TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Iams Boycott
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Iams Boycott - Page 2

post #31 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei View Post
Lately, unfortunately, I have been feeding my cats a lot more fancy feast than I should. I know it is junk food but they look so happy inhaling that stuff....it is almost like a happiness drug for them.....Cats unfortunately have such short lifespans. I just want them to be hedonists and enjoy every single moment in life. Life is too painful without the silly pleasures.
Yes, unfortunately, I see the same looks on the faces of McDonald's addicts sitting in their cars eating their "meals of the day".


These are the same people who face more health problems, mobility problems, obesity problems, and lack of quality of life problems in general. They see the doctor more, are ill more and more likely to be absent from work than someone eating an adequate and balanced diet. They are lacking in mental and physical prowess in general.

Too much of one thing is never good.
post #32 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
I'm a little confused about how animal feeding studies are cruel.

They take animals who would have likely been pts in a shelter, give them a home better than an average shelter, free and regular vet care, hire people to play with them... Honestly, if something awful happened to my cat and nobody I knew and trusted could care for her, I wouldn't be at all unsettled to put her in a feeding study. They take better care of them than alot of pet owners! And certainly better than PeTA.
I am curious because I don't know much about this. What do the companies, such as Iams or any others, do with the animals in the feeding studies once the studies are over? Or are the studies constantly ongoing?
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
I am curious because I don't know much about this. What do the companies, such as Iams or any others, do with the animals in the feeding studies once the studies are over? Or are the studies constantly ongoing?
From what I understand (and I certainly haven't done much research on it), but they adopt the animals out to good homes. I believe many of the employees adopt the animals - after working with them for so long, you're bound to develop a relationship with them.
post #34 of 55
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by valanhb View Post
From what I understand (and I certainly haven't done much research on it), but they adopt the animals out to good homes. I believe many of the employees adopt the animals - after working with them for so long, you're bound to develop a relationship with them.
That is good
post #35 of 55
I think PETA has lost all credibility long before this. They have been caught in half truths and lies time after time before this. The only reason they get coverage is a combination of sensational stunts and a few B list celebrities.
post #36 of 55
There are more reports out there other than from PETA regarding IAMS.
If you do a search you will find plenty to support their claims.


IAMS = animal testing. period.

purina pro is better for your cat at half the price anyway.
post #37 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
I'm a little confused about how animal feeding studies are cruel.

They take animals who would have likely been pts in a shelter, give them a home better than an average shelter, free and regular vet care, hire people to play with them... Honestly, if something awful happened to my cat and nobody I knew and trusted could care for her, I wouldn't be at all unsettled to put her in a feeding study. They take better care of them than alot of pet owners! And certainly better than PeTA.
Iams in this claim studid the effects of the nutrients on the animals while the animals were still alive.
IE they do muscular density studies by open biopsy on a living unsedated animal.

your statement is almost verbatum as the IAMS reply to the PETA claims.
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown View Post

IAMS = animal testing. period.

purina pro is better for your cat at half the price anyway.
PETA also has a problem with the animal testing at Nestle/Purina
post #39 of 55
Thread Starter 
So PETA makes all these claims about cat food companies...are there any that they recommend? (Not that I would follow recommendations from them.)
post #40 of 55
Bottom line .. ANY decent company will test ... whether via feeding trial like Iams and most big companies or by breeders like Natural balence all food is eaten prior to your animal getting by the same species ... I actually am not a fan of feeding trials but at least they are regulated and you then know that the food is reasonabley safe... Some not so great companies only formulate to AFFCOS requirements so the foods tested ON YOUR animal
post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
PETA also has a problem with the animal testing at Nestle/Purina
Yes agreed.
I do not like their give a dog a house and a chain philosphy either.
Im not PETA lover by anymeans, they do have the organization enough
to identify issues with animals. But their philosphy has drifted into the far right of the political ring.
post #42 of 55
Thread Starter 
I just don't like when someone (or some group) criticizes something, and then offers no suggestions or alternatives. What is the point of that!
post #43 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
Bottom line .. ANY decent company will test ... whether via feeding trial like Iams and most big companies or by breeders like Natural balence all food is eaten prior to your animal getting by the same species ... I actually am not a fan of feeding trials but at least they are regulated and you then know that the food is reasonabley safe... Some not so great companies only formulate to AFFCOS requirements so the foods tested ON YOUR animal
If you look at the packaging, most national advertised brands say they both meet the AFFCOS standards and have verified the food with lab tests. Just check the label if you want to avoid products tested on animals. I doubt that Iams is the only company to do more than feed cats and watch them grow. Personally I think those tests are bunk because they say that crap like Meow Mix is fantastic.
post #44 of 55
PETA is against animal testing in any form as an animal rights issue. What is unfortunate about that stance is that they lump all forms into one group and complain about all of it. When they do put out something about testing that is truly cruel and completely unneccessary very few people take them seriously. Kind of like the little boy who cried wolf too many times.
post #45 of 55
Too true. I'm surprised they don't advertise the fact that many common medical tests are performed using animal cells/products. For example, I used to work in a lab for a blood donation center and nearly all of our tests required something from an animal. Sometimes it was just goat enzymes that I think can be manipulated to be excreted in the mild. Sometimes it's stuff like rabbit blood cells and chicken liver cells. You can't do those tests without some type of cell that doesn't have antibodies against human blood.

It made me wonder how dependant our medical system is on animals. But right now we don't have substitutes for mammal cells or, for example, working circulatory systems to test new sickle cell anemia drugs on.

Sorry, this was pretty off topic.
post #46 of 55
It is SUCH A PLEASURE to visit a pet-forum where the people are intelligent enough to read between the lines on P.E.T.A. I choose to not visit another WELL KNOWN site just because a couple of TOP CATS *pun intended* told me that P.E.T.A. was not an Animal Rights group........such a load of crap. I tried my best to explain the difference between Animal Rights Groups and Animal WELFARE Groups........of which there are many. My hat is off to the people of this site that ARE WILLING to do their own research and obviously have determined to their own satisfaction the true intentions of groups like P.E.T.A.
Amber the Bobcat said things very well.......I'll second that

Winter Hawk
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny82 View Post
So PETA makes all these claims about cat food companies...are there any that they recommend? (Not that I would follow recommendations from them.)
Actually there is a short list they do recommend (most are raw / holistic expensive foods) found here

I actually feed my kitties holistic blend on the odd occasion that they are out of EVO and I can't get a bag for a few days and it is a decent food at a decent price and there is a few of the premium foods on there that I am familiar with
post #48 of 55
I would NEVER feed my animal Iams. Yuck. My babies eat California Natural, a super premium food.
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by icklemiss21 View Post
Actually there is a short list they do recommend (most are raw / holistic expensive foods) found here

I actually feed my kitties holistic blend on the odd occasion that they are out of EVO and I can't get a bag for a few days and it is a decent food at a decent price and there is a few of the premium foods on there that I am familiar with
what bothers me about that list is it seems to have a wide variety of vegan styles of food. great if people want to eat it. but cats are obligate carnavores
post #50 of 55
I think the vegan foods were directed towards the dog-loving population.

I actually like the list, especially Petguard. I used to feed Petguard wet exclusively and I would have continued to feed the food if it doesn't cost $200 per five cats per month.
post #51 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScamperFarms View Post
what bothers me about that list is it seems to have a wide variety of vegan styles of food. great if people want to eat it. but cats are obligate carnavores
Yep, I didn't mention it because that argument is a whole other thread

because we would all feed our cats a food with these as the ingredients
Quote:
GLUTEN (WHEAT FLOUR PROTEIN), WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, SOYBEAN EXTRACT, SEA SALT, NATURAL CANE SUGAR.
post #52 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by shengmei View Post
I think the vegan foods were directed towards the dog-loving population.

I actually like the list, especially Petguard. I used to feed Petguard wet exclusively and I would have continued to feed the food if it doesn't cost $200 per five cats per month.
Actually, every one of the vegan offerings caters to both cats and dogs.

Some of the foods on there are good foods, but as you say in your post, most people can not afford them, and personally, I wouldn't 'like' any list that was almsot 50% vergetarian/vegan for pets
post #53 of 55
Many on that list are catering to an idea ... NOT what is best for the animals... A cat would eat roughly 75% protein 20% fat and 5% carb or related starch... A dog would eat on a whole 40-45% protein 30% fat and 25-30% carbs... And yes all of us feed them things they wouldnt eat in nature( including raw feeders ) most here aim alot closer than most of these.... Some of them are very good foods others I shake my head
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middletown View Post
Iams in this claim studid the effects of the nutrients on the animals while the animals were still alive.
IE they do muscular density studies by open biopsy on a living unsedated animal.

your statement is almost verbatum as the IAMS reply to the PETA claims.
So, mind sharing any of the numerous non-PeTA studies that you claim exist? All of the ones I have ever seen were simply what PeTA said, but without citing it. And why would you recommend a worse food that has been accused of the same thing?

I'm not sure what you're implying by that second part. That's how I felt about it after watching the peta video... before I ever looked at any response to it. The video is absurd.

As for what happens after the studies, yes, they do adopt them out. I've had the pleasure of knowing four cats who were part of the feeding studies at Iams. And all of them were lovely cats who had no evidence of the horrible treatment they supposedly received.

Maybe I feel so strongly about it because I've known and played with the cats that are supposedly so maltreated that they should be scarred and scared... and they aren't. They're lap cats, they came to dinner, they ate bits of turkey of my fingers... no evidence of the "torture" they'd supposedly endured for years.
post #55 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
So, mind sharing any of the numerous non-PeTA studies that you claim exist? All of the ones I have ever seen were simply what PeTA said, but without citing it. And why would you recommend a worse food that has been accused of the same thing?

I'm not sure what you're implying by that second part. That's how I felt about it after watching the peta video... before I ever looked at any response to it. The video is absurd.

As for what happens after the studies, yes, they do adopt them out. I've had the pleasure of knowing four cats who were part of the feeding studies at Iams. And all of them were lovely cats who had no evidence of the horrible treatment they supposedly received.

Maybe I feel so strongly about it because I've known and played with the cats that are supposedly so maltreated that they should be scarred and scared... and they aren't. They're lap cats, they came to dinner, they ate bits of turkey of my fingers... no evidence of the "torture" they'd supposedly endured for years.
Well Spoken!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Iams Boycott