Rural stray - winter coming

janice l.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My husband, our seven cats, and I moved into our rural house in January of last year. We first started seeing glimpses of Truder (short for intruder) about a year ago, and figured him for a neighbor's cat - we didn't have any close contact with him at this point.

This spring, our cats decided to tear a hole in our front screen door so they could come and go as they pleased. Not having the tools to put in a real cat door, we decided to leave it for a while. Not long after, we'd start hearing an unfamiliar tentative meowing sound - but when we'd look, there'd be nothing. After a few weeks of this, we finally were able to see Truder slinking to our cat food dishes. We'd call gently to him, and within another few weeks he was sniffing our fingers, occasionally letting us pat him. At this point we could tell that he had no real home - he was thin, and ate like a maniac whenever he came around.

After he started letting us touch him, he came in one day with a limp. Sitting on the floor, calling him, he let us hold him and examine him all over (though he was obviously frightened). Nothing appeared to be tender, or elicit any reaction, and there were no cuts that we could see anywhere. The limp didn't appear to improve at all over the next couple of weeks. He'd let us touch him more now, and he'd start purring too.

Finally, around the end of July, my husband got sick of the torn screen and mosquitoes and got some tools to install a cat door in our back door. It took a few days for our cats to become comfortable with it, and it seems as though Truder has never used it.

After I was certain that he wasn't coming in through the cat door, I started to leave food outside for him - and I've seen him outside now and then, however without the regular contact he was getting he has reverted to his very skitterish state of this spring. I can never get a good enough look at him to tell if he's still limping or not.

Winter is coming, within a month and a half we will have constant below freezing temperatures. I'm very worried about Truder - I know he's survived at least one winter, but last year was fairly mild overall for Saskatchewan (it can get to -40, and with snows many feet deep out here).

My question is more of conscience than practical application - I know how to trap him, and I would like deeply to domesticate him and care for him - but I don't know if it's the right thing to do. Should I instead see if I can build a makeshift shelter and hope that it is enough?

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My question is more of conscience than practical application - I know how to trap him, and I would like deeply to domesticate him and care for him - but I don't know if it's the right thing to do. Should I instead see if I can build a makeshift shelter and hope that it is enough?
I would do both...but trapping and taking him to a vet to be neutered and examined should be at the top of the list. There are some good articles on caring for cats in the winter:

http://www.petfinder.org/journalinde...cats/1.5.1.txt

http://www.all-creatures.org/ak/feral-shelter.html

http://www.neighborhoodcats.org/info/wintershelter.htm

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO: I would trap him and take him to the vet.

If you have a basement, maybe you can start domesticating him. I live out in the country as well.. And we had 3 strays dropped out in the cornfields by my house.. I kept them in the basement, as to not be around my cats. I ended up finding one of them a home, and the other two have really warmed up to us, and I'm keeping the baby,, Kella.. The little boy we are still trying to find him a home.. But they have come along way. They were really skittish, and scared, and bone thin. I mean almost as if they've never eaten at all.. We feed them and litter box trained them, and they get wet food everyday, plus dry food and clean water, and a box and basket to call there own plus toys. Honestly they turned quick.

I think it's alot safer and alot easier and more comfortable for a feral to get used to being inside. IMO... You'd be suprised how quickly and loving they'd change while being around other you and other cats.

We tried to trap a russian blue cat that was outside our house, and she'd never get real close to us.. Eventually we drove down the street one day, and she was in the middle of the road, ran over and dead. It was soo heartbreaking. It was horrible!!!

Heather

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janice l.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think Truder answered for himself yesterday, too - we had propped the front door open, and within five minutes of us sitting quietly, he was inside and eating like crazy!

Now to find a trap, because he's still too skittish for us to be able to close the door behind him

rarepuss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Janice L.

I think Truder answered for himself yesterday, too - we had propped the front door open, and within five minutes of us sitting quietly, he was inside and eating like crazy!

Now to find a trap, because he's still too skittish for us to be able to close the door behind him
oh wow.. what about making a rope from the door to you.. when he comes in, use the rope to close the door shut!

I'd agree with others.. trap the cat, get him to a vet and add him to your family

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

janice l.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Great news! He's almost as friendly as he was earlier this summer, and he's been hanging around inside longer before taking off. We're at the point where we're going to be able to move around him (carefully) without spooking him, to close the door - but we want to give him a few more days before we do that.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Janice L.

Great news! He's almost as friendly as he was earlier this summer, and he's been hanging around inside longer before taking off. We're at the point where we're going to be able to move around him (carefully) without spooking him, to close the door - but we want to give him a few more days before we do that.
Just make sure that you get him in to the vet to be neutered. Good luck.
Katie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise