouldn't move from her spot at the end of my bed. I couldn't see anything, but she obviously could, and whatever she saw, she didn't like it. Eventually she settled down and the room got warmer, but I couldn't fall back to sleep and when I watched her, I could see that she was still uneasy about something ... Her ears stayed back and her tail twitched from time-to-time, but no more growling or hissing. I think that was the first and only time I've ever heard her growl.

Another spot of weirdness happens at my apartment now. Spike will hop up on the arm of the loveseat and glare intently at the top-most hinge of the living room closet door. Every so often, he'll start to yowl and cry at the door, and sometimes he'll leap at the hinge (it happens less often now, because the bookcase kind of blocks his path). I wouldn't have thought anything of this, because it just seems like normal Spike weirdness, except that my friend who lived in the apartment before us lived there with three cats, and one of them would yowl and attack the very same door. Since her cats and my cats have never met, it's not like her cat could tell Spike to keep an eye on that door ...

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I lived in an pre Civil War house once, and our spirit was a girl that did not like me. We had a fireplace in the bedroom, and she would knock only my stuff off the mantle. I was sitting in my rocking chair in the living room, and my motorcycle helmet was sitting on the mantle 6 feet away. It fell off like someone slapped it, and it landed at my feet. There was a room full of people, but nobody was close to it. She would walk through the kitchen when I was in the bath tub, and open the fridge. I was so glad to move from that house. It wasn't scary, but I got tired of her knocking my stuff around and breaking it.