Quality food for both a kitten and mature cat

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As most of you know I have added to my fur family recently.

I want to be able to have both Reilly and Sydney on the same brand of food (of course Sydney's will be the kitten)

I took at drive over to one of the large pet food chains today and was browsing through their eilses. All of the cans I picked up include the ingredients "byproducts" which is what I'm trying to avoid.

Any suggestions for a very good high quality food that will be good for both of them (Reilly also has issues with crystals)

Thanks!!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use Felidae, which is a cat and kitten formula and it has gone over wonderfully. It is by-product free and has only one grain.

Others are Innova EVO, Nature's Variety Prairie and Azmira. Pretty much all super-premium canned food (i.e Wellness, Evanger's, Innova, Prairie, Artemis, etc) will also be fine for all-stages and you want as much canned food in the diet as you can handle and the cats will eat.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
How about Felidae or Natural Balance, which are for all life stages? I doubt you're going to find many foods without any by-products. I feed canned Almo and Schesir, which don't have them, but I think they're only available in Europe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone!

There is a natural pet nutrition centre in my area..they have many of the types that were mentioned.

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You would find most of the foods mentioned above available at either Global Pet Foods or Pet Valu in the GTA. Both places are almost equal on prices.

When I first brought Nakita home, she was on Royal Canin and Wellness. But in the past 4 years I have also fed California Natural, Natural Balance, Wellness dry foods with good results. For canned, I have used Merricks, Natural Balance,California Natural and Nutro (on occasion).
I tried Innova EVO but it was too rich for her system even though she loved it.

Trying to find a wet food that Nakita will continue to eat was a real challenge in the past, since she hates beef or fish ingredients. Now we think she has a food allergy so I'm doing a trial again with the foods. Oh joy!

You may want to increase your wet food portions considering Reilly has a problem with crystals.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I went out and bought some Felidae for them and so far so good

The woman at the store was nice enough to give me a couple of bags of the dry food as well to see if they like that too.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've had good experiences with Felidae, but would like to warn you that the dry food can turn rancid fast, so be careful about buying huge bags of it. Jamie doesn't like the canned Felidae (patÃ[emoji]169[/emoji]), but loves the dry. I can only get the imported stuff, so you probably won't have the same problem, being in Canada.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've had good experiences with Felidae, but would like to warn you that the dry food can turn rancid fast, so be careful about buying huge bags of it.
Thanks!, I'll have to keep an eye on it. How long did your bags last?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With canned you need to only look at fat and protein not KItten or adult or all life stage ..

Felidea chn and rice is a hit here
Nutro Natural choice cans go over well
Merrick caifornia roll
Evangers pheasent
Meow mix
Natures prarie rabbit was liked
Natural balence
California natural salmon and sweet potato
Authority catfish
Blue spa salmon

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
lionessrampant;1340334 said:
I use Felidae, which is a cat and kitten formula and it has gone over wonderfully. It is by-product free and has only one grain.

QUOTE]

If you read carefully the chn and rice also has alfalfa if I remember right
so two grains one meat ... great formula

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miss Mew

Thanks!, I'll have to keep an eye on it. How long did your bags last?
About six weeks, but the food is often stuck in customs for six months or moree.

catfriend

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
[

QUOTE]

[/quote]

Not to be a nitpicker, but I think alfalfa is a legume

jezah

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually, I usually swear off big chains like PetCo, but they have a new brand of food called Pet Promise that is by-product and corn free. My cats love the taste and its really healthy and cheaper then Wellness/Felidae. My cats wouldnt eat Felidae anyways, and the Salmon formula of Wellness gave my cats bad breath sooooo bad.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catfriend

[

QUOTE]

Not to be a nitpicker, but I think alfalfa is a legume
[/quote]

Umm I would like to see proof ( not doubting you but)... my knowledge is it is a grass ie grain....

bluemum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Alfalfa is a legume (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legume). Grains are things like wheat, corn, barley, etc --- think of cereals when someone says grain. Some legumes are harvested like grains, but they are physiologically different (both in form and protein content).

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yup, alfalfa is a legume. It is harvested and dried like grass hay but it is richer in protein and calcium. Another hay legume is clover, while non-hay cultivated legumes include soybeans and peas. Grains are the seeds of grasses. And I studied plant taxonomy in college, used to work in that field, married a farm boy, and have to know a lot about hay for two very sensitive rabbits.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THank you both I learned something new and that explains why many cats cant eat it

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

THank you both I learned something new and that explains why many cats cant eat it
Are you thinking allergies, too? I'd always assumed alfalfa was a grain.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

I've had good experiences with Felidae, but would like to warn you that the dry food can turn rancid fast, so be careful about buying huge bags of it. Jamie doesn't like the canned Felidae (paté), but loves the dry. I can only get the imported stuff, so you probably won't have the same problem, being in Canada.
Good "warning"... my cats love the Felidae - but, they only want it "FRESH"

I keep it out for "self-feed", but rarely will they go back to the bowl for what's left. They "ask" for food right out of the "container" - but I think KiKi started this practice, and it's probably not usual for other cats? Mine will eat the "older" stuff when there's nothing "fresh", but they do prefer the "fresh".

We buy the 25(?) pound bag - for three cats this is the less expensive way to go.

Storage: I empty the bag into other containers that I can seal. I have large, empty Jarrow Protein Powder containers, that have a "wide mouth" and a screw lid.

The containers are plastic, but they had "health food" stored in them, so I'm hoping they're OK to store the Felidae. I'd really prefer glass, but don't have any "dark" glass to keep the light from "aging the food". I know, I'm crazy.

I keep the food containers inside the house and protected from light - not the garage where the temp fluctuates too much for safe storage. Heat makes it go rancid, well, that's what our guy at the holistice pet food store said - I believe him.

Gloria