How to organize books

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mentioned in the daily thread that I was starting to organzie my books. Do I ever have lots-esp paperbacks.
I have sorted the "how to", gardening, non fiction, the recent hardcovers, all the Steven King books out. Now I have the "older" classic harcovers and lots of paperbacks. I'm thinking the older hardcoer alphabetically; but the papersback by genre??? I'm going to have to stash some of the paperback in layers and for some find one of those exchange bookshops!!
I also have a give to SIL to read and don't want back pile, a goodwill pile and I pile of "older" books (not classics) that I will investigate their value and box up and put in storage(for now).
The shelves are pretty darn dusty too!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have some of my hardbacks separated from the paperbacks, but only because i think the hardbacks are more attractive, so they're stored in the more visible, guest-accessible areas of the house. otherwise, they're all stored by author. they used to be alphabetized, but i've gotten so many new ones since i moved 7 years ago, & have never re-organized them, so now they're only grouped by author, but not strictly alphabetized any more.

i really need to re-organize them!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
AHHHHH!!! It's my day off! Don't make me think about alphabetizing books

Sorry, I work at a bookstore. Yesterday I spent almost 8 hours alphabetizing and sorting books, although thankfully we have a nifty little scanner that tells you right where they go!

My books at home are sorted by size. The really big books are under the bookshelf in the living room, the larger and more expensive books are on that bookshelf, and then the really big/thick books are in the built-in bookshelf. The textbooks are in a tiny little shelf below that. The regular paperbacks are stacked in the bookcase in my room (to many to shelve correctly) in stacks of books that are all the same size. I know where books are, because I know what they look like. So I know where to look for them!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you could be like me and just stick your books wherever they fit! Just kidding...I really need to organize them.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is always a problem, if you are not a professional librarian! I have mine sorted according to genre first - History, politics, philosophy, gardening, horse books, novels, PR and Marketing, English teaching etc, then sometimes I separate out subgenres - European history, and classify it by date. I also take out science fiction, historical and thrillers in the novels section, and then classify everything alphabetically by author. And I keep cookbooks in a separate place, in the kitchen. But I think as long as you know where everything is, then you must find a system that works for you.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since we are on about books, what is the easiest way to carry books on a move??
carrying them in a box is wayy too heavy for me!

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

Since we are on about books, what is the easiest way to carry books on a move??
carrying them in a box is wayy too heavy for me!
When I moved last year, I put my books in a lot of boxes! Just find smaller boxes so that when the box is full of books, it won't be too heavy to carry.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenny82

When I moved last year, I put my books in a lot of boxes! Just find smaller boxes so that when the box is full of books, it won't be too heavy to carry.
that's what i did, too.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always put mine in suitcases with rollers when I move. That way, you don't actually have to carry anything!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I always put mine in suitcases with rollers when I move. That way, you don't actually have to carry anything!
Well i live on the 4th floor of a apartment block with no lift, and in my new place i will be living on the first floor with no lift!

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I moved from a third-floor walkup to a third floor walk-up... but I made my ex boyfriend carry them up the stairs

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Well, I moved from a third-floor walkup to a third floor walk-up... but I made my ex boyfriend carry them up the stairs

Good idea, may as well get him to do the dirty work!

gaia33

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to have hundreds of books...

Keep about 10 of your favorites, sell the rest through Amazon.com and put the profits in the bank. lol

Now I even go to auctions to buy boxes of books to sell!