I need help, my cat sprays on everything. Nothing seems to work

bubba77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MY cat sprays on everything in the house. I replaced all the carpet in the house and than she started on the rugs, I threw all of them out now she started on the table, doors, and chairs. It hasn't been this bad until about a month ago and now I'm going crazy. She stopped for almost a year and started up again. I tried all the sprays and cleaners, and all the other options like putting her in a room with a litter box for a few days. I do have out door cats and a one year old daughter as well as another female sister cat. I think it could be jealousy, but how do I stop this whole thing. I tried to give her away, but nobody wants her, I don't know what else to do.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by bubba77

MY cat sprays on everything in the house. I replaced all the carpet in the house and than she started on the rugs, I threw all of them out now she started on the table, doors, and chairs. It hasn't been this bad until about a month ago and now I'm going crazy. She stopped for almost a year and started up again. I tried all the sprays and cleaners, and all the other options like putting her in a room with a litter box for a few days. I do have out door cats and a one year old daughter as well as another female sister cat. I think it could be jealousy, but how do I stop this whole thing. I tried to give her away, but nobody wants her, I don't know what else to do.
Is she spraying or peeing??? There is a difference. Is she spayed?? Is the sister cat spayed? Also...are the outdoor cats spayed/neutered??

I tried all the sprays and cleaners, and all the other options like putting her in a room with a litter box for a few days.
Can you elaborate here.....saying you have tried all other options doesn't give us much room to help. So what exactly have you tried (be specific...brands of sprays and cleaners would be useful). What else besides those have you done?

Have you tried to contact a cat behaviorist???

Katie

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How to Stop Spraying

If the cat is spraying...he is marking his territory. Basically, he's saying this is my place, not yours! This can be a difficult habit to break but it is absolutely possible to do so.

Try the following ideas. Hopefully they will help!

1. Use Feliway to help him not want to spray. Feliway mimics the friendly marking that cats do when they rub their faces on things. When a cat smells a friendly scent, they are unlikely to mark with urine. The Feliway box will give detailed instructions on how to use it....follow the instructions carefully.

2. Hang aluminum foil or bubble-wrap on the places the cat likes to spray. Cats usually will not spray on foil or bubble-wrap because it makes an unpleasant sound when hit with the urine and it makes the urine splash back on the cat. Each day that the cat does not spray, tear about an inch off the bottom of the foil or bubble-wrap until it is completely gone. Don't remove the whole strip all at once because the cat may interpret this as you saying it is okay to spray here again. (No one ever wants to do this because is looks so bad to have aluminum or bubble-wrap hanging all over their houses – but, once they give in and try it, they find it works wonders. Try it, youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll like it!)

3. If you see the cat getting into the spray position, say "No!" sharply and then (gently) grab him and put him in time-out (in the bathroom for example) for only 2-3 minutes. Do the same if you caught him in the act.

4. Also check out this handy gadget www.sprayalert.com which works by making a loud noise when the cat sprays. This lets you know that the cat sprayed AND the sound startles them which makes them not want to spray on that spot again..

5. Check to see if there are stray cats hanging out outside your house. A cat will often spray in response to strange cats around the house. Make sure you don't walk through outside cat spray and track that smell into the house.

6. Be patient and persistent. Breaking the spraying habit can take a while, but it should work.

Good luck!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I don't see mentioned is whether or not you've taken her to the vet.
You really should establish whether or not this is medical, because if it is medical, nothing you do will change it until she gets help.

A lot of cats do things of this nature as it is the only way they know how to tell us something is wrong.
Please, have her seen and rule out illness before tackling behavior.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bubba77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes, the vet said that they were fine, and I'm really not sure if it urine or spraying. It use to be up against stuff like spraying, but it's also in the middle of the floor too. I don't know of any name brands, but I've used a deterant spray and urine gone cleaner and many others. Nothing seems to work. Both cats are spayed females and the outdoor cats I have no idea, but there are about five or six different ones that I see outside. My cats have no contact with them.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bubba77

My Lily does this any time something changes in my house. Either new cats, new furniture anything. Also if she decide's to be brave and leave my room she will run out and start marking. If I'm home a just say no and put her back in my room where she never sprays. My computer chair is usually the most often sprayed because it is nearest to my room from everything else. I can usually stop her before she actually sprays while I'm there. She usually shakes her tail first and then squirts. It's really annoying when I come home and she's done that all over the place. She's done it most of her life. She does it to mark her territory.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lotsocats

How to Stop Spraying

If the cat is spraying...he is marking his territory. Basically, he's saying this is my place, not yours! This can be a difficult habit to break but it is absolutely possible to do so.

Try the following ideas. Hopefully they will help!

1. Use Feliway to help him not want to spray. Feliway mimics the friendly marking that cats do when they rub their faces on things. When a cat smells a friendly scent, they are unlikely to mark with urine. The Feliway box will give detailed instructions on how to use it....follow the instructions carefully.

2. Hang aluminum foil or bubble-wrap on the places the cat likes to spray. Cats usually will not spray on foil or bubble-wrap because it makes an unpleasant sound when hit with the urine and it makes the urine splash back on the cat. Each day that the cat does not spray, tear about an inch off the bottom of the foil or bubble-wrap until it is completely gone. Don't remove the whole strip all at once because the cat may interpret this as you saying it is okay to spray here again. (No one ever wants to do this because is looks so bad to have aluminum or bubble-wrap hanging all over their houses – but, once they give in and try it, they find it works wonders. Try it, youâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll like it!)

3. If you see the cat getting into the spray position, say "No!" sharply and then (gently) grab him and put him in time-out (in the bathroom for example) for only 2-3 minutes. Do the same if you caught him in the act.

4. Also check out this handy gadget www.sprayalert.com which works by making a loud noise when the cat sprays. This lets you know that the cat sprayed AND the sound startles them which makes them not want to spray on that spot again..

5. Check to see if there are stray cats hanging out outside your house. A cat will often spray in response to strange cats around the house. Make sure you don't walk through outside cat spray and track that smell into the house.

6. Be patient and persistent. Breaking the spraying habit can take a while, but it should work.

Good luck!
That's great advice. I'm gonna use it with Lily and see if it helps!